What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give it up man. You are nowhere close to correct here. Custom roms on cell phones also void warranties and have done so for over 10 years.
Perhaps you are an attorney, but just because a manufacturer says that an act voids their warranty doesn't mean it couldn't be successfully challenged in court.

There is precedent. HP can't void a warranty for using generic ink much as they'd like to make people think they can. Dell can't void a warranty for installing Linux on a PC. There's a similar argument argument to be made for firmware.

That's why courts decide cases, not forums. ;)

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC88 as the router, and RT-AC68 as a node. For some reason the AiMesh stops on the router, and the node doesn't connect to anything. The problem is the clients on the secondary node, still are able to connect to the network, but with no internet access. Rebooting one or the other does nothing. Only a factory reset on both makes it be able to connect again.
So hopefully that will be fixed in the next FW... but if a node drops off the mesh, it should stop broadcasting the wifi network also.

Can I have someone please check PPTP VPN on this new FW. I still cannot get internet access via the new firmware. I will be flashing another firmware later without AiMesh to see if it is fixed in that version.

For the AC66U will it actually support the AiMesh component or is that what will probably not be supported when it is finally included.

Hi Everyone,

Update 12/16

Please download from here,for RT-AC68U(Family), RT-AC1900(Family) RT-AC86U, RT-AC2900, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oqeaAefItZ3zKzuXrngo6rqfYwMhhF_U

Change logs:
1. add client list on nodes.
2. Fix memory leak issues, and leave more computing power on nodes.
3. Fix setup failure with Dual band and Tri-band models.
4. hidden ssid, and smart connect (band steering) improvement.
5. Fix Eth clients ip issues.
6. Few GUI fixes.
7. Download ASUS router App now, it manages AiMesh.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asus.aihome&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/app/asus-router/id1033794044?mt=8

Update 11/17

2017/11/17 release AiMesh beta for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300

Please download from here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w4v_rEB3d7PIxWk3Gwofdke6dvuZOGa9?usp=sharing

Change log:
1. Fix Bug: RE offline automatically issue.
2. Fix Bug : Use wrong re_path value in RT-AC88U.
3. KRACK patch
4. Refine AiMesh Router search in AP Mode.
5. Refine config sync as triband and dualband connectivity case.
6. Improve performance with AiMesh enabled in RT-AC86U
7. Refine config sync for smart connect in RT-AC86U
8. Refine UI for f/w upgrade and some remind message.
9. Improved stability in AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node connectivity.
10. Refine diagnostic report issue in Feedback.

Notes:
- Tri-band models are now in early beta stage.
- For tri-band model work with dual band model, we recommend to setup dual band model to be AiMesh router(primary) and triband model to be secondary.

Update 11/13

Now we launch the AiMesh official site here:
https://www.asus.com/aimesh/
And all new beta version will be released in this web site.

For TM-AC1900, here are our statement:
TM-AC1900 is T-Mobile certificated product and with different license with ASUS open channel model.
ASUS will not provide any official firmware for TM-AC1900.
Be noted, once TM-AC1900 is flashed to firmware other than T-Mobile certificated firmware, the warranty is expired immediately.

Thanks.

Update 10/12
New version update fro RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC88U Ver:18000-g9564ee7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByEpTc0fDkeqZGQ2SldEakk3TDg

- Update QIS flow
- add DWDS support
- GUI issue fixes
- add RE manual firmware update, could use direct ip link to update RE firmware manually

Update
(09/22) New beta available today for RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U
- Improve system stability
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByEpTc0fDkeqZ21wbTFCeVZoa2M

(09/15) New beta available today for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqZUR0dGtSR1o0OE0?usp=sharing

And now we make it a official name as AiMesh.

Here are changelogs

For RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U

1. UI
- Change AMAS to AiMesh.
- Change alogorithm for onboarding progress % count.
- Add reset modem page into QIS.
- Add some hint for user when DHCP Server and wireless authentication type changed.
- www: change the position of separating the ssid of wireless bands checkbox.~~~~~
- www: accroding to QIS 3.0 SPEC, divide WAN selection into 2 steps.
- [Update][AiMesh] www : Modify AiMesh naming.
- AiMesh system.
- Cap : AiMesh router.
- Slave : AiMesh node.
2. Enabled Roaming Feature at default setting.
3. New Sync Configuration
- Telnet
- SSH
- Roaming assistant
- Smart Connect
- MAC Filter
- Syslog
4. Auto reset default when onboarding failure.
5. Add renew ip mechanism in RE mode. [Bug#244]
6. Fixed an issue as RE can be onboarded after user login by IPAddress/index.asp.
7. RE can't be search after on-boarding failure by CAP.
8. Other miner bugs fix.

For RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U
First beta release.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Wilson from ASUSTek, product manager of ASUS networking, and today we are happy to invite all ASUS router users to do AMAS beta test.

AMAS (Temporarily name) is ASUS Multiple Access-Point System, the core feature is to combine ASUS powerful routers to form a whole home coverage WiFi system with centralized control.

By ASUS internal tests, we found single ASUS performance router could provide extreme WiFi coverage for almost every standard house in north America. However, there might still some dead-zones in specific environment(e.g. concrete wall or large yard), so we design a powerful software upgrade for ASUS router buyers, by software upgrading, you can combine more than one ASUS performance routers to form a WiFi system.

When applying AMAS, don’t worry about losing any fancy and advanced features, such as AiProtection, Adaptive QoS…etc. all features will be supported, just the way you are!

Can I have someone please check PPTP VPN on this new FW. I still cannot get internet access via the new firmware. I will be flashing another firmware later without AiMesh to see if it is fixed in that version.

I just wanted to update that I have flashed
GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_19484-g00a3652_cferom_ubi.w

This is a non AiMesh firmware and it has fixed PPTP VPN.

Dev's in the most recent version of AiMesh firmware PPTP is broken and will not allow traffic to pass through to the internet. Just wanted to let you guys know.

A nasty one happen to me 2 times in 2 days. Some clients can't connect to GT-AC5300 acting as router.
Other clients can and traffic flows properly. Logs shows nothing in particular. A router reboot solves the problem, of course.
I've send the feedback from router the second time happened.
It's ugly cause I'm not able to correlate with any config changes.
Let's see Asus' response, but that most likely will be next year as in China is almost weekend.

I've spent the past several hours reading through this thread, and I never saw this addressed.:
Please! Read everything properly! Otherwise you're just creating confusion!

There's no wifi connection between the master and the slave because they're too far away! The only method of communication is ethernet cable!

The bandwith for some reason doesn't go above 330Mbps flat! There's no fluctuation or variation so this seems to be limited somewhere.

With the same setup this only happens with AiMesh configuration and with normal AP configuration it will max out the 1Gbps connection. This means AiMesh is slowing things down for some reason.
no it means you dont understand what aimesh is for
MY understanding of AIMesh is the same as muddymind's: if a wired backhaul is used, then the performance should be similar to a standard AP configuration, rather than the bandwidth being halved like in a repeater scenario. pete y testing seems to believe otherwise. Can anyone clarify?

aimesh is designed for none ethernet backhaul and as such uses wifi backhaul without the known 50% cycle loss that older repeaters and extenders have

I don't agree with your conclusion for several reasons:
- signal between my router and my node is around -78bB on 5GHz and -70 on 2.4. That coverage can barely have node connected via WiFi to node. Yes, it's connected on both frequencies but traffic goes via wire 100%.
- speed I'm getting from the node is around 500mbps. Far far more than I would get if traffic will go via wireless between node and router.
- if there is no wire between node and router it would be the same speed as for a repeater. If both node and router will be 3 bands model backhaul can be a 5GHz radio on each and clients can connect to the other 5GHz radio, consequently different channel and higher speed. I can't test that but in theory that would be the ideal way. But if node has only one 5GHz radio that radio will serve both clients and backhaul and speed will be half. This second scenario I can test and confirm it is exactly what is happening.

aimesh is designed for none ethernet backhaul and as such uses wifi backhaul
Then I will refer you to Asus's AiMesh site:
A rock-solid data 'backbone' connects all the AiMesh-enabled routers, with AiMesh intelligently choosing either a wired connection or the optimal frequency band — 5GHz or 2.4GHz.
Of course, nothing new here, even many/most of the packaged mesh systems offer ethernet backhaul for improved performance.

... without the known 50% cycle loss that older repeaters and extenders have
Then the question remains: why was muddymind getting less than 50% of the performance he was getting with wired APs? If AiMesh is intelligently choosing the optimal backhaul, then in this case, that should clearly be the wired connection, and his performance should be similar to the wired APs (but with the advantages of better roaming & load balancing).

Hello all,

I was researching about Lyra and found out about AiMesh. I remembered that I have an RT-87U just sitting in a box. Now, would this model be supported by AiMesh? I see that RT-86U and RT-88U are supported, why not the middle model? :D

Hi. Happy to learn about this opertunety With aimesh.
I innstalled aimesh on a couple of ac68u.
Two problems I found that I tought I could report.
Comming from merlin. I used copy paste on my settings on reserved ip adresses and port forwarding. To do that, i set the aimesh router on another ip range so that both router could be conected at the same time. But when i changed back to the ip range I`m using normaly. No of the ip tables changed automaticly. Only the router lan ip range.
And another smal bug. When rebooting router. I won`t Connect to the nodes. I have to reboot the nodes after the router has been rebooted. Then they Connects fine.

1. Will AImesh be integrated in stock firmware or always be in a separate firmware?
2. if separate will the update of this firmware follow the security update on the stock?
3. do I need to update every router separately in the future or will a central update function be available? (fast security update on all routers in the house)

1. It will be too painful for Asus to maintain 2 separate tracks. AiMesh is not necessarily a large piece of software and, if they don't decide to kill it, it makes total sense to have a single track. Considering in the opening statement they claim to integrate every other mesh option in AiMesh, this is something that will happen sooner than later.
3. That will be ideal. And technically not a big deal to implement. They do know what family the nodes belongs to and it is something fairly simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!