What's new

Orbi RBR50 wifi keeps restarting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Omair

Occasional Visitor
My RBR50 has been stable for the past 2 years. 2 months back it started acting up. I have updated the firmware. LAN connectivity is stable and I am able to access orbi login. RBR50 lights are stable. Only problem is all devices connected through wifi keep dropping connections every 30 seconds or so. It looks like the wifi module or whatever is acting up and restarting. To isolate the problem, I have disconnected the router from modem and satellites. Still having wifi issues. Very much inclined to throw it away after trying all possible solutions on these forums and snbforums but can't afford a new setup. Therefore, need to fix my router wifi issue.

I have changed the power adopter but that didn't solved the problem.

I have tried factory reset. The wifi remains stable until I set it up. During the setup, Once it starts to check if cables are connected, the wifi starts dropping again. During the setup stage, I cannot access the admin interface from a desktop connected with LAN. When I try access orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 on a desktop connected with LAN, it shows "invalid request".

I have attached my router settings for clarity.

2022-12-17-Orbi-Adv-Wireless-Settings.JPG

2022-12-17-Orbi-Advanced-Home.JPG

2022-12-17-Orbi-Wireless-Setup.JPG

2022-12-17-Orbi-Basic-Home-Wifi-Off.JPG

The wifi remains stable until I set it up.

I don't know what changes you make during your setup, but WMM disabled doesn't look like default setting to me and it's needed for everything above 802.11g connections. Otherwise your Wi-Fi will be limited to 54Mbps. Beamforming and MU-MIMO disabled also doesn't look like default setting.

I don't know what changes you make during your setup, but WMM disabled doesn't look like default setting to me and it's needed for everything above 802.11g connections. Otherwise your Wi-Fi will be limited to 54Mbps. Beamforming and MU-MIMO disabled also doesn't look like default setting.
Thank you. Do you suggest I turn on all three WMM, Beamforming and MU-MIMO?

Run the setup at default settings and make changes only if needed. I would only lock the Wi-Fi channels so they don't jump around on Auto.

Run the setup at default settings and make changes only if needed. I would only lock the Wi-Fi channels so they don't jump around on Auto.
Can you please elaborate on what you mean by run the setup on default settings and locking the wifi channels?

I have basic networking knowledge. This issue seems far more beyond my knowledge, thus, seeking on help here after not getting any response on Netgear community forums after 2 days.

When you reset the system to factory defaults don't make any changes to settings you know little about. You're not getting responses most likely because this system works pretty well and it perhaps breaks after your settings changes. I don't have one to guide you through settings, use the User Manual.

When you reset the system to factory defaults don't make any changes to settings you know little about. You're not getting responses most likely because this system works pretty well and it perhaps breaks after your settings changes. I don't have one to guide you through settings, use the User Manual.
Thank you. I have just reset it to factory settings and will keep all original settings intact. Will update you shortly.

I have pressed the reset button for 30 seconds and then gave the router good 5 mins to boot up. Trying to access the admin interface on a desktop connected by Ethernet but getting an error "invalid request" when accessing orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1.

Any ideas what's going on? I can access the orbi app but after initial setup, the wifi keeps disconnecting making it impossible to complete the setup.. Don't want to risk leaving the setup incomplete.

No satellites connected, no devices connected except one desktop by Ethernet. No internet connected.

Will really appreciate any help I can get.

Orbi showing a stable white light even after factory reset. Should I factory reset it again?

Just follow the reset and setup instructions in User Manual. As I said I don't have this router to provide step-by-step guide. I did have one in the past and it was working very well as a home "mesh" system with very strong signal from both router and satellite. If you believe the firmware update was bad - follow the community for possible solutions. You're not the only one using this Orbi set, I guess. If nothing helps and you believe the hardware is failing - you obviously need to replace the set with something else. There is no magic universal advice fixing unknown issues.

Just follow the reset and setup instructions in User Manual. As I said I don't have this router to provide step-by-step guide. I did have one in the past and it was working very well as a home "mesh" system with very strong signal from both router and satellite. If you believe the firmware update was bad - follow the community for possible solutions. You're not the only one using this Orbi set, I guess. If nothing helps and you believe the hardware is failing - you obviously need to replace the set with something else. There is no magic universal advice fixing unknown issues.
Thank you my friend. I know you are trying to help to the best of your abilities. I followed the user manual and factory reset the router. I am stuck on a solid white light and not able to access the admin interface using a laptop connected by Ethernet.

All I am trying to figure out what's wrong with the router. If the hardware is failing, is there a way to get a confirmation from some kind of logs? I am not super networking person but have a bit of programming and telnet experience. I am persistent and don't mind going through a learning curve to know for sure that my orbi has reached its end of life. I just want to be double sure that my orbi is fried before I invest another $500 in a new system.

Check connection properties on your computer. If the Orbi's DHCP server is up you should see 192.168.1.1 as your gateway and DNS server and 192.168.1.x IP address for your network adapter. If you see something different, reset the router again and repeat the procedure. I remember the ring was changing color when you reset the router and you don't need to hold the button for 30 seconds. More like 10 seconds max. Make sure you have the modem connected to the router as well as per setup instructions here:

I would recommend powering down the satellites, and then go to tftp recovery mode...

This will clean up the NAND partitions, and reflash the firmware from the bootloader...

Once you get the main unit stable, reset the satellites and rebuild the mesh.

Orbi's are usually pretty stable overall..

I would try the standard procedures first though because I also know Orbis are pretty stable. And this specific one was a very popular model.

Check connection properties on your computer. If the Orbi's DHCP server is up you should see 192.168.1.1 as your gateway and DNS server and 192.168.1.x IP address for your network adapter. If you see something different, reset the router again and repeat the procedure. I remember the ring was changing color when you reset the router and you don't need to hold the button for 30 seconds. More like 10 seconds max. Make sure you have the modem connected to the router as well as per setup instructions here:

Thank you. After multiple factory resets, I was able to login and setup the orbi. I kept the modem connected to the router like you said while setting up. Every was perfectly setup. The outer led on router has turned off.

However, I am still facing the same wifi issue. Wifi keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds or so. The router remains stable, just the wifi is available for 30 seconds, then disappears and then appears again after 10-15 seconds (I am assuming it is restarting during this time).

LAN connectivity doesn't gets affected.

Any more ideas? Is there a way I can see the logs? The logs on admin interface don't show anything about wifi disconnecting.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would recommend powering down the satellites, and then go to tftp recovery mode...

This will clean up the NAND partitions, and reflash the firmware from the bootloader...

Once you get the main unit stable, reset the satellites and rebuild the mesh.

Orbi's are usually pretty stable overall..
Thank you for taking out time to reply. Really appreciate it.

I have the satellites powered down to isolate the problem. Infact, I had also not connected the modem so as to avoid any conflicts with the modem. The main issue remains that wifi keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds or so. With or without modem connected.

It seems that this is likely the next step I should take.

Which firmware version do you recommend I upload using tftp recovery mode?

However, I am still facing the same wifi issue. Wifi keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds or so.

LAN connectivity doesn't gets affected.

Did you try the tftp recovery I recommended?

The WiFi chips read cal info from one of the nand partitions... so if the filesystem is having issues...

Wi-Fi cutting off every 30 seconds means your entire wireless network is down... for 2 months?

Unfortunately, yes. You can only imagine the stress.

Luckily, I had a friend who had an old Linksys Archer C7 lying around which I borrowed until I am able to fix my orbi.

Did you try the tftp recovery I recommended?

The WiFi chips read cal info from one of the nand partitions... so if the filesystem is having issues...
Thank you. Really really appreciate it. I am getting hopeful tonight I will be able to bring my orbi back to life.

I am currently trying the tftp method.

The link you posted above, on point 9, it says "Wait for the power LED to light orange and then start flashing.".

When I power off the router for 10 secs and then turn it on, the power LED immediately is green. If I start flashing immediately after turning it on again, I get an error saying "Connect request failed."

The only way to get it to light orange is when I am using a pin to factory reset it. Should I factory reset it and then try to tftp the firmware?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!