What's new

OpenVPN Client - Redirect internet traffic stops other device from working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhups

Occasional Visitor
I have upgraded my firmware to 380.64 from 380.62 in the late hours of 1st Jan 2017.
Everything seemed to be working well after the update.

Come the next morning, the wife started complaining about the WiFi on her phone and not being able to access the Internet.
I was like "Whhaaaatt??!! What you talking about WOMEN!, What did you do this time!"
As the internet was working just fine on multiple devices over WiFi, I thought it was just the phone. So a few restarts of the phone and then a factory reset on it (Thank god for Titanium Backup!), the Internet was still not working!
Then I thought, "shirt!, it might be the upgrade of the firmware"
Sooooo..... I checked and re-checked all the settings, but it all looked just fine. Turned on parental controls and off again to see if it was some setting being over-ridden, but still nothing.
Then came a factory reset of the Router.

It started to work! (She was very happy at this point.)

So, I put in all the settings again back on the router, and then BAM! the screaming starts again.

I don't know what pointed me to try to turn off the OpenVPN client connection, but when doing that, the Internet started working again for her. A bit more fiddling, I found that the just turning off Redirect Internet Traffic seems to also fix it.

Unfortunately I need this part turned on as some devices on my network NEED to go through the OpenVPN connection.

As this is only affecting one device, and not others (that I yet know of), I cannot figure out why it is happening. The IP does not match the device affected and so I have no clue.

Any idea or guidance will be great!
Thanks!

I have upgraded my firmware to 380.64 from 380.62 in the late hours of 1st Jan 2017.
Everything seemed to be working well after the update.

Come the next morning, the wife started complaining about the WiFi on her phone and not being able to access the Internet.
I was like "Whhaaaatt??!! What you talking about WOMEN!, What did you do this time!"
As the internet was working just fine on multiple devices over WiFi, I thought it was just the phone. So a few restarts of the phone and then a factory reset on it (Thank god for Titanium Backup!), the Internet was still not working!
Then I thought, "shirt!, it might be the upgrade of the firmware"
Sooooo..... I checked and re-checked all the settings, but it all looked just fine. Turned on parental controls and off again to see if it was some setting being over-ridden, but still nothing.
Then came a factory reset of the Router.

It started to work! (She was very happy at this point.)

So, I put in all the settings again back on the router, and then BAM! the screaming starts again.

I don't know what pointed me to try to turn off the OpenVPN client connection, but when doing that, the Internet started working again for her. A bit more fiddling, I found that the just turning off Redirect Internet Traffic seems to also fix it.

Unfortunately I need this part turned on as some devices on my network NEED to go through the OpenVPN connection.

As this is only affecting one device, and not others (that I yet know of), I cannot figure out why it is happening. The IP does not match the device affected and so I have no clue.

Any idea or guidance will be great!
Thanks!

That gave me a good laugh as I am in the dog house right now. What router do you have?

I suggest comparing settings with Yorgi's guide over in the VPN forum to see if anything rings a bell:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...ia-and-other-vpn-providers-10-15-fixed.30851/

I have two routers running OpenVPN. Router 1 - Redirect Internet Traffic set to ALL. Router 2 - Redirect Internet Traffic set to Policy Rules. I assign static ip to clients, then list which devices us WAN and which ones use VPN.

Any messages in the log? Can you expand on this comment please:

The IP does not match the device affected and so I have no clue.

That gave me a good laugh as I am in the dog house right now. What router do you have?

I suggest comparing settings with Yorgi's guide over in the VPN forum to see if anything rings a bell:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...ia-and-other-vpn-providers-10-15-fixed.30851/

I have two routers running OpenVPN. Router 1 - Redirect Internet Traffic set to ALL. Router 2 - Redirect Internet Traffic set to Policy Rules. I assign static ip to clients, then list which devices us WAN and which ones use VPN.

Any messages in the log? Can you expand on this comment please:

Thanks for the advice.

I have the RT-AC66U router.

Unfortunately I cannot connect to it at present as am at work so cannot re-check the logs.

With regards to the part "The IP does not match the device affected and so I have no clue.", I meant that the IP address of the phone does not match the IP's entered into the redirect fields.

The strange part is that it used to work just fine with all settings in place, until the update of the firmware.

Okay
You may have to use policy routing to choose which ip-number goes through VPN vs WAN
VPN => OpenVPN Client Settings => Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel

Okay
You may have to use policy routing to choose which ip-number goes through VPN vs WAN
VPN => OpenVPN Client Settings => Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel

I did do that.
E.g.
source 192.168.15.100 - destination 0.0.0.0 - VPN
source 192.168.15.120 - destination 0.0.0.0 - VPN

I did do that.
E.g.
source 192.168.15.100 - destination 0.0.0.0 - VPN
source 192.168.15.120 - destination 0.0.0.0 - VPN
This two ip-number goes through VPN

This two ip-number goes through VPN
Yep, they are the ones I want to go via the VPN.

This works fine too.

Just for some reason, this feature is stopping my wife's phone from working on the internet.
I have no clue how there is a relation between the two.

Hmm is your wifes phone a iphone?

Try to test with this settings on 2,4Ghz:
Code:
Preamble Type = short
Enable TX Bursting = Disabled
Reducing USB 3.0 Interference = Enabled
Airtime Fairness = Disabled
Explicit Beamforming = Disabled
Universal Beamforming = Disabled
Optimize ACK Suppression = Disabled

Looking at the log files, I see this come up very frequently:

2017-01-02 09:14:27 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx android-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2017-01-02 09:14:27 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
02/01/2017 10:27:01 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx android-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
02/01/2017 10:27:01 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
02/01/2017 10:21:05 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx android-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
02/01/2017 10:21:05 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
02/01/2017 10:21:05 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.11.253 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
02/01/2017 10:21:05 Information router.asus.com daemon dnsmasq-dhcp DHCPDISCOVER(br0) xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

This is for the device affected.

Ok, now things are getting a lot worse.

Last night I rolled the firmware back to 380.62 and did a factory restore (in addition to the 30-30-30 reset rule).
Put the settings back to how they did work before and all looked good, but this morning I checked and the problem still remains with the wife's phone not working on the WiFi.
In addition to this issue, I can no longer access the ASUS control panel, which is VERY strange as it worked just fine when I was setting it up last night.

I might need to roll out of the Merlin firmware and onto the original ASUS firmware, and then try going back to Merlin.

... Last night I rolled the firmware back to 380.62 and did a factory restore (in addition to the 30-30-30 reset rule).
Put

Ex-DDWRT user? The 30-30-30 reset rule has no relevance whatsoever to AsusWRT-Merlin.

Asus-merlin user.
I just tried the 30-30-30 method as someone suggested it on some post read somewhere on what usually works to factory reset most routers in general.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Can you post a screen shot of wifi settings? Strike out the SID and password. Is the firmware up to date on the android?

It's working, but not as it should be, like it did before.

So... I have now tried to do different things hoping that my router will behave like it did before the firmware update.
Download different firmwares to try remove any hidden thing that may have triggered it, but nothing has hit it.
Put on the ASUS official firmware but did not like the interface and so I tried Tomato and just hated that interface, so I came back to ASUS-Merlin firmware.

The router now works the following way...
After the complete wipe and multiple firmware updates, I reconfigured the firmware, JUST as it was before the problems happened. Still problems remain.
Problem which still remains are:
- Using the settings from https://www.ipvanish.com/visualguides/OpenVPN/Tomato/ and turning on the OpenVPN client causes the WiFi to stop working on the Wife's phone.
- Only way to get the WiFi working back on the Wife's phone is now by putting in the IP's manually, BUT not using my routers IP for the DNS, instead I have to use public DNS service, something like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2.

So it seems that the phones DNS setting clashes with the OpenVPN client connection.
No idea how the connection is made as the log files seem to only show regular DHCP drop outs for the mobile phone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!