What's new

Overclocking RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For some reason, i cant go to this page with the last merlin,

That page was removed years ago, as it was a serious security risk.

any up to date page for overclocking or its impossible now, i just want to learn how to do it.. in 2017 :p
You can connect to the router using a tool like PuTTY on Windows, or another SSH client of your liking.Make sure SSH is enabled on Administration -> System

any up to date page for overclocking or its impossible now, i just want to learn how to do it.. in 2017 :p

You can do it with a 2018 version, assuming Windows 7:
0. Enable telnet from the router's Administration (left side menu), System (tab), Service (section).
1. Install (enable) Telnet built in for Windows 7: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...les/910.windows-7-enabling-telnet-client.aspx
2. Windows Start Menu -> Run. Type in: cmd
3. After pressing the Enter key, you're in the command prompt, type in: telnet
4. Once in telnet application, type in: o 192.168.1.1 (NOTE: that is the letter oh prior to your router's default IP address, replace IP address as applicable)
5. Type in the login: admin
6. Type in the password for admin
7. Type in the following for 1 GHz CPU and 666 MHz for RAM:
nvram set clkfreq=1000,666
nvram commit
8. Go to router's Tools (left side menu), Sysinfo (tab), CPU. From there, you can verify the increased CPU clock (but not the RAM speed).

Note the following commands to use on step 7:
nvram get clkfreq - to get current clock frequencies of the CPU and RAM
nvram set clkfreq - to set clock frequencies of the CPU and RAM
nvram commit - to set it in the router's memory and execute

Hope this helps. Do note that you're supposed to utilize instead the sanctioned way of overclock by this method here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/can-you-overclock-cpu-on-asus-rt-n66u.37174/#post-304656

You can do it with a 2018 version, assuming Windows 7:
0. Enable telnet from the router's Administration (left side menu), System (tab), Service (section).
1. Install (enable) Telnet built in for Windows 7: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...les/910.windows-7-enabling-telnet-client.aspx
2. Windows Start Menu -> Run. Type in: cmd
3. After pressing the Enter key, you're in the command prompt, type in: telnet
4. Once in telnet application, type in: o 192.168.1.1 (NOTE: that is the letter oh prior to your router's default IP address, replace IP address as applicable)
5. Type in the login: admin
6. Type in the password for admin
7. Type in the following for 1 GHz CPU and 666 MHz for RAM:
nvram set clkfreq=1000,666
nvram commit
8. Go to router's Tools (left side menu), Sysinfo (tab), CPU. From there, you can verify the increased CPU clock (but not the RAM speed).

Note the following commands to use on step 7:
nvram get clkfreq - to get current clock frequencies of the CPU and RAM
nvram set clkfreq - to set clock frequencies of the CPU and RAM
nvram commit - to set it in the router's memory and execute

Hope this helps. Do note that you're supposed to utilize instead the sanctioned way of overclock by this method here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/can-you-overclock-cpu-on-asus-rt-n66u.37174/#post-304656

FYI, used this method along with tip from the original post using jffs script ...

My use case is that this is my travel router, I use it to VPN home and setup a full time tunnel so I can stream while on my travels. It works quite well. Going to 1200,800 worked fine. What I've noticed is that even when I load up the CPU running multiple 'openvpn speed' in multiple SSH sessions (pegging CPU for sure, have another terminal running top and it's full) ... the CPU temp does not really go up (or down) more than 1-2c when overclocked in a well ventilated area. It's always idled at around 67-70c, so when I overclocked I figured that thermal management may be an issue. Not really seems to be the case as now it's about 68-71c. I've yet to hit 72c ... Though this router is sitting in the middle of an air conditioned bedroom (22-24c).

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC56U 384.3-beta3 Sun Feb 11 17:34:29 UTC 2018
admin@RT-AC56U-0EB8:/tmp/home/root# cd /jffs/scripts
admin@RT-AC56U-0EB8:/jffs/scripts# ll
-rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root            74 Feb 18 19:05 init-start*
admin@RT-AC56U-0EB8:/jffs/scripts# cat init-start
#!/bin/sh
#overclock to 1200,800
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit
admin@RT-AC56U-0EB8:/jffs/scripts#

Don't be a dummy like I did and forget to turn on jffs scripts in the GUI. It's like the first step in RMerlin's rules and of course I missed it the first go around.

Also, big thanks to RMerlin, been running those builds for years. Love it.

What are the valid settings to underclock? I've read people talking about 1000mhz, and 1200mhz. I'm inferring that the proper/valid/documented steps are in 200mhz increments (or in my case decrements 600, 400 etc)

I have an old ASUS RT-AC68U that from the start overheated over 90c merely sitting there. (the outer case got extremely hot very quickly) I got a replacement from the seller who didn't bother with the return on the old one. So it's been sitting in my closet. I've thought about installing fans as some have done, and will eventually try that when I have the inclination.

Yea there is no real point to overclock an already functional router. It is not like the little bit of increase justifies the risk of melting a router. These routers are not like computers, where they are running something that would be worth in overclocking, I think people just do this because they are bored and have run out of things to do with their otherwise perfectly fine router.

What are the valid settings to underclock? I've read people talking about 1000mhz, and 1200mhz. I'm inferring that the proper/valid/documented steps are in 200mhz increments (or in my case decrements 600, 400 etc)

I have an old ASUS RT-AC68U that from the start overheated over 90c merely sitting there. (the outer case got extremely hot very quickly) I got a replacement from the seller who didn't bother with the return on the old one. So it's been sitting in my closet. I've thought about installing fans as some have done, and will eventually try that when I have the inclination.
Please dont double-post!
Answer already here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/can-you-overclock-cpu-on-asus-rt-n66u.37174/#post-506595

You should open it and correct heat sink, then it will go below 75°C.