What's new

OpenVpn Asus (route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Krisbik

Occasional Visitor
Hi everybody!
I apologize in advance for my English.
I ran into a problem that confused me a lot.
I'm working on a solution for the second day, but unfortunately, due to lack of knowledge, I don't know how to fix it.
The essence of the problem:
I set up OpenVpn on my Asus router RT-N66U , downloaded the config and try to connect to it, but unfortunately I encounter an error (route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters) I use this vpn on a purchased dedicated server(2012(this win7)).
There is no such problem on the local computer.
Please help me!

Last edited:
Guys, someone knows what it is connected with?
I ask you to help me! I am ready, even pay after a solution to the problem

Best I can tell, there's nothing wrong w/ your configuration. It seems related to some sort of network corruption or bug on that Windows machine.

There are several suggestions in the link you might try (e.g., route-delay 5).

I also found the following, w/ a suggestion to reset your client's network.

Best I can tell, there's nothing wrong w/ your configuration. It seems related to some sort of network corruption or bug on that Windows machine.

There are several suggestions in the link you might try (e.g., route-delay 5).

I also found the following, w/ a suggestion to reset your client's network.

Hi, friend, glad to see you again! I previously went to these sites, but unfortunately nothing helped. I also changed dedicated - and did not help.

So, I am not very strong in the network settings. But on the local machine everything works fine. I wonder what is available at the dedicated(persistent routes) and there is no local computer
The same after these commands, I reboot the dedicated and everything, access via RDP breaks, I have to reinstalize the system
"
netsh dump netsh
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /flushdns
exit
"

You keep referring to the "local" machine as working fine. Isn't the server that's giving you a problem also a "local" machine?

I'm asking because sometimes users try to access their OpenVPN server from a client machine that's on the *same* local IP network as the server. That's won't work. The client *has* to be remote from the server. And by remote, I mean the client has to be accessing the OpenVPN server from the internet side of the WAN, and NOT using NAT loopback.

I just want to be sure this is truly an OpenVPN client that is *remote* to the OpenVPN server.

You keep referring to the "local" machine as working fine. Isn't the server that's giving you a problem also a "local" machine?

I'm asking because sometimes users try to access their OpenVPN server from a client machine that's on the *same* local IP network as the server. That's won't work. The client *has* to be remote from the server. And by remote, I mean the client has to be accessing the OpenVPN server from the internet side of the WAN, and NOT using NAT loopback.

I just want to be sure this is truly an OpenVPN client that is *remote* to the OpenVPN server.
This router in my office, which is very far from me
I connect to him from the house where I live, through OpenVPN without problems
I bought a dedicated, I can't connect to the OpenVPN network to my router.
The reason for buying dedicated, I need a strong dedicated because my computer is weak
Sorry for my english

+
I will also add, I just bought another dedicated, the problem is still the same
Moreover, in different companies I bought and for sure they have another IP)

Are both dedicated machines running Windows 7? That's not even supported anymore (it ended two years ago). Perhaps it's a Windows 7 specific problem. Or at least w/ the more current version of OpenVPN server on the router.

Are both dedicated machines running Windows 7? That's not even supported anymore (it ended two years ago). Perhaps it's a Windows 7 specific problem. Or at least w/ the more current version of OpenVPN server on the router.
I can put Windows 10 in my dedicated
But I do not think that the problem is in it, the windows 7 installed on my local PC.

I can put Windows 10 in my dedicated
But I do not think that the problem is in it, the windows 7 installed on my local PC.

Are all Windows 7 machines running the desktop version of the OS, or are the servers actually running the server version?

I just changed windows server to 2019, problem still
I don't think it's an operating system issue, but something else.
help me please

Try adding the following to the OpenVPN client's config file.

Code:
route 78.82.171.44 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

I don't know why it refuses to add a static route to bind the public IP of the server to the WAN (or more specifically, its default gateway). It just won't do it.

Unless it's a bug in Windows, there has to be something different between these other machines that don't work, and the one PC that does. Are the server machines perhaps configured to use a VM?

Let's dump the routing tables on the servers and the PC to compare them. Esp. when the PC is successfully connected.

I don't know why it refuses to add a static route to bind the public IP of the server to the WAN (or more specifically, its default gateway). It just won't do it.

Unless it's a bug in Windows, there has to be something different between these other machines that don't work, and the one PC that does. Are the server machines perhaps configured to use a VM?

Let's dump the routing tables on the servers and the PC to compare them. Esp. when the PC is successfully connected.
Do you mean, will it connect to me from the local PC and send you logs?
I did not quite understand
So, I can send you a config server, I have access to SSH.

Do you mean, will it connect to me from the local PC and send you logs?
I did not quite understand
So, I can send you a config server, I have access to SSH.

In your opening post, you stated "There is no such problem on the local computer."

I take that to mean that you were able to connect to the remote OpenVPN server and use it w/ no problems from a computer on the same local network where these "dedicated" servers are having problems. If that's the case, then presumably the routing tables on both the working local computer and NON working dedicated servers should be very similar, if not exactly the same. If NOT, then perhaps thay might provide a clue as to the problem.