What's new

Overclocking RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks Merlin,

Could you please explain what does booting with WPS button do exactly and what is the correct procedure? I would to add that info to the very beginning of this thread (where I described recovery procedures)

Booting with the WPS button pressed means the router will wipe out nvram at boot time. This does not always work with the AC56 however, sometimes the CFE is unable to properly parse the current nvram content, so it won't be able to configure the Ethernet interface, or read for the button states.

When that happens, you have to connect a serial cable to the router's internal header, and turn the router on while you keep Ctrl-C pressed on your terminal. There is a VERY small window of opportunity then for the CFE to stop the boot process, and give you a CLI where you can manually erase the nvram.

thanks Merlin, but what exactly is the procedure?

- power off the router
- press and hold WPS button on a side of the router
- power the router up (while NOT releasing WPS button)
- (how long are should you hold the button?)

thanks Merlin, but what exactly is the procedure?

- power off the router
- press and hold WPS button on a side of the router
- power the router up (while NOT releasing WPS button)
- (how long are should you hold the button?)

5-7 seconds should be enough.

Sky1111,
Just unboxed my new AC56U and mounted two 80 MM fans to the back. My temp is stable at 46 C for cpu. I tried overclocking and I could move up the cpu up to 1200 no problem with no change in temp. If try to change to memory clock (even with stock cpu clock) it just reverts back to default clock settings. I have the latest stable release of merlin. Any Ideas?

Sky1111,
Just unboxed my new AC56U and mounted two 80 MM fans to the back. My temp is stable at 46 C for cpu. I tried overclocking and I could move up the cpu up to 1200 no problem with no change in temp. If try to change to memory clock (even with stock cpu clock) it just reverts back to default clock settings. I have the latest stable release of merlin. Any Ideas?

Not sure... maybe ASUS changed the type of memory they use? or locked it in the bootloader?

when you check the clocks, what memory speed do you get? (there is a command - getclocks or something like that)

Not sure... maybe ASUS changed the type of memory they use? or locked it in the bootloader?

when you check the clocks, what memory speed do you get? (there is a command - getclocks or something like that)

I'm trying to find the command as well to see what acceptable values there are, as I can't OC the memory on my new one either. Only the processor.

eviltone and sky1111,
command is
nvram get clkfreq
and confirmed that new version memory clock is locked 533. If you try to change memory clock and cpu clock, unit resets both to factory clocks. Anybody know if it is in the bootloader and how to move to an earlier bootloader?
Here is my temporary solution for cooling I had two 80mm fans left over from my HTPC build and set it up with a 12v 500ma power supply. The fans are attached with silicone adhesive on the back until I can confirm it is a reliable unit (no major wifi issues). If it test out ok under heavy loads I will demel the back for better airflow. If not reliable back to Amazon (silicone adhesive easily removed).

https://db.tt/BNUnLvwu

Last edited:
eviltone and sky1111,
command is and confirmed that new version memory clock is locked 533. If you try to change memory clock and cpu clock, unit resets both to factory clocks. Anybody know if it is in the bootloader and how to move to an earlier bootloader?
Here is my temporary solution for cooling I had two 80mm fans left over from my HTPC build and set it up with a 12v 500ma power supply. The fans are attached with silicone adhesive on the back until I can confirm it is a reliable unit (no major wifi issues). If it test out ok under heavy loads I will demel the back for better airflow. If not reliable back to Amazon (silicone adhesive easily removed).

https://db.tt/BNUnLvwu

that's seems quite excessive to me...mine has no fans on it and temps are only 2-3 higher when i overclock.....

Mine is currently set to 900/666. The ram value stock is now the 666....(was changed from 533 to 666 by Asus in one of their firmware releases.) I set the values via the telnet method.

Last edited:
I pretty much modify everything I own. I had heard that some of the potential 2.4GHz issues where possibly related to heat. I did not to take any chances as I am overclocking for max output on openvpn client. Just a side note I ran the latest dd-wrt to see if it could overclock the memory and it sets the memory at 666 MHz by default and has a pull down for cpu clocking. Trouble is if you go higher than 800 MHz it goes into a boot loop that requires a nvram clear with WPS button. So for latest ac56u units with merlin or stock firmware its higher cpu with 533 MHZ or dd-wrt 800/666. I am running 1400/533 right now with merlin and getting 50+ mps on openvpn client.

I pretty much modify everything I own. I had heard that some of the potential 2.4GHz issues where possibly related to heat. I did not to take any chances as I am overclocking for max output on openvpn client. Just a side note I ran the latest dd-wrt to see if it could overclock the memory and it sets the memory at 666 MHz by default and has a pull down for cpu clocking. Trouble is if you go higher than 800 MHz it goes into a boot loop that requires a nvram clear with WPS button. So for latest ac56u units with merlin or stock firmware its higher cpu with 533 MHZ or dd-wrt 800/666. I am running 1400/533 right now with merlin and getting 50+ mps on openvpn client.

Even at stock clocks(800/666)....my openVPN (router as server)performance maxes out my connection. i have 50/20 CenturyLink DSL..but for folks that have much better internet connection...every bit helps....though...i would recommend using a desktop computer as a VPN server...much better performance than router hardware.

Last edited:

Holy smokes - 1400!!! POWER :)

2 fans are overkill - unless you are running them off low voltage make them completely silent.
(Man I got do some work from home tonight - tempted to try 1400 - I know my specimen does not boot beyond 1200 - still tempted... LOL)

Holy smokes - 1400!!! POWER :)

2 fans are overkill - unless you are running them off low voltage make them completely silent.
(Man I got do some work from home tonight - tempted to try 1400 - I know my specimen does not boot beyond 1200 - still tempted... LOL)

I believe you are right about the 2 fan overkill but the holes in the back are tiny. If the router has no major 2.4 GHz issues in the next two weeks of testing I will dremel a fan sized opening in the back and mount one fan only. Sound is not an issue as the router is in the basement. I am also investigating the possibility that the latest dd-wrt firmware has found a way around the new bootloader memory limitation. I might be able to modify the memory and the cpu clock by changing the values directly in configuration file that changes the memory to 666 successfully. DD-wrt gui and Telnet does not the cpu clock on dd-wrt firmware(defaults to 800/666). So its 1400/533 in merlin or 800/666 in dd-wrt at the moment.

Last edited:
I believe you are right about the 2 fan overkill but the holes in the back are tiny. If the router has no major 2.4 GHz issues in the next two weeks of testing I will dremel a fan sized opening in the back and mount one fan only. Sound is not an issue as the router is in the basement. I am also investigating the possibility that the latest dd-wrt firmware has found a way around the new bootloader memory limitation. I might be able to modify the memory and the cpu clock by changing the values directly in configuration file that changes the memory to 666 successfully. DD-wrt gui and Telnet does not the cpu clock on dd-wrt firmware(defaults to 800/666). So its 1400/533 in merlin or 800/666 in dd-wrt at the moment.

UPDATE: Of course I got jealous of your 1400Mhz and tried to push mine to that... bricked the router - AGAIN... as if I did not know that with overclocking of anything, each ASIC/CPU has it's limit - and no matter what you do, you cannot go beyond it... The router did not react to reset or booting with WPS pressed so far :(

Luckily my old trusty N56U + the latest Padavan - is still working - and it is already configured for all my network configuration - so it just unplug one router, plug another. I think folks on this forum who love to tinker with their router - and esp overclockers - should have a back-up router preconfigured, so when inevitably "the main" router bricks or goes nuts, you can just plug the "back-up" one in - before you get an earful from your better half or the whole gang (family) - LOL:)

I'll never repeat this enough, but: don't mess up too much with the RT-AC56U unless you have a serial cable to be able to recover it. In many cases it is the only way to recover from incorrect nvram settings.

I'll never repeat this enough, but: don't mess up too much with the RT-AC56U unless you have a serial cable to be able to recover it. In many cases it is the only way to recover from incorrect nvram settings.

Words of wisdom - as always :)
Yes I have been warned... and yes, I fully understand that I bork my router, it is my and only my fault... that is why on the very first page I put so many warnings in bold... :)

However, given the fact that I witness the dead to arise (I am still talking about routers), I will try again tonight...

Sorry to here about your bricked (hopefully temporary) router. I here you about the importance of another preset router. I heard several complaints from the family about temporary loss of internet while I was testing out a script to allow IP exceptions to bypass the openvpn client connection on router. Lots of rebooting involved.

Sorry to here about your bricked (hopefully temporary) router. I here you about the importance of another preset router. I heard several complaints from the family about temporary loss of internet while I was testing out a script to allow IP exceptions to bypass the openvpn client connection on router. Lots of rebooting involved.

Back up router is certainly a life saver... my AC56U is now officially dead :(...

Back up router is certainly a life saver... my AC56U is now officially dead :(...

Order a 5$ serial adapter from eBay - that will let you fix it.

So today I got my router back from RMA, and it was a replacement which came with a very old firmware - .372_184-g593823e

Of course I flashed it with the latest .40 Merlin firmware, but now I cannot overclock the damn unit at all - I tried to set 1200,800 and it keeps coming back to stock 800... keeps hanging...

Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.9

Last edited: