What's new

Orbi RBR50 wifi keeps restarting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If this happened right after firmware update, what about downgrading the firmware to previous version or replacing it altogether with Voxel's firmware for RBK50? RBK50 is the kit you have with RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite. Have you tried doing this?

If this happened right after firmware update, what about downgrading the firmware to previous version or replacing it altogether with Voxel's firmware for RBK50? RBK50 is the kit you have with RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite. Have you tried doing this?

I tried downgrading to 2.7.3.22 and 2.6.1.40. But the wifi dropping persisted. Which is why I am loosing hope.

I couldn't find any setup guide or user manual for voxel firmware installation. I read that we could not access the admin interface on voxel firmware. If there is no interface, how will I manage the wifi network?

This is what I will do next if tftp method above shared by fellow member doesn't works.

I read that we could not access the admin interface on voxel firmware.

Sure you can:

I couldn't find any setup guide or user manual for voxel firmware installation. I read that we could not access the admin interface on voxel firmware. If there is no interface, how will I manage the wifi network?

Get the main unit stable first before moving to Voxel - will keep debug easier...

I would recommend powering down the satellites, and then go to tftp recovery mode...

This will clean up the NAND partitions, and reflash the firmware from the bootloader...

Once you get the main unit stable, reset the satellites and rebuild the mesh.

Orbi's are usually pretty stable overall..
Thank you. Really really appreciate it. I am getting hopeful tonight I will be able to bring my orbi back to life.

I am currently trying the tftp method.

The link you posted above, on point 9, it says "Wait for the power LED to light orange and then start flashing.".

When I power off the router for 10 secs and then turn it on, the power LED immediately is green. If I start flashing immediately after turning it on again, I get an error saying "Connect request failed."

The only way to get it to light orange is when I am using a pin to factory reset it. Should I factory reset it and then try to tftp the firmware?
I used the method I found on Reddit before I put the firmware after entering bootloader. So I opened cmd in one window after setting up
Get the main unit stable first before moving to Voxel - will keep debug easier...
So I tried using the tftp method.

The only way I was able to enter the bootloader mode was by turning off the router, pressing the reset button with a pin and then turning on the browser. Before resetting, I opened 2 command windows. One for uploading the firmware as per knowledge base article and another command window to ping the router IP using "ping -t 192.168.1.1". Once the router started responding to ping, I pressed enter to upload the firmware. Then I waited for it to boot up and did a fresh setup. However, the wifi issue persisted.

Then I turned off the router for 10 minutes. Then proceeded to turn it on again and did a factory reset. Did a complete setup again and I was able to get a stable wifi for good 5 minutes. Then the wifi disconnections started again.

It's 5.27 am here now and I need some shut eye before starting the week. I will try to take some time out again tonight to factory reset it again and do a fresh setup. If it doesn't works after factory reset, I will try and install voxel firmware.

I will post again with new updates.

However, the wifi issue persisted.

Before you give up try one more time with the firmware before last update. If it doesn't work again, but you remember it working stable for 2 years - perhaps something got bad in hardware. You have high temperatures in the summer in Pakistan - perhaps contributing factor to hardware failure.

Before you give up try one more time with the firmware before last update. If it doesn't work again, but you remember it working stable for 2 years - perhaps something got bad in hardware. You have high temperatures in the summer in Pakistan - perhaps contributing factor to hardware failure.
Thank you. Really appreciate it. I am not giving up until I have evidence that it's a hardware failure. That's for sure.

This is exactly my thought but I am sure there has to be someway for sure to find out if the hardware is fried. But at the same time, wifi connectivity sometimes is stable immediately after factory reset and starts disconnecting once I am done setting up the router.

I took an early day from work to downgrade it to 2.7.3.22 and 2.7.2.104 from 2.7.4.24. if it doesn't works, I will downgrade it to 2.5.2.4 which is what as I understood Voxel firmware is built upon.

Is there an installation guide to installing Voxel firmware?

Last edited:
Power failures are also frequent here. There's a possibility that during the firmware update process, the power went off and may have caused firmware to get corrupted. I am not sure how NAND partitions work or what it means to flash the firmware from bootloader but I tried the tftp method last night with the method I posted earlier.

If 2.7.3.22 and 2.7.2.104 downgrade doesn't fix the wifi issue, I am thinking of using the tftp method to upload 2.5.2.4 and try it. If that doesn't works, I will then prepare to use Voxel firmware.

So I have tried 2.6.1.40 as well. Doing factory reset after every firmware downgrade. Wifi issue persists. Wifi keeps disconnecting every 30 seconds.

Going to try downgrading it to 2.5.2.4 later tonight. And then voxel firmware.

I would say look for replacement at this point. :(
The same issue on known working in the past firmware is most likely hardware failure related. Try with different power supply just in case. You have mentioned power issues in your area - you may get lucky with power supply only failing. Use the satellite power supply to test the router, for example.

I would say look for replacement at this point. :(
The same issue on known working in the past firmware is most likely hardware failure related. Try with different power supply just in case. You have mentioned power issues in your area - you may get lucky with power supply only failing. Use the satellite power supply to test the router, for example.
Honestly, I am not willing to part with another $400 so soon. I had bought this system for $500 almost 29 months back. I can pay for kids school and buy groceries for a whole month with this money. So it is a big investment. :) I know there is no universal solution or magic to this problem, but I want to feel contended that I tried my 100% trying to back this router back to life before buying a new one for another $400.

I really highly appreciate your assistance so far. I have not given up yet and have decided to try downgrading it further to 2.5.2.4. and then switch to voxel firmware.

I have tried swapping the power supply from the satellite as well as borrowed one from my friend. Facing the same issue with the new power supplies.

May I ask is there a way I can access the logs via telnet for the orbi on a windows system? Something tells me that there must be some logs on this router stating if there is a hardware failure. I might be wrong but I want to be sure.

Also, can I upload the Voxel firmware through admin area or do I need to tftp it to the router?

Someone else will help you with Voxel firmware. Last time I played with RBK50 was perhaps more than a year ago and it was running factory firmware.

I have downgraded the router to 2.5.2.4 and then uploaded the Voxel firmware using the admin interface.

God decided to be kind to me. I have a Stable wifi connection at least for the past 5 minutes. No wifi disconnections so far on 2 cellphones. I seriously hope & pray my happiness is not short lived. I documented everything on this thread in the hope that somebody else might find this to be helpful if they find themselves in a similar situation.

Thank you thank you thank you @Tech9 @sfx2000 !!!! This was only possible because of help, expert guidance and encouragement from both of you, else this would've been impossible. Specially @Tech9 .

Next step is to downgrade the satellite to 2.5.2.4 and then upload the Voxel firmware to it. Any idea how I should go about doing it without bricking anything again?

Last edited:
Most importantly, thank you @Voxel for providing us with an alternate to stock Netgear firmware to fix such painful issues.

UPDATE:
wifi disconnecting again.

I think I celebrated a bit too early. But I swear I had a solid connectivity for a good 12 minutes with no disconnection immediately after I installed voxel.

Then I proceeded to setup a guest wifi which caused the router to reboot (or it did for some reason) and wifi disconnection started happening again. I will try to factory reset voxel firmware somehow and then report back.

I find it a bit motivating though that I was able to connect for 12 minutes so hopefully this router can be salvaged. False hopes may be?

I uploaded 2.5.2.4 stock fw again and did a fresh setup after factory reset. Same wifi issue disconnecting after 30 secs.

Then I proceeded to upload voxel fw again. This time I had a good 5 minutes of stable connection before wifi started disappearing every 30 secs again.

I am starting to think that fixing this router is now beyond my knowledge and I should now accept the fact that this cannot be salvaged & start looking for alternates.

Can I utilize the satellite standalone without the router for any purpose?

Please, tell me you're not using any DFS channels on 5GHz. A military radar will cut off your Wi-Fi instantly. If the answer is NO, read below.

I start to believe this unit is just another victim or RoHS. I don't expect you to have test equipment, but try to place the router in the fridge for some time and then try it again cold. If it works longer then usual - I know what it is. In your country talented people repair all kind of things and I'm sure someone around with TV/phones repair shop may be able to fix it or at at least extend it's life. I had a few Asus routers with similar intermitted Wi-Fi issues and all came back to life only after invasive surgery (radio ICs reflow).

Some clues, if we are dealing with hardware issue:
- is the operation affected by change in temperature?
- is the router losing single or all bands?
- is the router keep going after band loss or is crashing?

Please, tell me you're not using any DFS channels on 5GHz. A military radar will cut off your Wi-Fi instantly. If the answer is NO, read below.
May I ask how do I check if I am using any DFS channels on 5GHz?
My replacement Tp-link router seems to be working fine on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I start to believe this unit is just another victim or RoHS. I don't expect you to have test equipment, but try to place the router in the fridge for some time and then try it again cold. If it works longer then usual - I know what it is. In your country talented people repair all kind of things and I'm sure someone around with TV/phones repair shop may be able to fix it or at at least extend it's life. I had a few Asus routers with similar intermitted Wi-Fi issues and all came back to life only after invasive surgery (radio ICs reflow).

Some clues, if we are dealing with hardware issue:
I am not sure. The temperature is currently 16c here. I haven't changed the positioning of the router since i first set it up 2 years back.

I am not sure how to check which bands I am losing. I only see one wifi network ORBI78 originating from my orbi router and NETGEAR-Guest network SSID. However, the guest wifi is turned off but SSID is broadcasting by default. Both the SSIDs disappear and remain unavailable when the wifi disconnects. I am not sure if this is what you meant?

The router remains stables and keeps going on. If I am connected via ethernet, I remain unaffected if the wifi turns off and then on. I can see the status on admin interface saying wifi is turned off and then it turns on again.

I start to believe this unit is just another victim or RoHS. I don't expect you to have test equipment, but try to place the router in the fridge for some time and then try it again cold. If it works longer then usual - I know what it is.
For How long should I place it in the fridge?

In your country talented people repair all kind of things and I'm sure someone around with TV/phones repair shop may be able to fix it or at at least extend it's life. I had a few Asus routers with similar intermitted Wi-Fi issues and all came back to life only after invasive surgery (radio ICs reflow).
I will try the fridge trick and then will tomorrow night open it up and will try to find the wifi chip and see what readings I am getting on the amp meter from the wifi chip when the wifi turns off and on. or if the soldering seems off or the wifi chip itself looks burnt. I will report back. If the chip doesn't needs replacement and its just the soldering, I feel some hope that it can be resoldered by someone talented who knows how to repair circuit-boards and chips.

Thank you for the idea.

The fridge must be around 6-8C. Cool it down for 1-2h and try again. Observe any changes in behavior. It may start working longer or it may not work at all. Don't be in a hurry opening it up. You can't measure anything with amp meter. Most chips are BGA type and all the soldering points are underneath.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!