What's new

Overclocking on Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 (RT-AC68U and RT-N66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i have overclocked now my rt-ac68u with this tutorial by @kvic my question is what is the point if me, us, overclocked cpu to higher level?

i have overclocked now my rt-ac68u with this tutorial by @kvic my question is what is the point if me, us, overclocked cpu to higher level?

I'm running 1400Mhz on 87u and if could have 2400Mhz or 4100Mhz i would be very happy. For me the point was to get as close to 5-10% my ISP speed while on VPN. VPN due to encryption requires heavy CPU encryption and decryption on the fly and for that you need CPU Mhz clock speed. 87u which is slightly faster due to having separate CPU for 5Ghz band only gets to 50-60Mps while my ISP is 90Mbps so i still lack about 40%-45% more cpu power. I suspect 2400 Mhz would accomplish that but it also could be source code as utilization rate on 2 cores get peak up to 60% so there is something wrong here.

For example on pfsense with my 4.1 Ghz quad core CPU i can get 80Mbps on vpn while 87u, 68u will never touch this. I'm actually in process of getting my router setup on pfsense while running full version of openvpn client with nice logs and everything. I ran into a brick wall with setup and getting 2 NICs specific for server setup as my realtek nics don't work.

Anyway hope this helps. If you don't need i would leave it a stock unless you have a reason.

Last edited:
sometimes i connect over OPENVPN from outside my local network for watching IPTV....so, should be get 5-10% more internet speed with 1200Mhz?

sometimes i connect over OPENVPN from outside my local network for watching IPTV....so, should be get 5-10% more internet speed with 1200Mhz?

For everyday wifi use and streaming CPU doesn't matter, 400Mhz router will due just fine. For IPTV and anything internet related with exception of vpn Mbps is what matters not Mhz so you won't get higher. You would look at Mbps speed of what your ISP is providing but anything north of 20Mbps is plenty for streaming (IPTV). In fact 6Mbps will do just fine as well. Streaming is usually 300kbs - 1200kbs bandwith so 6Mbps is already overkill and i suspect you're running at least 20Mbps. But if you're on vpn then yes your CPU overclock should yield you more Mbps on VPN ISP but i suspect you're already at over 20Mbps anyway.

Last edited:
First of all the simple observation from the RT-N66U device:
After update of the firmware the overclocking need to be set once via nvram set clkfreq=662,331,165 and nvram commit - and it will survive the restart (hard and soft - see below).
Otherwise the default values of clkfreq=600,300,150 are used.

Now the more complex (and important) behavior on the RT-AC68U device after the update to the version 378.56_2:
I have set the desired overclocking in the init-start script via nvram set clkfreq=1200,666 and nvram commit to overcome the lock-down of the current Asus firmware.

After a hard reset (power toggle) the settings force the CPU to the overclocking performance:
Code:
chief@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor  : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor  : 0
BogoMIPS  : 2398.61
processor  : 1
BogoMIPS  : 2398.61
And the nvram show | grep clk shows: clkfreq=1200,666 - same as the web interface (reading the same value).

But after a soft reset (reboot button in web GUI for reboot command via telnet) the CPU performance is at default speed settings only:
Code:
chief@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor  : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor  : 0
BogoMIPS  : 1599.07
processor  : 1
BogoMIPS  : 1599.07
But still the nvram show | grep clk shows: clkfreq=1200,666 - which is not the true speed!

Conclusion: if you want your router to run faster, do not forget to set the init-start values and always do a power toggle in case you need to restart it!

Update:
Over night the NVRAM variable was reset to clkfreq=800,666 - looks like something is re-reading the CFE values and updating the NVRAM settings...:rolleyes:
But the good news is that BogoMIPS : 2398.61 shows that it's still overclocked.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:
It's kind funny ,I did the same thing as you with my ac3200
I set the clock at 1400,800
and checked the bogomips before and after
but it didn't change ,it said 1998.06
but with a clock of 1400,800
Could it be false reading?

It's kind funny ,I did the same thing as you with my ac3200
I set the clock at 1400,800
and checked the bogomips before and after
but it didn't change ,it said 1998.06
but with a clock of 1400,800
Could it be false reading?

Yeah the clkfreq will show you false reading even when your Mibs the true speed is showing you
2398.61. If you dropped to
1599.07 you're at default 68u cpu speed. Without the script which was posted ealier in this thread after reboot you will get back to default Mibs.
Script will get you permanently 2398.61=1400mhz speed even with reboots.

Yeah the clkfreq will show you false reading even when your Mibs the true speed is showing you
2398.61. If you dropped to
1599.07 you're at default 68u cpu speed. Without the script which was posted ealier in this thread after reboot you will get back to default Mibs.
Script will get you permanently 2398.61=1400mhz speed even with reboots.

I this is what I get for not reading the whole thread,sorry

haha no problem brother. I'm not one of those that will flame you for not reading a thread but you should find my the script on page 3 or 4 i think

I overclocked for greater VPN speeds. I had trouble getting any results on my N66U doing it through nvram so I just edited the clock speeds in my CFE after backing it up, prayed to the gods, flashed and rebooted. It's a very easy way and of course, very easy to brick it that way but I don't have to worry about screwing around with it again.

I use the router for the torrents (not heavy ones) and file server.
with stock clock and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi on. File copy was at ~35MBps transfer rate
With 1200/800 and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi off - it was 70MBps (which is fine for the 2.5" 5400rpm hdd).
If 2.4GHz Wi-Fi turned on, the transfer rate is somewhere in 60-70MBps range.
So for me, it is very practical gain.

Thanks joe but how do i intergrate this with this script. I don't want to randomly place anything as that is bad news usually.

mkdir -p /jffs/scripts

echo "#!/bin/sh" > /jffs/scripts/services-stop
echo "nvram set clkfreq=1400,800" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
echo "nvram commit" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/services-stop

cat /jffs/scripts/services-stop
Hi, what's the final code you ended up using?. Can you post it here please, thanks.

I've been meaning to overclock my AC68U ever since 378.56_2 came out, right now I'm on 380.58.

Hi, what's the final code you ended up using?. Can you post it here please, thanks.

I've been meaning to overclock my AC68U ever since 378.56_2 came out, right now I'm on 380.58.

1. Enable scripts on your router. Make sure it's enabled. Very important.
2. Enable SSH in your router.
3. Log onto router using putty or other ssh client.
4. Copy and past each line and click enter after each line. This will put script in the directory.
5. Type reboot and click enter.
6. Check your temps few times that day to make sure it's not higher then 90C. Ideal temp 68-74C.
If over 90C you have warped heat sink and either need to get fan or get heat sink replaced/repaired or have dust ball inside your router.....lol
7. On .58 firmware and higher use only 1, 3 and 5 vpn client for optimized vpn speed code as listed in merlin change log.
8. If one has 87u using 5Ghz only (disabling 2.4Ghz) will give you 10-15% extra speed increase as 87u will use seperate 5ghz cpu processor for wifi. One should use 5Ghz anyway as it's least utilized bandwidth vs 2.4Ghz.

In case your router rejects the overclock you will have to do Asus recover using rescue 2000 from asus website. Max i've seen on 68u/87u is 1400. My 87u soft bricked at 1600. I've seen 1600 on 88u as i think it has higher stock clock speed. Usually those CPUs take 40% overclock over stock speed.

VPN speed increase of 200Mhz is marginal ~5Mbps so beyond that it's not worth it. All current asus overclocked ARM routers will do max 60Mbps on VPN 128 AES, 45Mbps 256 AES.

Last edited:
1. Enable scripts on your router. Make sure it's enabled. Very important.
2. Enable SSH in your router.
3. Log onto router using putty or other ssh client.
4. Copy and past each line and click enter after each line. This will put script in the directory.
5. Type reboot and click enter.
6. Check your temps few times that day to make sure it's not higher then 90C. Ideal temp 68-74C.
If over 90C you have warped heat sink and either need to get fan or get heat sink replaced/repaired or have dust ball inside your router.....lol
7. On .58 firmware and higher use only 1, 3 and 5 vpn client for optimized vpn speed code as listed in merlin change log.
8. If one has 87u using 5Ghz only (disabling 2.4Ghz) will give you 10-15% extra speed increase as 87u will use seperate 5ghz cpu processor for wifi. One should use 5Ghz anyway as it's least utilized bandwidth vs 2.4Ghz.

In case your router rejects the overclock you will have to do Asus recover using rescue 2000 from asus website. Max i've seen on 68u/87u is 1400. My 87u soft bricked at 1600. I've seen 1600 on 88u as i think it has higher stock clock speed. Usually those CPUs take 40% overclock over stock speed.

VPN speed increase of 200Mhz is marginal ~5Mbps so beyond that it's not worth it. All current asus overclocked ARM routers will do max 60Mbps on VPN 128 AES, 45Mbps 256 AES.

Thank you for the detailed steps :). Do i need to add this code as well?

joegreat said:
"Here we go:
# set clkfreq on each restart (due to change in CFE/NVRAM handling by ASUS)
#nvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram set clkfreq=1400,800
nvram commit

Move the # to the line which need to be blocked..."

Thank you for the detailed steps :). Do i need to add this code as well?

joegreat said:
"Here we go:
# set clkfreq on each restart (due to change in CFE/NVRAM handling by ASUS)
#nvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram set clkfreq=1400,800
nvram commit

Move the # to the line which need to be blocked..."

No don't use this and you're welcome. This is only temporary and will not work in few days. Use the script as this line does the same thing echo "nvram set clkfreq=1400,800" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop

If you ever decide to go back to normal just format script directory using firmware and reset to default if you wish.

Also don't bother checking nvram clk speed as it will still how 1000Mhz. Use Mips code posted earlier cat ....something as that will show you Mips which is real speed. If you read entire thread i think it's all there as i was digging into it :)

No don't use this and you're welcome. This is only temporary and will not work in few days. Use the script as this line does the same thing echo "nvram set clkfreq=1400,800" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop

If you ever decide to go back to normal just format script directory using firmware and reset to default if you wish.

Also don't bother checking nvram clk speed as it will still how 1000Mhz. Use Mips code posted earlier cat ....something as that will show you Mips which is real speed. If you read entire thread i think it's all there as i was digging into it :)

I tried but it didn't work, am i suppose to check yes on
"Format JFFS partition at next boot"

I access router via https://192.168.1.1:8443 it shouldn't really matter right?

Final Edit: Figured it out, I have to check clock frequency via using this

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Last edited:
I tried but it didn't work, am i suppose to check yes on
"Format JFFS partition at next boot"

I access router via https://192.168.1.1:8443 it shouldn't really matter right?

Final Edit: Figured it out, I have to check clock frequency via using this

cat /proc/cpuinfo
/proc/cpuinfo does not contain frequency. You can have a rough estimation of the frequency simply by dividing BogoMIPS value by 2. For example BogoMIPS : 1998.84 means that CPU runs at 1000MHz (1GHz).
also, just to avoid any troubles (after all experiments), connect to your router via SSH and check the /jffs/scripts/services-stop content by typing cat /jffs/scripts/services-stop it is plain text file.
If you have created a mess, just follow any guide to setup
entware and install mc by running opkg install mc . Then you can use it for browsing the file system of your router much more conveniently. It has a built-in text editor to view and modify text files (scripts).
In addition, check your router temperature under load (Active VPN server with connection, downloading some torrents using the router's download manager or better install transmission on it).
The temperature should not be over 90C.
To check the temperature, type
cat /proc/dmu/temperature (or search for it in the router web interface).
P.S.
Before doing all this overclocking thing, be sure you really have a need to do so. Most users don't really need it ;)

Hello, where you finally able to overclock your rt-ac3200 ? I am not able to get the overclock to stick, even with the two scripts (init-start and services-stop) in place and after a reboot... if positive, what version of merlin are you using, what o/c speeds ?

Hello, where you finally able to overclock your rt-ac3200 ? I am not able to get the overclock to stick, even with the two scripts (init-start and services-stop) in place and after a reboot... if positive, what version of merlin are you using, what o/c speeds ?
I'm on a Rt-ac56u and previously the scripts were working. But recently I've checked the bogomips numbers and seems that nothing is sticking. Any ideas what changed? Is my jffs corrupted?

But recently I've checked the bogomips numbers and seems that nothing is sticking. Any ideas what changed? Is my jffs corrupted?
Check if the script services-start is really executed by adding something like:
touch /tmp/overcloking.run
after the overclocking commands and check if the file is created in /tmp/ after reboot.

On top check if the scripts are still executable with ls command and -la option:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 1083 Dec 4 20:06 services-start
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 671 May 28 2016 services-stop
and check if the scripts have the x-attribute set!

Last edited: