What's new

OpenVPN Configuration Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jvamos

Occasional Visitor
I am able to connect via PPTP but cannot connect to Samba shares on the remote network. DNS is working but none of the SuSE SMB machines can be connected to in OS X 10.8.5.
I would rather get OpenVPN working for security. I just can't get my head around what I need to do to move the certs to the proper places using those generated from the gui. I am concerned about running easy RSA and moving things around as I am concerned about SSL being out of date.
I'm afraid the number of certs and common name usage is all kind of getting me confused.

Thanks for any insights.

UPDATE:

I can connect now via openvpn and the config file, it is an elegant answer to my confusion with certs. I am unable to see my samba shares though through this connection as well. How can I see the local network on a mac?

TAP

I can see the machines through DNS but can't connect to them. That edit to smb.cnf in /etc/ had no effect.
I would like to put together a blog post on how to do this once all is said and done.

I tried using TAP as well but had the same difficulty, this is a new flash of merlin most recent version.

I think I am going to have to post my config. I have an .ovpn file? is that too sensitive to post?

Last edited:
Can you connect to any of the shares using its IP address? i.e. \\192.168.1.40\sharename

If you can then it is just a name resolution and browsing issue, so...

Go to "USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk"

Set "Force as Master Browser" = Yes
Set "Set as WINS server" = Yes
Apply

Configure your mac with the IP address of your router as its WINS server.

That's it.

I can see the machines through DNS but can't connect to them. That edit to smb.cnf in /etc/ had no effect.
I would like to put together a blog post on how to do this once all is said and done.

I tried using TAP as well but had the same difficulty, this is a new flash of merlin most recent version.

I think I am going to have to post my config. I have an .ovpn file? is that too sensitive to post?

I found this helpful for my boss' Mac when he VPN's in to our office (we are not using OpenVPN) so he can reach the server share. http://www.ehow.com/how_8212879_put-server-shortcut-desktop-mac.html

Hey all

I tried TAP as well as TUN set the WINS server as the router under LAN and SMB. The SMB share is from a network machine not the router itself. I can get NetBIOS names across the VPN but no connection to the machines. Without Merlin I recall this being a lot easier though.

I can't ping them at their IPs or connect via CMD+K using their names.

It looks like an IP table issue?

Last edited:
side note

Network subnets are the same on both sides. I'm going to change my home network topology first since it is much smaller and this is still just testing but I don't really feel convinced that it will solve my issue. But I will try.

THANKS ALL for the advice

It seems it was actually subnet conflicts. I changed my home net over to a different subnet and suddenly computers were reachable by IP. I did not check DNS. The issue was that when I was trying to reach an IP that matched the local subnet I think my local DHCP server would try to route it to my local network address not over the VPN. Setting defined subnets for each network was the solution.

I move that we talk about not using default network topology with AsusWRT-Merlin and VPN somewhere in one of the FAQs or main threads. It is mentioned here and there but I think more emphasis should be on not using the default subnet of 192.168.1.*