What's new

Overclocking RT-AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Being a happy user of 1400/775 on AC56U, I can't agree more. Broadcom/TSMC are doing a damn good job on the SoCs.

Not really sure how Asus did it in the latest codes. Since you @hggomes had the experience of overloading SetTxPower() in previous codes, you might be faster than other ppl to find a way out.

Any luck so far?

I didnt tested .56 FW more than 10m, so i cannot really tell too much about it.

It's just like:

"Since now we have new models available and we want to sell them good, lets just lock old models so that could happen... Or people will not see any real performance differences on new models after spending their money."

Also, IMO it's non-sense continously releasing new router models sticked to the EXACT same CPU model after 4 years in a row, by only attaching new or more radios to it and adding extra software support on them as a marketing strategy, specially when theres other manufaturers brands available on the market, obviously im seeing it as a consumer perspective since we are buying the same products after 4 years, 8 models same CPU /RAM hardware, other 3 unreleased models still same CPU but with double RAM amount.

ASUS needs to step forward, i dont see a real motive for buying a new router, if you already have ANY ASUS ARM router model.

Last edited:
Please guys....im a newbie on this.

Can someone help me to overclock my AC56U (latest Merlin fw 378.56 with CFE 1.0.2.3).

Something like step-by-step.

I think clk 1000,666 was good.

How to do that?

ASUS needs to step forward, i dont see a real motive for buying a new router, if you already have ANY ASUS ARM router model.

Broadcom are the ones that need to move forward, not Asus. The bcm47904 that will be used in the routers coming out in the next few months is the latest available from Broadcom for HND devices. So since they can't move any further hardware-wise, they do so where they can: software-wise. In this area, they are jumping way ahead of the competition already.

As I said last year when the RT-AC87U was released: its biggest asset wasn't its hardware, but the Trend Micro DPI engine, and everything it brought with it.

As for whether Asus deliberately prevented overclocking: that's not the case. There was no new code specifically tied to clkfreq. The issue is really with how nvram settings are globally handled - clkfreq is not in the rc/shared/defaults.c arrays, therefore it gets wiped out, and replaced by its CFE value.

They could go to Atheros/Qualcomm A15, A57 CPUs instead, i know the limitation is from Broadcom CPUs arch, but they dont really need to be tied to them, if Broadcom still keeps the old bunch of CPUs for more 1-2 years in the desk should ASUS still realease new router models with them?

That was my point.

About the OC i will need to test it when so i can have a real confirmation whats going on. :)

Last edited:
As for whether Asus deliberately prevented overclocking: that's not the case. There was no new code specifically tied to clkfreq. The issue is really with how nvram settings are globally handled - clkfreq is not in the rc/shared/defaults.c arrays, therefore it gets wiped out, and replaced by its CFE value.

Interesting finding. When does this replacement happen? After boot up...and does it only once..?

When it boots, it will check for values if not find them will get them from the bootloader.

Then seems putting the nvram statements in /jffs/scripts/init-start is a better temp workaround. This gets the display and next boot both right.

It losts the values at second reboot or power off, thats what's happenning, so setting them a via boot script will do the trick.

Interesting, I can't get anything to stick using /jffs/scripts/init-start on my AC56U with 1.0.2.3 boot loader.

I'm trying:

nvram set clkfreq=1000,533
nvram commit

Interesting, I can't get anything to stick using /jffs/scripts/init-start on my AC56U with 1.0.2.3 boot loader.

I'm trying:

nvram set clkfreq=1000,533
nvram commit

You have to upgrade ur cfe to 1.0.2.6/7 first before AC56U is overclockable.

The last few posts in this thread are specific to a new issue in 378.56. Otherwise u don't need the workaround in /jffs/scripts/init-start. E.g in 378.55 u apply once it will stick.

EDIT:

CFE 1.0.2.6 or 1.0.2.7 is need only if overclocking memory clock.

Last edited:

The last few posts in this thread are specific to a new issue in 378.56. Otherwise u don't need the workaround in /jffs/scripts/init-start. E.g in 378.55 u apply once it will stick.

Sorry, my bad - the script was missing the shebang and it wasn't executable. That's the trouble with tinkering with Unix once every few months!

Are you sure about 1.0.2.6/7 for overclocking? Tools - System Information reports CPU Frequency as 1000 on 1.0.2.3 running 378.56

Are you sure about 1.0.2.6/7 for overclocking? Tools - System Information reports CPU Frequency as 1000 on 1.0.2.3 running 378.56

Sorry, ignore that comment - running 'openssl speed aes-256-cbc' indicates that the overclocking isn't really being applied. I've reverted back to 378.55 for the time being.

Sorry, ignore that comment - running 'openssl speed aes-256-cbc' indicates that the overclocking isn't really being applied. I've reverted back to 378.55 for the time being.

Can also check 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'. The BogusMIPS value is roughly two times CPU clock in MHz.

Thanks for reporting back your result. It contradicts with other people's claims where the actual CPU is overclocked after first boot. You did check and ensure that before reboot your nvram still holds the overclocked clkfreq value?

Can also check 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'. The BogusMIPS value is roughly two times CPU clock in MHz.

Thanks for reporting back your result. It contradicts with other people's claims where the actual CPU is overclocked after first boot. You did check and ensure that before reboot your nvram still holds the overclocked clkfreq value?

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow evening on this one as I'm back on 378.55 and it's a bit late now to flash to 378.56.

My current BogoMIPS is 1999 and 1992 for processors 0 and 1 respectively - which, as you say, is roughly 2 x my 1000,533 setting.

openssl speed aes-256-cbc gives:

16 bytes - 24205.43k
64 bytes - 26123.18k
256 bytes - 27088.05k
1024 bytes - 27229.18k
8192 bytes - 27287.55k

So, overclocking with 'nvram set' is definitely working prior to 378.56 on CFE 1.0.2.3.

I will get back to you tomorrow with the 378.56 results.

OK, just to confirm that everything now seems to be fine after upgrading to 378.56 and recreating /jffs/scripts/init-start.

I can only assume that init-start wasn't being executed on reboot as it ran without errors from the command line.

'openssl speed aes-256-cbc' and 'bogoMIPS' are reporting as in post #335 and 'nvram get clkfreq' is 1000,533.

Apologies to all concerned for time wasting!

Hi
First I added a fan like this...
h6ZYfPg.jpg

The top screws fit into gaps already there...
fDIq9ET.jpg

I'm waiting for spare parts to my Dremel so the hole is a work in progress. Connecting a 12 volt fan to this router is not trivial, for some reason the router is supplied by 19 volt but only seems to use 5 volt and less. But since I had the cheap dc to dc converter you can see in the picture to the left I solved the problem that way.
JSfweE8.jpg

The DC to DC converter should of course be connected after the power switch.

This works well, the temperature where 70+ degrees Celsius and drop down to a very stable 54 degree instead. However I will change to a larger fan to make it more silent. I'm also considering trying to implement rotation speed control and feedback, maybe via gpio or serial.

If you are going to do something like this maybe this could be good to know.
The router is hard to open, probably close to impossible for a first timer to open it without breaking some plastic hocks. However the case is secured with a lot of this snap in hocks so hopefully it won't be very visible at the end. Also you first of all have to remove the grey plastic stand, you will soon realize that this is also hard. After that you will find two screws under the black long sticker with information about macs and stuff. Drooping the voltage with a resistor is very ugly. You need very little air movement to cool the router effectively.

//AlgoJerViA

EDIT:

CFE 1.0.2.6 or 1.0.2.7 is need only if overclocking memory clock.
My AC56U is running Merlin's 378.56_2 firmware. I've updated my CFE to 1.0.2.9. No matter what values I place in my init-start script, 1000,666 or 1200,666 or 1400,800, when I reboot my router, it locks up and I have to factory reset it to get it to boot up. On older firmwares, I was able to run at 1200,800 and 1400,800 without issues using:
nvram set clkfreq=1X00,800
nvram commit

If CFE 1.0.2.9 has been working for your overclock in an earlier version of Merlin firmware, then it's weird that by upgrading to 378.56, it stops working...

Otherwise, I would suggest you going back to CFE 1.0.2.6 or 1.0.2.7 _unless_ your AC56U came pre-installed with 1.0.2.9.

BTW, the latest guide for overclocking in 378.56 here:

https://github.com/kvic-z/goodies-asuswrt/wiki/Overclock-Asuswrt-Merlin-on-v378.56-and-beyond

My AC56U is running Merlin's 378.56_2 firmware. I've updated my CFE to 1.0.2.9. No matter what values I place in my init-start script, 1000,666 or 1200,666 or 1400,800, when I reboot my router, it locks up and I have to factory reset it to get it to boot up. On older firmwares, I was able to run at 1200,800 and 1400,800 without issues using:
nvram set clkfreq=1X00,800
nvram commit