What's new

openvpn tutorial on asus rt-ac88u using merlin f/w 384.9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Marin thanks for the info but as I said earlier all my lan devices apart from the phones have static ip's so much easier when doing any trouble shooting as you know.
The instructions you gave me don't seem to coincide with my router gui. There is no 'rules for routing clients' section at the bottom of the page - see attached pic. I know that the vpn cab be bypassed using merlin's f/w but don't know where and didn't want to cock anything up as it 's taken a while to get the whole thing going especially incorperating the Aimesh.

Attachments

• screenshot 3-192.168.1.1-2019.03.03-11-44-33.png
    screenshot 3-192.168.1.1-2019.03.03-11-44-33.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 411
Thank you Marin for all your help and Colin the change 'redirect internet traffic to 'policy rules' as it now works great. Was a bit worried as I lost my Aimesh setup but found that when rebooting the main router and just leaving the aimesh node in wireless only it re-connected then I just reconnected the ethernet cable to the node, so thanks a mill to you all you were all so helpful really appreciate it guys.

Wonder if you can advise as I've just gone back on the nordvpn web page and it's showing me as 'unprotected'. I suppose this must be due to the vpn bypass of my fetch tv box what do you think is there any way round this. Would a vpn of a different country maybe rectify it what do you think.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="eltell69, post: 469812, member: Wonder if you can advise as I've just gone back on the nordvpn web page and it's showing me as 'unprotected'. I suppose this must be due to the vpn bypass of my fetch tv box what do you think is there any way round this. Would a vpn of a different country maybe rectify it what do you think.[/QUOTE]

If you are accessing NordVPN site from your fetch TV (sorry I don’t know what this product this is) then the its website will show you as “unprotected” because you are bypassing VPN for that device for the streaming reasons you stated above.

Try accessing NordVPN from a device that you know is going through VPN (PC, laptop, etc). MAke sure to clear your browsers cache, restart browser, and try the NordVPN website again. You could also check dnsleaktest.com to see if your DNS is leaking (you should see the VPN IP there and not the one issued to you by your IP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="eltell69, post: 469812, member: Wonder if you can advise as I've just gone back on the nordvpn web page and it's showing me as 'unprotected'. I suppose this must be due to the vpn bypass of my fetch tv box what do you think is there any way round this. Would a vpn of a different country maybe rectify it what do you think.

If you are accessing NordVPN site from your fetch TV (sorry I don’t know what this product this is) then the its website will show you as “unprotected” because you are bypassing VPN for that device for the streaming reasons you stated above.

Try accessing NordVPN from a device that you know is going through VPN (PC, laptop, etc). MAke sure to clear your browsers cache, restart browser, and try the NordVPN website again. You could also check dnsleaktest.com to see if your DNS is leaking (you should see the VPN IP there and not the one issued to you by your IP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hi Marin No not accessing internet from the fetch tv box as it's a pvr just for recording fta tv and can access streaming sites ( with payment of course via different packages )
When I access nordvpn site it's from my pc which is behind the vpn as it's only the fetchtv box that bypasses the vpn. All my devices have static ip addresses.
I have mailed nordvpn with the query and am waiting for a reply so was wondering what your take might be on this.

Hi Guys don't know if this is the correct section now but I've decided to change from Aimesh because with Merlins f/w and the work around it can be a pig to get it back working when I'm messing with the router and vpn etc then rebooting etc.
I want to keep the same ssid's for the wifi and the other asus rt-ac86u router so would I be better using it as an access point or repeater what do you advise.
I'm still keeping the vpn with the fetch tv vpn bypass btw.

Hi Guys don't know if this is the correct section now but I've decided to change from Aimesh because with Merlins f/w and the work around it can be a pig to get it back working when I'm messing with the router and vpn etc then rebooting etc.
I want to keep the same ssid's for the wifi and the other asus rt-ac86u router so would I be better using it as an access point or repeater what do you advise.
I'm still keeping the vpn with the fetch tv vpn bypass btw.
Repeaters are always the least preferred option.

I faced with the strange behavior of OpenVPNClient (at least it is strange for me):
In answer from VPN server it doesn't received an information about interface:
Code:
ovpn-client1[6338]: PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1,dhcp-option DNS 172.94.11.3,dhcp-option DNS 172.94.11.5,sndbuf 393216,rcvbuf 39321
6,comp-lzo no,route-gateway 172.94.11.129,topology subnet,ping 10,ping-restart 120'
I.e. it's missing the sentence similar to "ifconfig 45.74.60.xxx 255.255.255.192'"
And, as I can understand - the interface device didn't created, so - no appropriate tunlX device after connection procedure is finished ...
So. from the web-interface it's showed as on, but it's unusable due absence of tunl device. And it's look strange in web-interface too:openvpnissue.PNG

So, the question is - by which option or rule I can instruct the openvpn do not show OK status in case of the device is not created?

I'm understand - it's an issue of the exact server to which I tried to connect (see responce above). But, if for the openvpnclient the connection status is ON and OK without the device creation - there is something wrong with client too!