What's new

Overclocking on Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 (RT-AC68U and RT-N66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Check if the script services-start is really executed by adding something like:
touch /tmp/overcloking.run
after the overclocking commands and check if the file is created in /tmp/ after reboot.

On top check if the scripts are still executable with ls command and -la option:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 1083 Dec 4 20:06 services-start
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 671 May 28 2016 services-stop
and check if the scripts have the x-attribute set!
Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out. One question though, isn't the actual overclock values being set in the services-stop script?

Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out. One question though, isn't the actual overclock values being set in the services-stop script?
Yep, you are right!
The suggestion above is just check that the /jffs/scripts are executed.

If you want to check if the service-stop values are set correctly, you can add the command:
nvram get clkfreq > /tmp/overcloking.run
to the service-start script and you will get the value which was set in service-stop script (if it was executed).

Yep, you are right!
The suggestion above is just check that the /jffs/scripts are executed.

If you want to check if the service-stop values are set correctly, you can add the command:
nvram get clkfreq > /tmp/overcloking.run
to the service-start script and you will get the value which was set in service-stop script (if it was executed).

I tested per your suggestion and it executes if I sh services-stop but after reboot it goes away. I guess the same thing is happening to the overclock commands in the script.

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/scripts

echo "#!/bin/sh" > /jffs/scripts/services-stop
echo "nvram set clkfreq=1000,666" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
echo "nvram commit" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/services-stop

cat /jffs/scripts/services-stop

If you make any typo during the process, remove the file. Repeat the steps until the last step show you the right content.

Indeed it'll be good to learn basic Unix skill...

Thought I would chime in... I setup this script exactly as it was written in that post (exception being I went with a 1200 MHz OC), on two separate AC68's. Both running the exact same firmware and CFE version. The only difference is one is the TMobile version (that I flashed) and the other is a retail AC68R. I can confirm that MIPS is indicating that they are indeed OC'd, but the TMobile version actually shows 1200MHz under the Tools/CPU Frequency tab. Thought that was odd....

Just signed up to say thank you for the information posted here as it has enabled me to overclock my EA6900 crossflashed with Asuswrt-Merlin/Vortex to equivalent RT-AC68U.
Clocked at 1200,800 interestingly the temperatures on this router are much lower typically below 60C.
Doing the same with a DSL-AC68U (again flashed to RT-AC68U) and used as an AP temperature is much higher with 80C + depending on load.
The hardware is equivalent afaik so the cooling solution provided by Asus design must be pretty poor!

Last edited:
Check if the script services-start is really executed by adding something like:
touch /tmp/overcloking.run
after the overclocking commands and check if the file is created in /tmp/ after reboot.

On top check if the scripts are still executable with ls command and -la option:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 1083 Dec 4 20:06 services-start
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 671 May 28 2016 services-stop
and check if the scripts have the x-attribute set!

I've read through and see no mention of anybody testing on an ac-3100. Have
any reason to believe it would be an issue?

I've read through and see no mention of anybody testing on an ac-3100. Have
any reason to believe it would be an issue?
I know that newer routers/firmware versions prevent overclocking - it still works on my good old AC87U and N66U, but could be the case that the AC3100 does not work anymore.

By the way where did you get the right (and allowed) overclocking values from?
If the values (CPU, RAM) are not correct it also will not work... :rolleyes:

I know that newer routers/firmware versions prevent overclocking - it still works on my good old AC87U and N66U, but could be the case that the AC3100 does not work anymore.

By the way where did you get the right (and allowed) overclocking values from?
If the values (CPU, RAM) are not correct it also will not work... :rolleyes:

Oh i don't have any actual values yet(if ever). I've been researching for the week looking at overclocking the soc but hadn't really found any data for the ac3100. It seems that the time during boot is in question and what commands to use to actually get it to stick seem in debate, also seems Asus is doing odd script stuff after hours re-clocking(i'm sure you know all of this). So it's not really figured out 100% it seems. Just annoying to see the bleeding edge of capitalism. No overclocking allowed boys, you won't buy a new router. -_-

Oh i don't have any actual values yet(if ever). I've been researching for the week looking at overclocking the soc but hadn't really found any data for the ac3100.
The allowed values can only be found in the firmware source code - it's not in the specifications. :rolleyes:

The 3100 and 88U can NOT be overclocked it simply does not work. If you try it will actually lower the clock value.

The 3100 and 88U can NOT be overclocked it simply does not work. If you try it will actually lower the clock value.
I'm with the fact that you're likely correct, but where has the discussion happened? (or have you tried yourself since you have the 88u it looks like)

I'm with the fact that you're likely correct, but where has the discussion happened? (or have you tried yourself since you have the 88u it looks like)
It's been discussed in several threads, newer models will actually underclock if you try to override the clkfreq. My 87U is (thankfully) still able to OC

It's been discussed in several threads, newer models will actually underclock if you try to override the clkfreq. My 87U is (thankfully) still able to OC
Same here - I bought even a 2nd AC87U to replace my good old N66U Access-Point and hope that they will last very long! :rolleyes: