What's new

Options for dead Asus 86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hokiez97

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

A neighbor was giving away an 86U that they said had died and Asus was supposed to issue an RMA for, but never did. I picked it up to see if it might be something I could fix or possibly work with Asus to get that RMA going.

It is in fact quite dead. When I power it on, the only LED that lights is for LAN port 4, and that one is very dim. I've tried a hard reset, and have also tried a different power supply (from my own 86U) and those haven't helped.

I checked warranty status and it shows that it ended Jan 2020.

Anything I could do to try to revive this? My hope was to use it in conjunction with my own to set up an AiMesh.

Hi all,

A neighbor was giving away an 86U that they said had died and Asus was supposed to issue an RMA for, but never did. I picked it up to see if it might be something I could fix or possibly work with Asus to get that RMA going.

It is in fact quite dead. When I power it on, the only LED that lights is for LAN port 4, and that one is very dim. I've tried a hard reset, and have also tried a different power supply (from my own 86U) and those haven't helped.

I checked warranty status and it shows that it ended Jan 2020.

Anything I could do to try to revive this? My hope was to use it in conjunction with my own to set up an AiMesh.

I don't think so. I think it died like mine died: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/one-of-my-rt-ac86us-died-and-shipped-to-asus.62318/

OE

You can try and pursue the RMA but unless ASUS agrees to pay for shipping it probably isn't worth going this route as it will cost $15 - $20 dollars for UPS shipping in the USA and if the repairs won't be covered by the warranty ASUS probably won't do anything so you will be out the shipping cost.

A common complaint from some owners about this router is it doesn't have the longevity of the N66 or AC68.

Time to move on.

I paid return shipping and received a new replacement router.

OE

I paid return shipping and received a new replacement router.

OE
Was your router still in warranty? I had a defective AC86 and I paid return shipping for my original AC86 which was in warranty, but when ASUS sent me three bad/defective replacements 2018 AC86s they paid shipping both ways. I finally got them to send me a unit manufactured in 2019 which resolved my problems.

Was your router still in warranty? I had a defective AC86 and I paid return shipping for my original AC86 which was in warranty, but when ASUS sent me three bad/defective replacements 2018 AC86s they paid shipping both ways. I finally got them to send me a unit manufactured in 2019 which resolved my problems.

Yes, they issued an RMA for warranty repair or replace. They replaced it.

OE

Often it is the power supply that fails. You couldn't another. If it isn't the power supply, then at least keep that as a spare :)

Yep, sounds like exactly the same problem! I'd have no issue paying for the return shipping if I could get this one repaired or replaced at Asus' expense. Given that it's out of warranty that seems very unlikely. My long-shot hope was that since the previous owner claims that Asus was going to issue a return label for it, but never did (which seems weird), maybe they would allow it now but still seems unlikely.

My main 86U crapped out today. It's been a little flakey lately (web pages slow to load, wifi drop outs), had done a full reset last week but it didn't help. Today just wouldn't connect to the cable modem, think the WAN port died. It's 3 yrs old (2017 model), have another 3 yr old one as an access point. But I had bought another 86U last year as a spare. Though it is a 2018 model so I make see about getting another one more recently made or maybe a different model (AX-3100).

Now the two AC68P's I had before the 86U's are still going strong at my youngest daughter's place, almost 6 yrs old now.

Sam

Think my case is a lost cause. Asus confirmed it's out of warranty and if I want to send it to them, I pay shipping + $35 diagnostic fee + repair cost. I have no idea what that would cost so don't think I'll take them up on it. I asked the previous owner if they had any case # or anything that Asus might reference but no go.

Picked up an AX58U (aka AX3000). Put latest asus firmware on it and it's working fine.

sam

I had an older Asus router die on me (RT-N16). I popped the case off and found a bad capacitor, de-soldered it off and replaced with the same from eBay. If you don't have soldering equipment, a kit can be found on Amazon for $15 and a capacitor should only be a couple of bucks. You can tell which one is bad by the top end being bowed out.

Btw this is with zero experience with soldering. I played around and practiced for a bit, watched a few youtube vids and got to work. Its pretty easy.

My main 86U crapped out today. It's been a little flakey lately (web pages slow to load, wifi drop outs), had done a full reset last week but it didn't help. Today just wouldn't connect to the cable modem, think the WAN port died. It's 3 yrs old (2017 model), have another 3 yr old one as an access point. But I had bought another 86U last year as a spare. Though it is a 2018 model so I make see about getting another one more recently made or maybe a different model (AX-3100).

Now the two AC68P's I had before the 86U's are still going strong at my youngest daughter's place, almost 6 yrs old now.

Sam
Since you have 3, try the suspected unit with a known good power supply from one of the others. The wall warts for these fail more often than the router itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!