What's new

[Official] RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.378.9313

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&p=11&s=2

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9313
Security Improvement
- Fixed User-Agent buffer overflow. Special thanks for Hubert's contribution.
- Fixed null ptr dereference in https issue. Special thanks for Anthony's contribution
- Fixed buffer overflow issues.
- Modified brute-force protection mechanism in router login page.

New Feature
Support ASUS router app which make it very easy to monitor and manage route status and client devices and more.
Search ASUS Router in google play or go the following URL
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asus.aihome
iOS app coming soon.

Bug Fixes
- Fixed httpd crash issue. Special thanks for Merlin's contribution.
- Fixed blank web page when clients number over 100.
- Fixed Network map client list related issues.
- Fixed firmware login issue when connect to router by OpenVPN.
- Add reboot scheduler in Administration --> System
- Fixed warning page showing issue when only enable the HTTPS authentication.
- Fixed the slow UI issue when enabled Bandwidth limiter.
- Fixed repeated mDNSNetMonitor message in system log when there is a Apple TV in LAN.
- Fixed IPv6 firewall UI issue.
- Fixed UI issue when enable monopoly mode in printer setting.

3rd party app supported
Added Cloudcheck router software agent. Cloudcheck agent enables intelligent wifi diagnostics that provides complete visibility into home network performance and offers actionable recommendations for improvements.

To use this new functionality,
1) Download Cloudcheck app from Apple or Google App stores,
2) Make sure ASUS router is connected to Internet,
3) Launch the Cloudcheck app, go to “Smartifi” option in the main menu.
The app will automatically detect the router and activate the service after getting your consent

How secure is that third party Cloudcheck router software agent?
Is it really only active after using the App locally from the LAN side?

http://www.assia-inc.com/pressrelea...automatically-optimize-internet-connectivity/

"ASSIA is highlighting its Cloudcheck technology and the need to have router manufacturers enable the Cloudcheck services via the Indiegogo campaign. Using simple diagnostics, executed via the Cloudcheck application, consumers can determine whether they can make any improvements, empowering consumers to optimize their home Wi-Fi. When a consumer finds potential performance improvements, he or she will simply opt into a monthly service, available later this year, called Smartifi that automatically monitors, and continuously improves, Wi-Fi performance across the home network. This consumer SAAS solution can be easily integrated into any router manufacturer’s software, allowing the agent to connect to the Cloudcheck cloud server, which then adds intelligence to the router and enables monitoring and optimization to happen automatically."

In other words the routers gets connected to a third party server on the Internet and the remote application Smartifi is peeking into your home router to automatically make improvements.
What improvements? Channel changes or setting in the Wireless-Professional section or QoS settings?

The ASUS router app is also not really security friendly.
Why does the Android App need access to Photos, media and files, Camera, Device ID and call information?

Be all aware, nothing is really for free in this world: to make use of these "free" availble tools and services (like Google), you give up a little bit of privacy for uncontrolled use by unknown others.

Asus ddns not working for me. Message says "unauthorized registration request!".

Edit: it's working now.

Last edited:
As with the last firmware, whenever I look at the network map, or DHCP I get booted out of the GUI and have to log in again. I tried turning off manually assigned DHCP, my plan was to re-enter all my manually assigned DHCPs, that did not work however. I thought it may of been due to a different format or something. All the log tells me is something about watchdog going off and back on. Back on 376.3861 officially as I have consistently found this to be the most stable of all the N66U firmwares, including merlin ones.

As with the last firmware, whenever I look at the network map, or DHCP I get booted out of the GUI and have to log in again. I tried turning off manually assigned DHCP, my plan was to re-enter all my manually assigned DHCPs, that did not work however. I thought it may of been due to a different format or something. All the log tells me is something about watchdog going off and back on. Back on 376.3861 officially as I have consistently found this to be the most stable of all the N66U firmwares, including merlin ones.
I dont see that issue here, not in Firefox on Windows and not in Chrome on Android.

I dont see that issue here, not in Firefox on Windows and not in Chrome on Android.

Perhaps I need to re enter the lot manually on a clean install. One day when I can get rid of my family for a weekend and test it uninterupted :)

Perhaps I need to re enter the lot manually on a clean install. One day when I can get rid of my family for a weekend and test it uninterupted :)

No need to get rid of them.

Simply tell them they need to read a book. :eek:

No need to get rid of them.

Simply tell them they need to read a book. :eek:

I can imagine how that would go down with 1 hardcore wow player, 1 even worse minecrafter and a youtuber. My family are not exactly book reading types :)

I can imagine how that would go down with 1 hardcore wow player, 1 even worse minecrafter and a youtuber. My family are not exactly book reading types :)
BTW the issue also does not show here on Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7.
Do your router maintenance at 3AM or during dinner time :p

It all depends on which devices are on your network. If a device hits the buffer overflow problem in Network Map, whether things crash or lot comes down to what data/flags get "stepped-on" by the overflow. I've seen this on my 3200 running .9313 as well, so it's clearly something to do with the common code. I did not see anything like this prior to FW .9135. I did not see this issue with Merlin 378.56_2, but ymmv, as luck could be involved.

Why device list don't show link speed and connection time for wired devices? Any limitation preventing that?

Why device list don't show link speed and connection time for wired devices? Any limitation preventing that?

First problem is, wired devices aren't necessarily connected directly to the router - they could be through a switch. Or, be a virtual machine on a physical host.

My question was intended for devices connected directly to router. For those why not list link speed? And for connection time why not for devices connected directly and through a switch?

My question was intended for devices connected directly to router. For those why not list link speed? And for connection time why not for devices connected directly and through a switch?

How would the router determine if a device is directly connected or not? That's the root of the problem. The router has no information about anything connected through a switch, except if they actually request a DHCP lease (which they won't if they have a static IP). And even then, it won't have any way of knowing if a device has been disconnected or not. So, there's no way for the router to know the exact connection time of a wired device, or at what link speed it's connected to the network itself. It could be connected to a 100 Mbps switch, with that switch's gigabit uplink connected to the router.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking small, each device directly connected to router port. Based on your answer I think it would still be useful to know the link speed of each one of the router ports and the name of clients connected to each port directly or through a switch with the limitations explained by you.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking small, each device directly connected to router port. Based on your answer I think it would still be useful to know the link speed of each one of the router ports and the name of clients connected to each port directly or through a switch with the limitations explained by you.

This is something I already do in my custom firmware. It's of limited uses to the average home user, so it might not make much sense for Asus to add this to the stock firmware. There are far more important things for them to work on before this IMHO. In software development, it's always about priorities - you have a finite number of developers, who must work within a specific time schedule.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!