What's new

OpenVPN Server RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nycelitemaster

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I have RT-AC68U and i finished setting up OpenVPN Server. I am able to connect to my VPN Server. The issue is when I am on an external network and I connect to VPN on my phone or any other device, I am able to access the router. However, I am not able to access anything else on the 192.168.1.x network. For example, I can't access any CUPS Server, or 3D Printer running on OctoPrint as they are on 192.168.1.x network and VPN assigns my device with 10.8.x.x IP. I have read multiple posts where it says enable push to Lan option. This option is no longer there. I also enabled the radio button for Static Route Option in LAN> Routes. But nothing working. Below is my configuration. I'd like to continue to use TUN and not looking to switch to TAP. Please assist.

Interface Type: TUN
Protocol: UDP
Server Port: 443
Authorization Mode: TLS
Username/Password Authentication: Yes
Username / Password Auth. Only: No
TLS control channel security: Disable
HMAC Authentication: Default
VPN Subnet / Netmask: 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
Advertise DNS to clients: No
Cipher Negotiation: Enable (with fallback)

The exported client ovpn file will require OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.
Negotiable ciphers: AES-128
Legacy/fallback cipher: AES-128-CBC
Compression: Disable
Log verbosity: 3
Manage Client-Specific Options: No

I assume you're using the stock ASUS firmware. If the OpenVPN server GUI has a custom config field, you can always push the local network to the OpenVPN client yourself.

Code:
push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"

Hi All,

I have RT-AC68U and i finished setting up OpenVPN Server. I am able to connect to my VPN Server. The issue is when I am on an external network and I connect to VPN on my phone or any other device, I am able to access the router. However, I am not able to access anything else on the 192.168.1.x network. For example, I can't access any CUPS Server, or 3D Printer running on OctoPrint as they are on 192.168.1.x network and VPN assigns my device with 10.8.x.x IP. I have read multiple posts where it says enable push to Lan option. This option is no longer there. I also enabled the radio button for Static Route Option in LAN> Routes. But nothing working. Below is my configuration. I'd like to continue to use TUN and not looking to switch to TAP. Please assist.

Interface Type: TUN
Protocol: UDP
Server Port: 443
Authorization Mode: TLS
Username/Password Authentication: Yes
Username / Password Auth. Only: No
TLS control channel security: Disable
HMAC Authentication: Default
VPN Subnet / Netmask: 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0
Advertise DNS to clients: No
Cipher Negotiation: Enable (with fallback)

The exported client ovpn file will require OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer.
Negotiable ciphers: AES-128
Legacy/fallback cipher: AES-128-CBC
Compression: Disable
Log verbosity: 3
Manage Client-Specific Options: No
Use a different port than 443. You do have a lot to choose from

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am using Merlin's firmware. 384.19. I found 386 to be a bit heavy on resources.

443 1194 are default, so I switched to 443 since its widely enabled everywhere.

If you recommend something, happy to hear suggestions.

@eibgrad - thank you. that worked like Charm! God Bless you! Saved me so much. I was going to go buy Raspberry Pi to create OpenVPN server. I guess I do not need to spend that money anymore.

I only suggested doing so manually in custom config under the assumption this was stock firmware.

If you're using Merlin, on the OpenVPN Server config page, under VPN Details->General, make sure "Client will use VPN to access" is set to "LAN only" or "Both". Either one will automatically push the local network (192.168.1.0/24) to the OpenVPN client.

I only suggested doing so manually in custom config under the assumption this was stock firmware.

If you're using Merlin, on the OpenVPN Server config page, under VPN Details->General, make sure "Client will use VPN to access" is set to "LAN only" or "Both". Either one will automatically push the local network (192.168.1.0/24) to the OpenVPN client.
It was set to both. it never worked until your config.

Once you told me to enter that and it worked like champ

@eibgrad and all
I just realized that when I I have VPN on, I can't access internet. It only allows local traffic.

I have Marlin 384.xx and it is set to VPN Access - Both.

I wasn't able to access all clients on local area until you asked me to manually add the route in the custom config. Is there something I can type in the config to allow internet for the clients?

See attached pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-203331.png
    Screenshot_20210619-203331.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20210619-203434.png
    Screenshot_20210619-203434.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!