What's new

[OFFTOPIC]Any GUI program for Linux deskop for SCP file browsing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikeyy

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Sorry for offtopic, but my guess is that I'm most likely to get answer here.
When I was on Win 7, I was using WinSCP program which was able to connect to router and present files via GUI interface.
Since I switched to Linux Mint almost a year ago, I can't find any file browser which supports SCP protocol.

Default Nemo supports SFTP, SAMBA, but my Merlin router only wants SCP. :)
I'm basicly forced to use command line and VI for script editing, which is pain in butt.

How did others solve this?

Thank you!

I prefer the command line myself :) but if you have optware-ng or similar installed on the router you can then install the package openssh-sftp-server. This will then enable you to use a GUI client such as Filezilla on your Linux box for file management.

I'm running optware-NG (https://www.hqt.ro/how-to-inopenssh-sftp-serverstall-new-generation-optware/) but had a few issues installing the package directly so did the following;

ssh to router;
cd /opt
mkdir tt
cd tt
ipkg download openssh-sftp-server
mv openssh-sftp-server_6.7p1-1_arm.ipk openssh-sftp-server.tgz
tar zxvf openssh-sftp-server.tgz
tar zxvf data.tgz
cp ./opt/libexec/sftp-server /opt/libexec
cd ..
rm -rf tt

Now - this will still require that sftp be setup (due to limitations in scp) per response #3, but sshfs would be an alternate way to get any Linux file browsing GUI to see the data on Merlin.

Also note: the link in #3 doesn't work anymore, looks like the article was dropped.

Probably is not the case of the Dropbear version included in the Asus and yours routers firmware, but Dropbear got SFTP support some where in time (eg v0.50).
I see v2014.66 in my router which is a lot more recent than 0.50 and in fact I cannot connect to it using Filezilla. Not sure if Sftp will work if the connection is key based (passwordless). Will try later...

Probably is not the case of the Dropbear version included in the Asus and yours routers firmware, but Dropbear got SFTP support some where in time (eg v0.50).
I see v2014.66 in my router which is a lot more recent than 0.50 and in fact I cannot connect to it using Filezilla. Not sure if Sftp will work if the connection is key based (passwordless). Will try later...

SFTP support is there and I even adjusted its built-in daemon path, however you need to install the sftp daemon from Entware-NG, as the daemon itself is not part of Dropbear.

I prefer the command line myself :) but if you have optware-ng or similar installed on the router you can then install the package openssh-sftp-server. This will then enable you to use a GUI client such as Filezilla on your Linux box for file management.

I'm running optware-NG (https://www.hqt.ro/how-to-inopenssh-sftp-serverstall-new-generation-optware/) but had a few issues installing the package directly so did the following;

ssh to router;
cd /opt
mkdir tt
cd tt
ipkg download openssh-sftp-server
mv openssh-sftp-server_6.7p1-1_arm.ipk openssh-sftp-server.tgz
tar zxvf openssh-sftp-server.tgz
tar zxvf data.tgz
cp ./opt/libexec/sftp-server /opt/libexec
cd ..
rm -rf tt
I have been trying and searching for weeks! I finally got correct search terms and found this post. (sigh) Installed the openssh-sftp-server, it self configured, and now everything works when nothing did before. I tried so many GUI SFTP clients on my linux box. I almost broke my brain on this one. I can not thank you enough for this!

(Yeah, first post, long long time lurker.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!