What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whether you are wrong or right either, I was just relating what I did as a reference for you, as I know mine is all seemingly working fine.

I just copied the 3 MAC addresses (and the Secret) from the original CFE of each of the TM-AC1900's I was converting (once I back-revved firmware and got SSH access) to a copy of the Goggles99 CFE, and noted (as others have) that the first 2 addresses are the same and the 3rd is 4 greater/higher, but "4 greater" being in hexidecimal addition not decimal addition of course.

Goggles99 concluded that his CFE was only needed for the AiMesh Router (master) anyway to make AiMesh finally work (thanks again to him for his great find), but my thinking was to just "do them all properly" the first time, which also means in the future I don't have to keep track of which one is the "Router" as they are all completely "fixed" and any of them can be the Router (in AP mode in my case, none of them will ever be my main house router actually doing the ... routing).

StephenH

This is a mistake I made. I just copied the same MAC address in all the 3 fields. Now I have to figure out how to fix it. Are the first 2 MAC addresses the "real" MAC addresses and the third is 4 higher? How do I get the "real" MAC address - is it what shows up in GUI?

The LAN ports definitely work on all 3 of my Aimesh AC68U AP Nodes, and of course on the Router main unit, also running as an AP.

StephenH

I will try again!
Another question-
I have setup One AC68 as my main router, One AC68 as my node and one AC5300 as my node.

Both the Node are connected via their WAN port to the Main AC68 Router Lan 1 and Lan 2.

I could only see two wireless Network as oppose to three (since my AC5300 could do three network)

What could be the cause?

Regards Wayne

Whatever you do, do not use auto firmware check and update. It updated all of my routers to the 382 non AiMESH firmware. Had to reflash each one individually again.

Also it would be nice if we could see which client was connected to which node. I can see that one of my nodes has 3 clients connected but no way to determine which 3 those are. The only way I have seen is to view the client list on my primary AP and any wifi connections that don't show a speed listed must be the ones connected to the AiMesh Node.

Another useful feature would be to be able to select clients and tell them not to connect to a certain node but only the Primary router. I have an AiNode next to my firetv 4k but it also gets a great signal from my primary router and because of certain latency issues I would prefer it to not do an extra hop if it doesnt have to.

I will try again!
Another question-
I have setup One AC68 as my main router, One AC68 as my node and one AC5300 as my node.

Both the Node are connected via their WAN port to the Main AC68 Router Lan 1 and Lan 2.

I could only see two wireless Network as oppose to three (since my AC5300 could do three network)

What could be the cause?

Regards Wayne
My guest would be because the AC5300 is a node so it is only broadcasting what the primary router is broadcasting. Why are you using the AC68 as your primary router and not the AC5300?

Was reading your signature. Which AiMesh firmware are you using? This official one or is there a fork somewhere of a 3rd party?

Last edited:
I will try again!
Another question-

What could be the cause?

Regards Wayne
The Version off the main page official FW 18943 (11/17)
Wow the official AiMesh website has the older version on it. Guess they never updated it. I downloaded it from there and got version 18489... Just downloaded the newer one from the first post.

Whatever you do, do not use auto firmware check and update. It updated all of my routers to the 382 non AiMESH firmware. Had to reflash each one individually again.

Also it would be nice if we could see which client was connected to which node. I can see that one of my nodes has 3 clients connected but no way to determine which 3 those are. The only way I have seen is to view the client list on my primary AP and any wifi connections that don't show a speed listed must be the ones connected to the AiMesh Node.

Another useful feature would be to be able to select clients and tell them not to connect to a certain node but only the Primary router. I have an AiNode next to my firetv 4k but it also gets a great signal from my primary router and because of certain latency issues I would prefer it to not do an extra hop if it doesnt have to.

My guest would be because the AC5300 is a node so it is only broadcasting what the primary router is broadcasting. Why are you using the AC68 as your primary router and not the AC5300?

Was reading your signature. Which AiMesh firmware are you using? This official one or is there a fork somewhere of a 3rd party?

Use the Asus Router app for your phone and it will show you what devices are connected to each node.

You can also go "low tech". The original MAC addresses and Secrets are on the labels on the back of the TM-AC1900's (now AC68U's).
That would be what you would set the 1st and 2nd MAC address to in the copy of the Goggles99 CFE you edit for each unit. Add 4 (in Hex) to give you the 3rd MAC address.

I'll be interested to see how you go, as you got one Node to work but not the other. I would have thought there would be an issue with both or indeed the whole AiMesh setup given what you did with the MACs, which clearly reinforces to me how little I know! :)

StephenH

Thank you So the AMC ends in 28. So, the "add 4 in HEX" will make it 2C, correct ?

Off the GUI NETWORK MAP page 2.4gh radio and 5gh radio at the bottom

These are the only mac address you change on a RT-AC68 or TM-AC

et0 and 0:mac are for 2.4 radio and Ethernet, the 1:mac is for the 5gh radio + 4

just replace the real macaddress with the xx:xx:xx:xx:09:C0 with the ones that are yours (6 digits)
hex digits....
example:

et0macaddr=04:07:99:5B:09:C0
0:macaddr=04:07:99:5B:09:C0

1:macaddr=04:07:99:5B:09:C4

et0 and 0:mac are for 2.4 radio and ethernet, the 1:mac is for the 5gh radio

admin@RT-AC68U-09C0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep macadd

et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
0:macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
1:macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (this one will be +4 of et0 and 0:macaddr)

admin@RT-AC68U-09C0:/tmp/home/root#

to check before flashing and after flashing
admin@RT-AC68U-09C0:/tmp/home/root#
save your old CFE
dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=original_cfe.bin

strings /dev/mtd0 |grep macadd
strings /dev/mtd0 |grep sec
strings new_cfe.bin |grep macadd
strings new_cfe.bin |grep sec
strings /dev/mtd0 |grep bl
bl_version=1.0.2.0

should see the macaddr and secret_code=???????? and boot loader

note: what I found out was (et0 macaddr +0) (0:macaddr +1) (1:macaddr +4) after loading AiMash Fireware. It must remap CFE /dev/mtd0 boot...

do a update from AiMesh to (merlins 380-68 or John's fork) , hard reset then reflash (I used mtd-write v3) your CFE after you edit CFE with correct macaddress... then hard reset ,update to Aimesh and a hard reset....
I was able to install 1.0.2.1 on Nodes, but reflashed them with 1.0.2.0 on Master AiMesh and all 4 Nodes... The AiMesh master will not work with 1.0.2.1 will not find Nodes... I could not anyway! I used the CFE 1.0.2.0 in /rom/cfe/ it also has mdt-write but I did't try it.....

Thank you very much for a detailed and very useful post I am copying it and saving it as a reference.

A few newbie questions - does the "hard reset" means reset with WPS button (or with the "reset" button) ? Where did you get the 1.0.20 CFE? On the CFE dumps page (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/), there are many CFEs tagged 1.0.2.0 - I assume you mean 1.0.2.0 (US) ** (DDR3 unlocked to 800 MHZ), correct? I am using Goggles99 CFE on the Master.

If I install the AiMesh firmware on my 68U.... can I still run it as a regular router? By this I mean don’t use it in mesh mode... only in standalone mode and add Asus routers when I get some.

I do have an ac3200 which I use in bridge mode.
There is no AiMesh firmware for that router. Can I still use it in bridge mode back to the 68U running AiMesh ?

Thanks. One more question - does the hard reset mean resetting with the WPS button or the reset button?

I always thought the Hard Reset was holding the Reset Button for more than 5 seconds ... and the NVRAM Reset was holding the WPS Button whilst turning on the power and keeping it pushed for at least 20 seconds. I do both just to be sure.

StephenH

Last edited:
StephenH and dirtyclyde here is an update on my node number 2.

1. I tried to flash Merlin 380-68 but for some reason, it would not go through (using mini-CFE or Asus recovery). So, I flashed back to an older firmware.
2. Fixed my CFE with the correct MAC addresses.
3. Flashed with new CFE, and then with 18943 firmware. Checked MAC address with dirtyclyde's commands - curiously, my MAC addresses did not change at all (unlike dirtyclyde's).
4. Started AiMesh join protocol on the app. Completed without any problem.
5. So now I have 1 master and 2 nodes. The first node has the original CFE, 18943 firmware - I will update the CFE tomorrow. The second has the Goggles99 CFE, 18943 firmware - and the master has an erroneous CFE (with wrong MAC addresses) but everything seems to work so far !

My plan for tomorrow is to fix the Master CFE, using the same steps and then flash the new CFE to the first node. Or maybe just let well be alone and not tempt fate ? ? ?

Thanks a lot to both of you for some great advice and help, Much appreciated.

May BITE you in the butt later!
Now if you look at the /dev/mtd0 (strings /dev/mtd0 | grep macadd, two base address and one base address + 4, seems mac address change only on the nvram valuables not the CFEs. guess the address's change the NVRAM only a reset changes them to default via cfe.....

I agree - I should go ahead and fix it tomorrow. I am just so thrilled to get it working after hours and hours of frustration on a simple error :(

Yes, I get the "two base address and one base address + 4" but even after reset, no change after the AiMesh upgrade, even after reset.

Thanks a lot again. You guys were great.

Yeah! Well done!
I suspect the fact it wouldn't "take" the Merlin 380.68 may be a clue, because if it was in correct state after following the conversion steps it should have been able to take any recent ASUS stock, Merlin or AiMesh firmware ... but anyway, you got there.

Yep, I agree with dirtyclyde, may come back to bite you, or break in a later beta (mind you we ALL may be in that boat using our "unsupported" AC68U's)

I'd take a deep breath and at least fix the Master, and if it was me I'd want them ALL done and identical, but that's just the way my obsessive compulsive brain works! :)

StephenH

I agree with both of you.

Will do tomorrow !

When I "fix" the Master, I would first have to "disconnect" and reset the nodes, correct? Otherwise they will not pair with the "new" master ?

StephenH and dirtyclyde here is an update on my node number 2.
3. Flashed with new CFE, and then with 18943 firmware. Checked MAC address with dirtyclyde's commands - curiously, my MAC addresses did not change at all (unlike dirtyclyde's).
You won't see changes until you clear the NVRAM. If you did a reset already, try another means of doing it (Try resetting in the UI, Use SSH, or the WPS method). If none of that works, the CFE may not have flashed correctly. Perhaps dump and inspect it. If it didn't update, re-flash it.

Well I have just spend a day of reading everything and I hope that ASUS pulls this off, I have been waiting for this. I almost bought a Netgear with their new mesh-network technology but I ended up picking up a GT instead. I have a spot in the house that needs just a little bit of a boost. Plus one for controlling the power output of the nodes and fingers crossed with getting the guest network up and running.

Great job ASUS for allowing everyone to test and everyone here for testing against their hardware. Now I just need to wait until they release for the AC3200. I will be following this thread!

Well I have just spend a day of reading everything and I hope that ASUS pulls this off, I have been waiting for this. I almost bought a Netgear with their new mesh-network technology but I ended up picking up a GT instead. I have a spot in the house that needs just a little bit of a boost. Plus one for controlling the power output of the nodes and fingers crossed with getting the guest network up and running.

Great job ASUS for allowing everyone to test and everyone here for testing against their hardware. Now I just need to wait until they release for the AC3200. I will be following this thread!

Yes, we all hope they pull it off, it would be a great way to sell extra devices and/or to use "spare" existing units and is looking very promising.
My take on it is that it needs to get quite a bit more of a feature set yet as there are a quite a few omissions and potential "gotchas" some of us have already identified, which mainly fall into the category of needing more control over individual nodes to be able to tweak things and have advanced settings.
Only time will tell how enthusiastic ASUS are about continuing to work on it and expand the concept to be universally useful.
But I'm fully supportive at this point hence my involvement.

StephenH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!