What's new

Opinions to expand my coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think you'll get lower performance for yours N and AC clients.
As far as I remember, the AX56U was always the cheapest Wi-Fi 6 model with Merlin support - I bought it for less than $100 equivalent (regular price, I see the AX58U at a price of around $110 equivalent). However, prices in your country may be different.
The lowest I see on SlickDeals (in the past 6 months) for new units is $120 for the 56U and $150 for the 58U -- both in USD.

From Asus:
56U
WiFi 4 (802.11n) : up to 433 Mbps
WiFi 5 (802.11ac) : up to 867 Mbps

58U
WiFi 4 (802.11n) : up to 300 Mbps
WiFi 5 (802.11ac) (1024QAM) : up to 1733 Mbps
Doesn't the above value cut in half if the client doesn't support 1024QAM?

68U
WiFi 4 (802.11n) : up to 450 Mbps
WiFi 5 (802.11ac) : up to 1625 Mbps

Last edited:
@Tech9
I would still need a router for those EAP225v3 APs, right? Since I need a new one anyway -- because my current one is likely to not see many new firmware updates -- I might as well try the 68U/86S as my new router along with my old one as an AiMesh node. If that doesn't work out, I might look into those TP Link units (even though my last experience with there wireless many years ago was not good).

I don't think you'll get lower performance for yours N and AC clients.
As far as I remember, the AX56U was always the cheapest Wi-Fi 6 model with Merlin support - I bought it for less than $100 equivalent (regular price, I see the AX58U at a price of around $110 equivalent). However, prices in your country may be different.

Higher MIMO Radio's generally penetrates walls better.. Every 2x2 unit I've tried including AX58U is worse in my environment vs 3x3 or even 4x4 units.. At least as a single point unit.

Wired backhaul will obviously yield better results as broadcast locations are more spread out. 2x2 is fine in this situation and is the reason most Wireless backhauls use a 4x4 radio to communicate between points with 2x2 client connectivity.

IE: 4x4 Node to Node + 2x2 + 2x2 for your 5G/2.4G connection. Wired backhaul works the same way, just avoids the need of node to node radio.

The lowest I see on SlickDeals (in the past 6 months) for new units is $120 for the 56U and $150 for the 58U -- both in USD.

From Asus:
56U
WiFi 4 (802.11n) : up to 433 Mbps
WiFi 5 (802.11ac) : up to 867 Mbps

58U
WiFi 4 (802.11n) : up to 300 Mbps
WiFi 5 (802.11ac) (1024QAM) : up to 1733 Mbps
Doesn't the above value cut in half if the client doesn't support 1024QAM?

68U
WiFi 4 (802.11n) : up to 450 Mbps
WiFi 5 (802.11ac) : up to 1625 Mbps

MAX QAM spec is irrelevant, especially at distance... You'll likely hover in 500-700 range at 25-30FT+ through walls with a 4x4 AX router. You have to test this yourself.

Most AC client's will only support a max transfer of 866.7.. Regardless of being capable of higher QAM... AX clients included. AC Nitro/Turbo QAM only works on niche clients like ASUS PCE 88 as an example.

The best single point compromise is likely a QCA based 8x8 AX89X, granted, I haven't had a chance to test it.. I'd prefer to pay under $300 for such an old design.. Netgear's version has gone as low as $225, but their firmware/SW is horrible in general

I'll say it again, your best option if you care about distance, updates and modern enhancements is to buy 2x 68U or 86U/S (id argue for AC86U/GT-AC2900 if significantly cheaper) and set connection sensitivity per client.

Obviously need to test which offers better performance/value. We cant help you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cisco 240AC wireless Aps are 4x4 units that are back hauled by wire.

Remember you have to live with the mess you make. If you like working on it all the time so, be it.

I'll say it again, your best option if you care about distance, updates and modern enhancements is to buy 2x 68U or 86U/S (id argue for AC86U/GT-AC2900 if significantly cheaper) and set connection sensitivity per client.
I guess I struggle to see what the 86U gets me. I don't need the 2.5Gbps port and from what I understand the extra beefy CPU and memory only helps if I'm doing vpn or qos stuff (neither of which are on my radar). So that is why I went with the 86S. Then I learned of the 68U and since it was so close to the 86S (for notably less) I thought it was worth trying out as well.

Short term I will probably try to use the 86S or 68U standalone (just like I am doing with my RT-AC66U B1) but my longer term solution is to make my current router an AiMesh node with the new router as my main.

I guess I struggle to see what the 86U gets me. I don't need the 2.5Gbps port and from what I understand the extra beefy CPU and memory only helps if I'm doing vpn or qos stuff (neither of which are on my radar). So that is why I went with the 86S. Then I learned of the 68U and since it was so close to the 86S (for notably less) I thought it was worth trying out as well.

Short term I will probably try to use the 86S or 68U standalone (just like I am doing with my RT-AC66U B1) but my longer term solution is to make my current router an AiMesh node with the new router as my main.

Be sure to disable 160mhz bonding on the 86S when comparing the two. The 68U only supports 80mhz, but that could suffice as an advantage and keep it closer to the 86S. You need apples to apples 80mhz testing on the same unii blocks. :).

5G 160mhz is kind of useless as it requires DFS.. Most future 5G AX client's will NOT support over 80mhz bonding for that reason.. Especially IoT.

The 2.5G port only matters if you're hitting gig ISP speeds (940-950mbps limit on 1GbE port) and or want to file transfer.

Today I was able to snag a new 86S for $153 (USD) -- so now with the smaller price difference I might not bother trying the 68U to compare them.

Today I was able to snag a new 86S for $153 (USD) -- so now with the smaller price difference I might not bother trying the 68U to compare them.

Yeah I'd Keep the 86S. Has the better/more established 4x4 main 5G radio.

I picked one up too for a wired backhaul between GT-AC2900, but I don't think I'm going to bother running two routers.. performs better than GT-AX6000 in my environment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!