What's new

DDNS - How to Publish Internal vs. External WAN IP Address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RoRoYoYo

New Around Here
Router: RT-AX86U Pro | Firmware: 3004.388.4

I'm using a mobile broadband router (Netgear) with Verizon as my service provider. They are doing some type of NAT because Asus Network Map shows one non-private IP address (e.g. 123.123.123.123) while external check such as ipmonkey.com shows another non-private (e.g. 234.234.234.234). When I utilize DDNS client, it registers the external IP address. In my situation, everything would be peachy if it would simply register what it says in the Network Map WAN IP. Seems there used to be a DDNS setting called "Method to retrieve WAN IP", but might have been removed in newer versions of the firmware.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can retrieve this parameter and pass it to DDNS for publishing? Thanks in advance.

P.S. What I'm trying to do is connect via OpenVPN from the outside. It works just great when I give the WAN IP address shown in Network Map. It does not work when I give it the WAN IP address reported by an external source such as ipmonkey.com.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 234843.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 234843.png
    252 KB · Views: 57
Are you referring to the "WAN IP" address in your picture that's 100.103.x.y ? If so that is not a public IP address. It is a CGNAT address and therefore not reachable from the internet.

If this is the address you say you can connect to using OpenVPN then I don't know how that is possible unless you're connecting from inside your local network rather than from the internet.

Are you referring to the "WAN IP" address in your picture that's 100.103.x.y ? If so that is not a public IP address. It is a CGNAT address and therefore not reachable from the internet.

If this is the address you say you can connect to using OpenVPN then I don't know how that is possible unless you're connecting from inside your local network rather than from the internet.
Dang, just carefully retested, and you are right! In some of my testing, I was correctly coming in on the VPN from my laptop while connected to my mobile hotspot. When I was able to successfully connect to the CGNAT IP, it was when I had inadvertently forgotten to unplug my ethernet cable from laptop which had me on the router LAN. Well, never mind then, and case closed! Thanks for your prompt response!