What's new

OpenVPN Issues after changing ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I have just switched ISP and now cant remote connect into my OpenVPN server on ASUS RT-AX88U. I have been using the ASUS DDNS service previously without issue.

I am getting this message on the openVPN tab "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x). Please refer to the FAQ and set up the port forwarding."
On the WAN-DDNS tab I get "DDNS Service Inactive" and "DDNS Registration Result - Processing"

I am also seeing the following on the top fof the WAN-DDNS tab:
The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment. While using an External check might allow DDNS to reflect the correct IP address, this might still interfere with remote access services.

How can I resolve this one?

Many thanks.

How can I resolve this one?
What kind of internet connection do you have? What device is your router's WAN interface connected to? Cable modem, ONT, gateway router, etc?

What is the first octet of the router's WAN IP address as shown in the GUI? Is it 100.x.y.z, 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z, etc?

EDIT: I presume your previous thread has now been resolved as you appear to have internet connectivity.

Last edited:
You may need to put their equipment into bridge mode. I have a provider that did something similar and I had to go into their router to setup a DMZ for my AC86u to sit behind it. All I wanted their equipment to do was pass mine internet.

Thank you. I'm not an expert at this. Do I need to speak to the ISP or is this something I can do myself?

Thank you. I'm not an expert at this. Do I need to speak to the ISP or is this something I can do myself?
If you answer the questions I asked we will be able to tell you whether it's something you can do yourself.

What kind of internet connection do you have? What device is your router's WAN interface connected to? Cable modem, ONT, gateway router, etc?

What is the first octet of the router's WAN IP address as shown in the GUI? Is it 100.x.y.z, 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z, etc?

EDIT: I presume your previous thread has now been resolved as you appear to have internet connectivity.
Hi Colin. Sorry. Been working late.

My internet connection is fibre 1gbps up and down symmetrical. My router is connected to an ONT. My Wan IP starts with 100.

Last edited:
100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255 is CGNAT address space. Private addresses behind carrier router. You can't reach your VPN server on IPv4 without port forwarding upstream at your ISP. If this is not possible your option is IPv6 VPN server. If this is not possible for some reason you have no solution.

100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255 is CGNAT address space. Private addresses behind carrier router. You can't reach your VPN server on IPv4 without port forwarding upstream at your ISP. If this is not possible your option is IPv6 VPN server. If this is not possible for some reason you have no solution.
Thank you. So for ipv4 I have to get the isp to port forward. If not ipv6 VPN? Is the latter something that can be hosted on the Asus router?

IPv6 VPN server is available in Asuswrt as well as IPv6 DDNS service. How well they work together though - I don't know. Depending on your Internet use you may have other limitations with this provider. Everything P2P relying on UPnP in games for instance won't work. Enabling IPv6 may fix that as well. It is probably cheaper and faster speeds provider, but comes with a catch you probably didn't know about.

IPv6 VPN server is available in Asuswrt as well as IPv6 DDNS service. How well they work together though - I don't know. Depending on your Internet use you may have other limitations with this provider. Everything P2P relying on UPnP in games for instance won't work. Enabling IPv6 may fix that as well. It is probably cheaper and faster speeds provider, but comes with a catch you probably didn't know about.
Thank you. I'll call my ISP tomorrow to see if they are able to do anything with IPv4.

Extra charge of £5 per month mentioned here recently:

1703036597000.png

1703036558315.png

Quick update: Spoke to my ISP. They initially said it was a chargeable service, but in the end said they would port the service upstream for free so i'll be able to use my DDNS service again. Apparently should be done by the end of the week. Let's see, but looking good so far.

Ok. Just been fixed on the ISP side. They normally charge £5 per month but I'm getting it for free. My argument was that it wasn't advertised and I wouldn't have switched if I'd know. I have to say the customer service team were great.

Sometimes negotiations have positive outcome. I have 2x residential lines and told my ISP I'm leaving if I don't get better price. The deal for new customers is 50% of what I pay as loyal customer. My new deal for 2024 is also 50% off. I'll call them again in December 2024.