What's new

Could a router be used as a linux server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kaanaslan

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

Some people think that I'm trying to ask if a Linux can be used as a router but no, my question is would it be possible to ssh to the router, for example install ubuntu and install docker and add containers etc...

The answer will probably be no, but I still wanted to know :) Instead of connecting a raspberry Pi and set it as a linux server, would the routers internal cpu, drive and memory be used to operate our own custom linux server? Of course without loosing the router's own features acting as a router as always.

Thanks.

No

I prefer to optimize the device to the task at hand...

Most routers are going to be just that - they're embedded devices, and while somewhat capable, they're not going to have all that one would need to run Docket and add containers, etc - QNAP, Synology, and others over in NAS space have tried to do that, but it's been rather sub-optimal, as Docker and containers are better suited for a general purpose machine...

RPi5 (or similar) is likely a better place to explore these kind of activities - it's not just because of more CPU horsepower (but it does help) but also the base Linux is updated much more often...

Next step up would be the Intel NUC's (or similar)... one can do a lot there with a desktop/server version of debian/redhat derivatives - and one can do much there without compromising the capability designed in to your Router/AP...

There are two problems here.

1: the router almost certainly doesn't have enough spare disk space or spare CPU capacity to do anything very interesting. The manufacturers have every interest in not spending too much on those components.

2: if you mess up the system configuration, which is quite likely if you try to install new software on it, your router is dead and you're in for a lot of unpleasantness trying to get back to a working network.

Get yourself a separate box to run generic Linux on. RPIs are cheap enough, and I concur with @sfx2000 that Intel NUCs are a good choice if you need more horsepower (I've got a new one coming tomorrow, in fact).

Hello everyone,

Some people think that I'm trying to ask if a Linux can be used as a router but no, my question is would it be possible to ssh to the router, for example install ubuntu and install docker and add containers etc...

The answer will probably be no, but I still wanted to know :) Instead of connecting a raspberry Pi and set it as a linux server, would the routers internal cpu, drive and memory be used to operate our own custom linux server? Of course without loosing the router's own features acting as a router as always.

Thanks.

Virtual server :

Thanks to the 2GB RAM of Omnia you can use a built-in virtual server to run any Linux distribution (even Ubuntu or Debian) without risk to the main system.

Thanks to the 2GB RAM of Omnia you can use a built-in virtual server to run any Linux distribution (even Ubuntu or Debian) without risk to the main system.

Nothing against turris, as it's a great product - but it's still a SoC that is optimized for Routing - and as a Cortex-A9 ARMv7-A (Armada 385) dual-core, it will be a challenge to get certain things running on it.

I know the chipset well, as I did work on it for a number of years...