What's new

OpenVPN Client IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bagetak

Occasional Visitor
I setup OpenVPN Client on my router and I receive VPN's IPv4 address but I still have my public IPv6 address assigend from my ISP. When I use the OpevnVPN Connect app on Windows then I got only the IPv4 address from VPN and IPv6 is disabled. Is there some workaround than disabling IPv6 completly on my router?

I setup OpenVPN Client on my router and I receive VPN's IPv4 address but I still have my public IPv6 address assigend from my ISP. When I use the OpevnVPN Connect app on Windows then I got only the IPv4 address from VPN and IPv6 is disabled. Is there some workaround than disabling IPv6 completly on my router?
AFAIK, assuming that you are using RMerlin firmware, currently, when using the OpenVPN Client that's being provided by your router - IF - the IPv6 service is already running on a device that's on your LAN, the router OpenVPN Client, does not disable your ISP IPv6 data, which is exactly what you've seen anyway and described in post above. So although you have a perfectly valid IPv4 VPN connection, you also have a IPv6 / DNS / Geo-Location "leak" at the same time.

However, if instead, you use a OpenVPN Client that's on that ^ same device, NOT the router's OpenVPN Client, the your ISP IPv6 data can easily be disabled as part of your VPN Connection.

Assuming that you want to retain your ISP's IPv6 service & data (which I do) then the only current workaround I found that works as desired, was to disable the IPv6 on the device itself, which then, as it's running IPv4 only, will work as desired, with the router's OpenVPN Client.

I've covered this myself, in a different thread, but this last post specifically, the content at the end of it (after the edit marker...) gives you an up to date 'view'. Hopefully, the router's OpenVPN Client itself, will be updated in the future, so that it operates as per the 3rd party device Clients.

Last edited:
Thanks, It seems to be thats normal behaviour.

I forgot to mention that my OpenVPN Server also support IPv6 connection so I should also get new IPv6 address. When using OpenVPN Connect app I am completely hidden with the server's IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. On router I'll get only IPv4 and IPv6 is still from my ISP.

I forgot to mention that my OpenVPN Server also support IPv6 connection so I should also get new IPv6 address. When using OpenVPN Connect app I am completely hidden with the server's IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. On router I'll get only IPv4 and IPv6 is still from my ISP.
Ahhhh, Okay, my previous post still makes sense, fortunately. As you may already have read by now, It's the OpenVPN Server NOT the OpenVPN Client, that's having the IPv6 "fix" applied, initially, anyway, as per the extract from a post made by RMerlin, that's within my previous post link. That should solve that problem for you, once the firmware release containing it, is made.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!