What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to reset both routers and do the whole process again and still the second router stops responding after a few seconds when connected to the first router trough ethernet cable.

I tried to reset both routers and do the whole process again and still the second router stops responding after a few seconds when connected to the first router trough ethernet cable.

Hi Sir,

We think we could reproduce this issue, and are working on next beta release, thanks for your feedback.

Hi, it is my first time testing out the beta on two on my AC 68U.

The firmware is working fine but I would like to know if the routers will have the option to chose whether they are connected via cables or wireless in the next update because right now it seems to be only able to choose wireless option. My two routers are connected via cable and I would like the secondary one to be broadcasting at a faster speed.

Hurry up with the DSL-AC68u beta,
We have 1X DSL-AC68u and 2x Rt-ac68u in media bridge and would love to beta test this.!!

Is NAT acceleration toggle disabled by design?, maybe AMAS disables the feature but even the toggle does nothing when I tried it

This will be only for routers?

I have one AC-88U, one EA-AC87 and one RP-AC68U and want to know if on a future i could use AMAS on my setup.

Thank you.

Is NAT acceleration toggle disabled by design?, maybe AMAS disables the feature but even the toggle does nothing when I tried it
it's known issue and still working on it. thanks for your report.

Hi guys,

I have 3 asus routers, Ac-3100, AC-88u and AC-87U. I'm very excited about this beta test. When will be available the firmware for this three routers?

Besides your main router how many additional routers could you attach via the mesh? Will you have the same issue of the throughput halving like when they are used as a repeater?

This is very interesting, I currently use RT-AC5300, but I also have a RT-AC68 and RT-AC66 in a drawer. I will try this asap when all these are supported.

Does this new firmware by any chance update the Linux Kernel version to one that is still maintained? What would be the Kernel version for RT-AC68U?

Kernel 2.6.36 (the one on the RT-AC68U) is soon 7 years old (published Oct 2010). Kernel 3.0-3.10 got a lot of improvements esp. related to bufferbloat.
And recent Kernel have supports for new network optimisations, such as TCP congestion avoidance and flow control algorithm (New Vegas, BBR, etc.).
Note to mention that 2.6.36 is no longer maintain upstream since Feb 2011 (more than 6 years ago).

Does this new firmware by any chance update the Linux Kernel version to one that is still maintained? What would be the Kernel version for RT-AC68U?

Kernels cannot be upgraded, they are tied to the specific hardware.

Qualcomm is not the best example when it comes to drivers support for newer kernels. They've been the major reason why android is stuck on ancient kernels.

Nevertheless routers also use chipsets and radios from other providers like Broadcom, atheros, quantena, etc. That means you must have the most common denominator on kernel support between all of them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Could Asus change the kernel when qualcomm would write new drivers.

Broadcom develops the SDK for their chips, and they never upgrade kernels as this would require a complete revalidation of the entire platform for both their SDK and their customers. This is simply unrealistic to do.

Kernels are never upgraded in the embedded devices world. Look at Android phones for a similar example - the kernel is tied to a phone's hardware, not to the Android version.

In any case, this is totally off-topic for this thread.

Broadcom develops the SDK for their chips, and they never upgrade kernels as this would require a complete revalidation of the entire platform for both their SDK and their customers. This is simply unrealistic to do.

Kernels are never upgraded in the embedded devices world. Look at Android phones for a similar example - the kernel is tied to a phone's hardware, not to the Android version.

In any case, this is totally off-topic for this thread.
It is not unrealistic, they have one platform to validate for an updated SDK. Then, the end-product manufacturer (e.g. Asus) can validate the 2-3 platforms based on the updated SDK. How does Microsoft do it for Windows?

In addition, take embedded devices like a Raspberry Pi, or a Turris Omnia, they keep their Kernel up-to-date, even when they have an onboard radio stack. So it is not unrealistic. It is part-laziness and there is no accountability currently for providing hardware with vulnerable software stack.

And you are right, their SDK is tied to the phone's or device hardware. They (e.g. Broadcom, Qualcomm, etc.) provide binary blobs for their radio parts (e.g. WiFi), routing features, etc. and those binary blobs would need to be recompile, update, etc. for each newer Kernel, and they are not ready in investing into maintaining their SDK, there is also no incentive for them. That's the problem also with Android (not limited to the kernel, but also applies to the Android layer on top), manufacturers like Samsung, Huawei have no incentive into bringing newer Android release to their older phones (even if keeping the old Kernel), they earn no money for that. The only incentive will be when phones, IoT, network appliances get all hacked to a level no longer controllable (many and often DDoS, etc.) that regulations will be put in place to force manufacturer to keep their hardware secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!