What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There,

New beta available today for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqZUR0dGtSR1o0OE0?usp=sharing

And now we make it a official name as AiMesh.

Here are changelogs

For RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U
1. UI
- Change AMAS to AiMesh.
- Change alogorithm for onboarding progress % count.
- Add reset modem page into QIS.
- Add some hint for user when DHCP Server and wireless authentication type changed.
- www: change the position of separating the ssid of wireless bands checkbox.~~~~~
- www: accroding to QIS 3.0 SPEC, divide WAN selection into 2 steps.
- [Update][AiMesh] www : Modify AiMesh naming.
- AiMesh system.
- Cap : AiMesh router.
- Slave : AiMesh node.
2. Enabled Roaming Feature at default setting.
3. New Sync Configuration
- Telnet
- SSH
- Roaming assistant
- Smart Connect
- MAC Filter
- Syslog
4. Auto reset default when onboarding failure.
5. Add renew ip mechanism in RE mode. [Bug#244]
6. Fixed an issue as RE can be onboarded after user login by IPAddress/index.asp.
7. RE can't be search after on-boarding failure by CAP.
8. Other miner bugs fix.

For RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U
First beta release.

its got me wondering if there will be a big difference using the 2156M routers as primary , the biggest thing here is Aimesh is an added feature , its not taking anything away from the asus routers as far as i can see

This new beta finally works for me! kudos to the devs!

As a added bonus, client list seems to be resolving all client names unlike the previous one that showed mac addresses.

The percentage of the AiMesh pairing now is too slow and it finished when it was about 50-60%. On the previous FW it would freeze for about 10-15s on 95% before finishing.

On the AiMesh node list the node appears as being connected via WiFi when it's clearly connected via ethernet (and it's too far away to get wifi signal from the AiMesh router)

For some reason the network speed on the node are bellow expected.
My setup:

AiMesh router -----(ethernet cable)----- NAS
|
| (ethernet cable)
|
AiMesh node
|
| (ethernet cable)
|
PC

When on bridge mode I was getting about 950Mbps when getting a file from the NAS. Now I can't go above 330Mbps... Any idea why?

EDIT: I just noticed some wifi instability on my phone. It stopped getting the wifi signal from the node and tried to connect to the far away router. After 1min it started again to get the wifi signal from the node.

Last edited:
On the AiMesh node list the node appears as being connected via WiFi when it's clearly connected via ethernet (and it's too far away to get wifi signal from the AiMesh router)

well there is your issue , if trying to setup aimesh you are connecting by wifi only , you cant have ethernet connected

the way you have it above you just set it up as an access point

No, I did the setup like it was explained in the pdf with them near each other via wifi without any ethernet cable. Afterwards I connected the cable with them far apart. The node appears as it should on the list but it shows as wifi but it is connected via ethernet.

Wired connection setup:
1. Setup primary and secondary AMAS router via WiFi first.
2. Now you can place secondary router to your idea location, then connect Ethernet cable
from each node. The secondary router “WAN port” to primary “LAN port”. For third
node, connect the WAN port to secondary LAN or Primary LAN.
3. AMAS will automatically select the best path for data transmission.

What I said is that I have better performance with the previous AP configuration than with AiMesh.

EDIT: It seems there's some issue with the wifi. 5GHz sometimes starts getting maxed and then fails in a loop. This behavior is by device since sometimes it is happening with my tablet, sometimes with my phone and sometimes with my laptop. Could it be an issue with roaming assistant?

Last edited:
What I said is that I have better performance with the previous AP configuration than with AiMesh.

of course you will if the wireless backhaul is to far away

in the pic below i have the rt-ac5300 as the primary and connect to its are 2 x rt-ac68u and the rt-ac88u

time to do some testing :)

second pic is inssider pic of how they look when setup

Attachments

• aimesh.JPG
    aimesh.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 947
  • aimesh rssi.JPG
    aimesh rssi.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Hi There,

New beta available today for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqZUR0dGtSR1o0OE0?usp=sharing

And now we make it a official name as AiMesh.

Here are changelogs

For RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U
1. UI
- Change AMAS to AiMesh.
- Change alogorithm for onboarding progress % count.
- Add reset modem page into QIS.
- Add some hint for user when DHCP Server and wireless authentication type changed.
- www: change the position of separating the ssid of wireless bands checkbox.~~~~~
- www: accroding to QIS 3.0 SPEC, divide WAN selection into 2 steps.
- [Update][AiMesh] www : Modify AiMesh naming.
- AiMesh system.
- Cap : AiMesh router.
- Slave : AiMesh node.
2. Enabled Roaming Feature at default setting.
3. New Sync Configuration
- Telnet
- SSH
- Roaming assistant
- Smart Connect
- MAC Filter
- Syslog
4. Auto reset default when onboarding failure.
5. Add renew ip mechanism in RE mode. [Bug#244]
6. Fixed an issue as RE can be onboarded after user login by IPAddress/index.asp.
7. RE can't be search after on-boarding failure by CAP.
8. Other miner bugs fix.

For RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U
First beta release.
As the RT-AC66U_B1 and the RT-AC68U run basically the same firmware can this beta firmware be installed to the RT-AC66U_B1?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

As the RT-AC66U_B1 and the RT-AC68U run basically the same firmware can this beta firmware be installed to the RT-AC66U_B1?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

It should, as these two share the same firmware code.

Aimesh seems to be working fine. I can't get web history or the traffic analyzer to work. They both turn on but nothing shows up. This is on a rt-ac68p.

Aimesh seems to be working fine. I can't get web history or the traffic analyzer to work. They both turn on but nothing shows up. This is on a rt-ac68p.

did you actually turn the traffic analyzer on , the switch next to where it says demo and agree to the trend micro thing and it applied the settings , seems to work here

you are correct though web history isnt working at this stage , just turned it on

of course you will if the wireless backhaul is to far away

Please! Read everything properly! Otherwise you're just creating confusion!

There's no wifi connection between the master and the slave because they're too far away! The only method of communication is ethernet cable!

The bandwith for some reason doesn't go above 330Mbps flat! There's no fluctuation or variation so this seems to be limited somewhere.

With the same setup this only happens with AiMesh configuration and with normal AP configuration it will max out the 1Gbps connection. This means AiMesh is slowing things down for some reason.

Bought two new rt-ac68u units as I am more interested in Amas (or as now named AI-mesh) than a dedicated mesh system. Need a mesh solution with wired connection.
Installed version 9.0.0.4_382_16443 on both routers.
Was able to link two routers using Amas after enabling WPS on main router (maybe add this to manual?). Unfortunately only wireless connection of Amas.
System ran stable for at least one week.

Today read a new firmware was available.
  • Downloaded and installed 9.0.0.4_382_17231. System became unavailable after reset. Pinging the router made it sometimes appear but for 99.9% of the time unavailable (no DHCP, no wireless connection, no ping etc).
  • Switched off linked router. -> no change.
  • Reset main router with linked router switched off -> no change
  • Reset main router to factory settings -> router became available.
  • Restored saved settings -> router again becomes unavailable again
  • Reset main router to factory settings again -> router became available
  • Setup 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless - > routers remains available
  • Setup guest account - > router becomes unavailable…..
I have restored previous firmware and settings again. System running as before.
It seems guest network ‘kills’ the router.

Anybody else experiencing the same issue?
Does the new firmware enable wired connection between units?

I have two RT-AC68U routers that I can't seem to connect using AiMesh. I've tried the latest beta as well and the main router can't find the node when searching. The node was factory reset as instructed and it's sitting 4 inches from the main router. I've also reset the main router several times and set it up in wireless router mode as well as access point mode. I also enabled WPS as someone mentioned above.

For those that got it working, could you please list your steps or give any advice, thanks.

For those that got it working, could you please list your steps or give any advice, thanks.

steps i did

install the latest beta on each device and from the gui factory reset and then once the initial setup screen came up switched both off

next turned on the one i chose as the primary and set irt up in router mode setting up everything including ssid name and wifi channels used , i think you have to use ch 149 to 166 for the 5 gig , dont setup guest wifi

once the primary is setup and running and only then

turn on the secondary , do not connect anything to it just let it boot up ( must still be in full factory reset ) , you should see 3 blue lights when its booted up

once the secondary has booted up go to the primary aimesh section and press the search function , wait for what can be 10 seconds to a few minutes

the secondary should show up , you click on it and add it to the aimesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!