What's new

OS questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steven

Occasional Visitor
That NAS / file server I have been thinking about so long is finally under way (I settled for a second hand pc as the basics). Now, I need to pick the OS I want to use.

First off, I do not want RAID. I will simply mirror an internal drive to another internal drive (and use backup with a 3rd usb drive). The OS will sit on a separate IDE HDD.

The box will not only serve as a fileserver, but probably will also be used to access the Internet, run some photo sorting and editing software (flickr uploadr, Picasa), a video player (vlc is my favourite), a music player and perhaps sorting applications, and dvd archiving/conversion/ripping software. So you see, it will not be a dedicated machine. but almost.

Windows XP comes pre-installed, but I would really like to try another OS while I'm at it (even if in dual boot).

So, two questions that are probably easy to answer for someone who runs them:

- Can the Ubuntu server OS also be used to run the software I described?

- Can the Ubuntu non-server versions do the (probably simple) server tasks of backing up connected systems, mirroring, making files available through ftp...

The alternative is to use XP, but I am a bit worried that it won't be safe to run once the updates disappear. Plus I will need stuff like antivirus, firewall, ...

Any thoughts and experiences?

Many thanks for your insights!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!