What's new

OpenVPN Client Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ApexRon

Very Senior Member
I configured OpenVPN successfully with the Director setup such that only my MacBook is using the connection. Normally my download speed is a consistent 234 Mbps but with the VPN connection it drops to 135 Mbps. When I stop the router client and enable the VPN’s app on the MacBook my speed is 217 Mbps. I am using CAKE.

I have sent the client configuration to Express VPN to check settings.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

You can't compare the performance capabilities of the router to a full-blown desktop/laptop. There's NO WAY your typical consumer-grade router is going to have the kind of horsepower a VPN requires to provide comparable results. Use of the VPN on the router is almost always a compromise, where you give up some performance for the convenience it offers.

In my own case, I gave up that convenience a couple years ago and moved my OpenVPN client to a small form factor PC, and now get all the throughput my ISP and VPN providers can deliver.

You can't compare the performance capabilities of the router to a full-blown desktop/laptop. There's NO WAY your typical consumer-grade router is going to have the kind of horsepower a VPN requires to provide comparable results. Use of the VPN on the router is almost always a compromise, where you give up some performance for the convenience it offers.

In my own case, I gave up that convenience a couple years ago and moved my OpenVPN client to a small form factor PC, and now get all the throughput my ISP and VPN providers can deliver.
If I saw high CPU or high memory usage I would agree. For me right now the question is what segment of a OpenVPN solution is causing the additional delay? The ASUS client, the connection, or Express VPN’s implementation.

Okay, here is what I have discovered thus far:
  • RT-AC86U CPUs spike when running a speed test from MacBook: CPU1=55% CPU2=93% So far normal usage is not noticeably impacted. Conclusion: router is under powered
  • Custom configuration settings are different depending if you download the configuration file from ExpressVPN or follow the configuration settings on their website. Several settings have been deprecated on this release of OpenVPN and I have modified custom configuration to account for. I have asked ExpressVPN for clarification and am awaiting a reply

Can you please share what settings has been deprecated?

Thanks in advance

Can you please share what settings has been deprecated?

Thanks in advance
As per the ASUS system log:
"ns-cert-type server" is now "remote-cert-tls server"
"keysize" has been deprecated

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!