What's new

Voxel [ORBI RBK50 (RBR50,RBS50)] Suggestions on configuration for maximum range (on Voxel)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dakial

New Around Here
Hello all,
I'm looking for suggestions on configurations to maximize range on my RBK50. I have the usual setup (1 RBR50 and 2 wired RBS50) with the voxel firware (V9.2.5.2.25SF-HW).
I'm guessing that the only levers I have to push (apart from moving the satellites around which I tried already) are in advanced wireless settings.

The current config is:

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)

[ON] Enable SSID Broadcast
[OFF] Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
[OFF] Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
[2347] CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)
[Automatic] Preamble Mode
[100%] Transmit Power Control

Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)
[ON] Enable SSID Broadcast
[ON] Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
[Automatic] CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)
[Short] Preamble Mode
[100%} Transmit Power Control

Backhaul Topology
[OFF] Enable Daisy-Chain Topology
[OFF[ Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING
[ON] Enable MU-MIMO
[ON] Enable Fast Roaming

Any suggestions here (or elsewhere in config)?

Cheers!
Daniel

There is nothing in advanced settings that will increase the range. Range depends on transmit power and physics. If you already have found the optimal spots for your Orbi's, there are no magical switches to further increase range and the options your posted have little effect on range.

btw, I suggest enabling WMM for the 2.4 GHz band, it increases throughput.

For maximum range, you want the routers/nodes as far apart as possible (and wired, of course). Grossly overlapping signals aren't what you want, for best performance.

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Backhaul Topology
[OFF] Enable Daisy-Chain Topology
It's not always right. If you have more than one satellite, very often using the Daisy Chain option can on the contrary increase the speed of your Internet connection. It all depends on your home environment. For example, I just have to use this option to improve speed.

Otherwise, for the second satellite and the devices connected to it, I will have a serious slowdown if I don't use Daisy Chain. It is too far from my RBR.

Voxel.

The key part of the Original Poster (OP) statement was "2 Wired RBS50". On this product, 1000Mbps/Full (gigabit) Ethernet backhaul is faster then WiFi backhaul, even when the WiFi backhaul is running "full speed". (There is so much overhead in WiFi. Radio time is shared by three access points. And once access points are more than 25-30 ft. apart, that theoretical 1,733Mbps link rate will have dropped under 800Mbps.) This also allows the units to be farther apart than a WiFi backhaul connection could tolerate.

It's not always right. If you have more than one satellite, very often using the Daisy Chain option can on the contrary increase the speed of your Internet connection. It all depends on your home environment. For example, I just have to use this option to improve speed.

Otherwise, for the second satellite and the devices connected to it, I will have a serious slowdown if I don't use Daisy Chain. It is too far from my RBR.

Voxel.
Even if the satellites are wired to the RBR50? I understood that Daisy Chain would work to connect 2 RBS50 wirelessly if they are closer to each other than to RBR50.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!