What's new

OpenVPN client 1, 3 and 5 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sircurse

New Around Here
Hi there,

I m running AC86U with version 386.7_2

Trying to setup multiple VPN clients, but I cannot on some channels, by now I can only bring up client 2 and 4. The others with exactly same configuration doesnt start.

Any idea what can be causing it?
At the logs everything that shows to me is the following lines (related to vpn):
rc_service: httpd 2145:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start vpnclient1)
openvpn: Starting OpenVPN client 1 failed!
openvpn-routing: Clearing routing table for VPN client 1
custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event-end (args: start vpnclient1)

Thank you,
Curse.

This is the output:
/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 100.00
Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32
CPU implementer : 0x42
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x100
CPU revision : 0

Last edited:
It looks like you have some sort of CPU failure. One of the processor's cores is missing. The firmware assigns VPN client processes to alternate cores which is why they are failing. Have a look at this thread:

On the plus side a failing core should be something Asus will RMA under manufacturers defect as long as you install stock firmware back to it.
And feel like dealing with their highly reputable and hassle free RMA department, but first you have to contend with the teirs of their teknical support departments.

And feel like dealing with their highly reputable and hassle free RMA department, but first you have to contend with the teirs of their teknical support departments.
Haha true. I have sympathy as being former technical support (other companies), but get me on the other end after a 2 hour wait on hold, and that sympathy usually evaporated long ago, but also really depends on the agent.

I find people that come prepared and have already done the heavy lifting makes it easier if all I have to do is document the issues for RMA’s. It’s the people the call a computer a monitor that you have to baby and verify if a problem exists.

Haha true. I have sympathy as being former technical support (other companies), but get me on the other end after a 2 hour wait on hold, and that sympathy usually evaporated long ago, but also really depends on the agent.

I find people that come prepared and have already done the heavy lifting makes it easier if all I have to do is document the issues for RMA’s. It’s the people the call a computer a monitor that you have to baby and verify if a problem exists.
I think what's worse is when one works for one of those companies where the equipment is sourced from multiple vendors, but everything is tied into one system. When a problem arises everyone is ready to point the finger at the others equipment, and then some representative from IBM comes to help. The IBM representative thinks he can fix everything and really boogers everything up.

Look at your system log. CPU cores might be getting disabled due to overheating - it will be reported in the log.

In yours and @RMerlin experience, does the router typically require to be put under alot of strain to achieve these levels of over heating? And what would be your best practices to avoid such dangers?
Personally I've never experienced it, but then I don't have an RT-AC86U. From what I've read it was a manufacturing problem (inadequately attached heatsink) that only effected some of the RT-AC86U's. For properly manufactured routers there should never be a situation where it overheats, regardless of how the router is being used.

Personally I've never experienced it, but then I don't have an RT-AC86U. From what I've read it was a manufacturing problem (inadequately attached heatsink) that only effected some of the RT-AC86U's. For properly manufactured routers there should never be a situation where it overheats, regardless of how the router is being used.
That is what I figured as well, otherwise we would have other reports with different router models, but similar scenarios. This is one of those buyer beware territories when it comes to that model router.

In yours and @RMerlin experience, does the router typically require to be put under alot of strain to achieve these levels of over heating? And what would be your best practices to avoid such dangers?
Usage has very little impact on temperature. It comes down to the environment, airflow, and how good the bond is between the SoC and the heatsink. There's a lot of variance there with many Asus models, thermal pads not always being optimally installed.

Usage has very little impact on temperature. It comes down to the environment, airflow, and how good the bond is between the SoC and the heatsink. There's a lot of variance there with many Asus models, thermal pads not always being optimally installed.
So would you say the RTAC86U has the most variance with these concerns over other models?

There was a guy who posted pictures of AC86U with no thermal pads at all, shipped like this from the factory. It was in one of the many AC86U threads. One of the issues I found inside AC86U was low quality thermal pads leaking and drying out over time. The thermal conductivity worsens and the CPU overheats doing nothing. If you see close to 90C on idle in a normal temperature room, this router needs new pads or the original ones were not installed properly. AC86U was the first Asus HND platform router.

There was a guy who posted pictures of AC86U with no thermal pads at all, shipped like this from the factory. It was in one of the many AC86U threads. One of the issues I found inside AC86U was low quality thermal pads leaking and drying out over time. The thermal conductivity worsens and the CPU overheats doing nothing. If you see close to 90C on idle in a normal temperature room, this router needs new pads or the original ones were not installed properly. AC86U was the first Asus HND platform router.
It is horrible to think that incidents like this could happen considering when you or I buy a router they are designed for "home" use. Technically, aside from a few minor tweaks in the settings here and there and the occasional firmware updates, we should just be able to plug them in and go. It just goes to show when shelling out all of those dollars that there is a buyer beware market on some of these models.

Keep in mind, I only use the phrase buyer beware because even if you do RMA the router, there is still a chance to get a refurbish "or new" that has the same flaws in workmanship. So the buyer is still subjected to the same defects as before. And no I don't consider the little RMA "checksheet" they send with the replacement an actual valid means of saying the product or issue is not going to be present in the new/replacement equipment.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!