What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's accurate if connection between router and node is wireless.
But if it's wired, it totally makes sense.
I, for example, don't need to cover a wide area with node, a bedroom and a terrace and I don't need a full power to the node. But I do need full power on the router, and I cannot compensate one with another due to walls and physics ;-)
Yap, you are correct. :)

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-11-27 下午11.20.26.png
    螢幕快照 2017-11-27 下午11.20.26.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 442
There is a installation guideline(pdf file) in here,
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqLU9fbUlCSGhhaEU

I am not sure where the problem is, could you refer the installation guide (pdf file) first. let me discuss internally first.

Thanks Arthur. Yes, I have that printed out and was following it to the letter. Unfortunately, the main router node still cannot see either of the node units after clicking search.

Can you confirm whether the AiMesh functionality works if you have configured a totally different LAN network on the main router? As I mentioned, my network uses a 10.x.x.x internal network not the 192.168.1.x network that is the default when you reset the units. Please note that I also have tried setting up AiMesh prior to making ANY other changes besides WiFi settings on the main router and still received the same results.

Thanks Arthur. Yes, I have that printed out and was following it to the letter. Unfortunately, the main router node still cannot see either of the node units after clicking search.

Can you confirm whether the AiMesh functionality works if you have configured a totally different LAN network on the main router? As I mentioned, my network uses a 10.x.x.x internal network not the 192.168.1.x network that is the default when you reset the units. Please note that I also have tried setting up AiMesh prior to making ANY other changes besides WiFi settings on the main router and still received the same results.
OK, i will try it with the IP as 10.x.x.x tomorrow

2 AC68Us, each wired to a switch that is then wired to the main switch (which is then wired to a different brand wired-only router). I was using a single AC68U as the AP and was considering investing in a different brand because I have a dead spot before I discovered this "magic" by ASUS. Removed one of the AC68Us from the box I'd put it back in to sell, and got to work.

Unhooking my PC from the LAN and plugging directly into the AC68Us was always annoying, but not hard. My biggest issue was that making the main AP an AP and not a router seemed to only be possible after configuring it as either a router or a node. I understand wanting to present simplicity as those two probably cover 95% of the users, but a button to see more options or something like that would've been nice up front. Given that the AC68Us are using a wired backhaul, performance is exceptional.

Both units are working great - and no more dead spot, so no need to invest in anything other than updating the firmware. I've actually turned the power down on the main AP, and wish, like the person above, that I could do the same for the node. I have TOO much coverage now for a more dense neighborhood :)

Request: the ability to see which clients are currently on any given node.

Last edited:
Well, I am using two AC68U and one AC68R with another AC68W, I did the setup and was a little confuse to set using the wire connection so I did using wps and wifi, the two nodes are working fine, but here are some problems:

If you try to set up and save any MAC or IP in DHCP / Lan Tab, the main router will stay out of signal and the nodes stop to work, I had to reset the nodes and the main router just because I saved one DHCP IP to test it

AI protection is working fine, even the alert is working for me on gmail
I wish I could use the DNS filter like in Merlim FW because I have guests at home and kids / adults with no knowledge about IT, so the parent filter will not help me a lot since I've been using the Norton Safe DNS level 3

The Qos is working good, no problem at all, I noticed that in the first setup my Qos finally show the speed till 1gb, right now is only to 200MB like before, I dont know how to change it, any idea? I have a 400 / 200 ISP Speed

My IPV6 is disabled, my ISP doesnt work very well with this feature enabled

The DNS is auto, the wifi log and traffic analizer is working but since I dont saved any DHCP ips the names are crazy and hard to define which one

I will not try to add the 3rd node because I have the merlim saved on it with all my configuration to switch if the AImesh stop to work, I simple just unplug the main AIMeSH and plug the Merlim to save the wifi/wire connection, the only problem is that I will need to reset the first and second node to factory FW and set it again as an ap router like were before the aimesh setup

I will try to use this entire week and see whats happen, with almost 60 devices / 20 on wifi I hope everything stay safe

I am a little worried about the RAM volume that came from 60MB to 130MB right now with the AIMESH setting against Merlim FW

Also, the ASUS app on android is not working anymore and IFTTT isant available too

some clientes can´t get acess to the internet, I changed the 2.4 and 5ghz to auto mode for all settings, but looks like some clientes are getting 192.168.100.xxx and right here I only have 192.1681.1 to 192.168.1.254 in the main router

some clientes can´t get acess to the internet, I changed the 2.4 and 5ghz to auto mode for all settings, but looks like some clientes are getting 192.168.100.xxx and right here I only have 192.1681.1 to 192.168.1.254 in the main router
I'm assuming you have the DHCP server configured for auto on your router. Restarting everything can't hurt beyond the time it takes - that should also force the clients with wonky IPs to pull new leases. That said, if those clients are PCs, I'd recommend trying admin CMD and using ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. Not sure how to do that on a Mac, but I'm sure there's a way. Another thing you can do is make sure that there's nothing else on your network serving up IPs - I have an ADT Netgear gateway that kept giving me problems until I put it on a VLAN because everytime the power went out it started serving some IPs until the router came online. Good luck!

I'm assuming you have the DHCP server configured for auto on your router. Restarting everything can't hurt beyond the time it takes - that should also force the clients with wonky IPs to pull new leases. That said, if those clients are PCs, I'd recommend trying admin CMD and using ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. Not sure how to do that on a Mac, but I'm sure there's a way. Another thing you can do is make sure that there's nothing else on your network serving up IPs - I have an ADT Netgear gateway that kept giving me problems until I put it on a VLAN because everytime the power went out it started serving some IPs until the router came online. Good luck!

I unplugged the entire home out of the power and powered on keeping only the router and nodes on, after this refresh I had the same problems, also I only have the fiber / ont - asus ac68 pppoe main router aimesh working

This system is amazing but looks like it needs more upgrades to work as it should, but it´s really good for the beginning

some screens:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 718
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 755
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 709
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 779
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
One more screen with the Node problem, sometimes it shows offline, even set to wired connection.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,013
It's looking like both nodes are now "in the game" and being detected, at least! I set my node as Ethernet preferred rather than leaving it to Auto, and then rebooted it. They also have to be connected through the same switch, as far as I know. All my wired ends up in a switch that is then connected to my router, which is connected to my modem.

I noticed this as well a couple of times. But clients can connect on that node and there are no problems in accessing NAS wired to that node. For what it matters node changes to online when I move a client on it.
To me it looks like an not so polish UI problem.

It's looking like both nodes are now "in the game" and being detected, at least! I set my node as Ethernet preferred rather than leaving it to Auto, and then rebooted it. They also have to be connected through the same switch, as far as I know. All my wired ends up in a switch that is then connected to my router, which is connected to my modem.

Hi Dave

At the first time I was able to choose between wifi and wired but now only appears to me the wired option

Also I noticed that sometimes some clients cant connect to wifi duo the IP shows 192.168.100.xxx and not 192.168.1.xxx
I turn off and on the wifi switch of the device till the ip revert to 192.168.1.xxx, looks strange

Even when the client shows "offline" its working for some devices
Btw, do you guys disable WPS? how can you reboot the nodes ( power switch ) ?

The easiest way I have found to reboot the nodes is by using the Asus Router app on my Android phone. You can log on to the Master and the nodes using the app. The app allows you to switch between routers and reboot them individually. You can also see which devices are connected to each node by looking at the 2.4 and 5 client lists.

My system is working fine, however it looks like it is using the 2.4 for the backhaul for both of my nodes - even the one that is probably 20 feet away (different floor though). Not sure why it wouldn't use the 5 but it does work and the speeds for my needs seem adequate.

It would be nice to have the ability to reboot the nodes remotely via the UI in the future.

Could you ping the "offline" Node from any device(NB....etc) ?

I did a reset and all the process again for the second node and now everything is fine, the only problem is if I turn the wps on the main router off the second node start to drop the signal, sometimes looks like its using the wifi and not the wire connection like I set

The system goes to online and offline
:(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171128-003804.png
    Screenshot_20171128-003804.png
    250.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20171128-003824.png
    Screenshot_20171128-003824.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 438
I have an RT-AC3100 and two AC68U routers. The main is the 3100 and the nodes are the 68U routers. I have issues with Wi-Fi randomly dropping on the nodes. Also, the 3100 will sometimes disable the 5Ghz by itself (as can be seen by the LED) and the internet connection won't work on any connected device until I reboot the router.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!