What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have updated to the newest firmware on the main router (AC86U) How does one update the firmware on a node? do i need to go thorough factory resets and setup again from scratch?

Edit: Nvm, found my answer in the 2nd post..

Are there a list of routers that will get AiMesh when it's out of beta? I've got two AC3200, one as AP. AiMesh on these would be awesome.

Last edited:
yes via ethernet

you could dedicate the high 5 gig band with say 2 rt-ac5300 or 3200 already and use the 2.4 gig and low 5 gig for the clients , just set the high 5 gig band to a different ssid name and dont let anything else connect to it other than the backhaul

Neither of the links currently in the first post include the PDF instructions. Can someone share them (or can they be added to the current google drive folders)?

Alright, feedback on the upgrade process. Running 2 AC86U, from 17416 to 18000.
TL;DR Still rough.
Upgrading the main router took 3 times. First time firmware update screen went immediately unresponsive with zero UI elements. Second attempt the text below the progress bar inmediately said firmware update unsuccesful then reboots the router. 3rd attempt everything went smooth. Okay. attempted multiple times to install the new firmware manually on the node from he firmware page on the main router. After a few redirects, it always went back to router.asus.com, aka the main router. I am assuming that until both routers are at least on build 18000 the manual update won't work, but by design that will never be the case the first time you are setting up things, so perhaps the manual update option should be unavailable until the node is at least on a compatible build?
Okay moved into the node. There's no way to access the node directly, so i factory reset. I connect to the default ASUS_05G open wifi and i get an endless redirectign loop between the QIS and another router page. There's no way to access the sign in page, not from the 5G wifi, not from Ethernet. Switched browsers (safari to firefox), switched computers (mac to edge on windows 10) same endless loop. At that point i grabbed the asus recovery tool, put the router in recovery mode, and flashed via ethernet. Firmware updated, i follow oobe and i try following the instructions to set up as node. The setup text probably needs help from a native language speaker, i think at some point it suggested to connect to the wifi on the main router. Did that, the main router was able to find the node, but progress got stuck in 1% for a few minutes and eventually errored out. I think without rebooting the node, i attempted to add it again, this time directly from the main router, and was able to connect and finalize setting up. Routers were rooms apart, and just took me 2 attempts to get it to join, thebest experience i had so far but all in all still very rocky.
Once both routers were with 18000, i went onto the 'manual firmware update' option and i was properly redirected to a very simple page on the node router where i could upload the firmware file. Next time there's an update will give it a try :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!