What's new

Open "networkconnectfile" in win 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From what I've read online the "networkconnect" file is just a plain text file containing various parameters. Therefore it should be possible to open in any text editor and copy the appropriate settings into whatever Windows system you are using.

Reactions: KW.
Thank you @ColinTaylor you are right. It provides this information. Can I set it up with the build in VPN or should I use openvpn? In that that case if you or someone have the time, to tell me how to set it up on windows 10. I got a "afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx ip-adress" to use too and a login and password. But not sure what to do.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>L2TP</key>
    <dict>
        <key>UserConfigs</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>EAP</key>
                <dict/>
                <key>IPSec</key>
                <dict>
                    <key>AuthenticationMethod</key>
                    <string>SharedSecret</string>
                    <key>ExportedSharedSecret</key>
                    <data>
                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    </data>
                </dict>
                <key>PPP</key>
                <dict>
                    <key>AuthName</key>
                    <string></string>
                    <key>CommRemoteAddress</key>
                    <string>xxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
                    <key>UserDefinedName</key>
                    <string>xxxxx</string>
                </dict>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I got a "afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx ip-adress" to use too and a login and password.
The "afp://" is an Apple shared file service. Windows doesn't support that, so even if you got the VPN working you wouldn't be able to access the files through AFP. It's possible that whatever system you're connecting to also shares it's files using a Windows compatible protocol but I wouldn't bet on it.

This all looks very Mac-specific. If this is some sort of commercial system you're connecting to have you asked the owner whether it's even possible to do what you want?

@ColinTaylor. Thank you so much for your help. Yea that is probably the problem. No I have not asked about if I can use another computer then a mac. But I know its an unhealthy obsession with macs on the owner side:). I dont like the mac i got, it is slow, tierd and old. Would it work if I make a virtual mac on my pc maybe?

Last edited:
The last time I tried to setup a macOS VM in Windows I didn't get very far. It involved various kernel patches and hacked OS images from dubious sources. That was a few years ago so maybe things have changed.

Thank @ColinTaylor you for the warning. I have to eat it up then, dont want to open a security hole. Really thanks for the time you gave me and for the important warning. I really appreciate it!

From the hackint0sh instructions I linked to it looks like it can be achieved without the security issues I encountered provided you have access to a real Mac to download the OS image from Apple's website.