What's new

Overclocking RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes. Both are ARM routers so it is:

nvram get clkfreq (Tells you what the current clock setting are)

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

Then reboot the router.
When I Putty my settings likewise in the info page says 1200... but if I reboot the router, the ac87r/u returs back to default 1000 cpu frequency.... Im I missing something because I cannot reboot....

Do you have a manual how do I exactly the asus 87u overclock to 1400 (cpu), and what do I actually need to do this.

Go to Adminstration / System
upload_2015-12-31_13-37-36.png

Apply /reboot
connect via ssh and go to /jffs/scripts/.

Check with
nvram commit

if it works fine for a while ....

To get this as permanent (after reboots), use a script named "services-start"
in /jffs/scripts/ :
#!/bin/sh
sleep 4
nvram commit
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/services-start
Do not forget to "chmod 777 services-start".

Yes. Both are ARM routers so it is:

nvram get clkfreq (Tells you what the current clock setting are)

nvram commit

Then reboot the router.

Apologies for rookie question: where do I enter the commands above? (I am using Merlin).
Similarly: is there a way to push up the tx power? i was told there is, but cannot find how to do it in practice.
thanks in advance.

Crossed with above - which helps, but what does it mean
apply /reboot?
how does one "Checke with ... nvram..."?
how does one "use a script"?

thanks again
PS: is there some how-to doc somewhere to read?

Read my post?

I think you should learn the basics about ssh and so on.
For what Do you need o/c by the way?

When i overclock in nvram to 1200,800 0r 1400,800 or 1400,1400 it does NOT in any way increase my Mbps speed on vpn where it should, maybe even marginaly by few Mpgs.
Anyone know why. Again if off topic i'll probably address in overclock thread but since this is VPN thread might as well ask too.

No overclocked vpn speeds on 87u router.

256aes 30Mbps
128aes 34Mbps

Overclocked 1400 value same speeds as non-overclocked. Odd. I checked if it too get clock freq and it took but no change. Thank you in advance.

When i overclock in nvram to 1200,800 0r 1400,800 or 1400,1400 it does NOT in any way increase my Mbps speed on vpn where it should, maybe even marginaly by few Mpgs.
Anyone know why. Again if off topic i'll probably address in overclock thread but since this is VPN thread might as well ask too.
R u sure you ARE overclocked? The latest Asus firmware resets it to CFE defaults on runtime... :rolleyes:

On my AC87U I have improvements with overclocking, as I made sure it stay overclocked - see here for the details (discussed for the AC68U, but also applies for AC87U)! ;)

Joe thanks. I'm overclocked in mips now but gui don't show overclock but i don't care if that's just cosmetic. At 29xx mips my vpn shows as follow. Now i have to see if script will keep it alive tomorrow. hehe. Many thanks. Hopefully i did script correctly.

256aes 37Mbps
128aes 54Mbps

I'm overclocked in mips now but gui don't show overclock but i don't care if that's just cosmetic.
Yep, that's a know issue: The recent Asus firmware resets NVRAM values on runtime to the Bootloader (CFE) defaults - therefore you see your values only shortly after reboot. But: It does not reset the CPU timing (done only on reboot)! :rolleyes:

Therefore the services-stop script does a good job to set the desired clkfreq values for the reboot... :D

So just to confirm for script to work all i needed to do is enable scripts in gui to yet and then in SSH past each line into cmd of ssh and that will place, write and execute at reboots correct?

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/scripts

echo "#!/bin/sh" > /jffs/scripts/services-stop
echo "nvram set clkfreq=1000,666" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
echo "nvram commit" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/services-stop

cat /jffs/scripts/services-stop

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/scripts
echo "nvram set clkfreq=1000,666" >> /jffs/scripts/services-stop
The clkfreq line is incorrect for the AC87U router: should be for overclocking 1200 or 1400 for CPU and 800 for RAM... :rolleyes:
The value 1000,800 is to set back the default!

Thanks Joe. I know but I was asking if i setup the script correctly, meaning if i paste each line in SSH and enter will it write it into jjfs directory by doing that. I do not know how else to do it

Thanks Joe. I know but I was asking if i setup the script correctly, meaning if i paste each line in SSH and enter will it write it into jjfs directory by doing that. I do not know how else to do it
Yes, it is!

hey i am on rtac87u on 1500 cpu and 1000 mem for 3-4 month no disconnection or nothing very stable
and with small fan
2.4 GHz: 43°C | 5 GHz: 57°C | CPU: 63°C
1500 MHz
i dont get it why you have problems or maybe something wrong with my tuning?

I purchased the cool master slim 2 for my AC87u. CPU temp went from the low 80' to low 60's.

Question about using these types of fans. Are they ok to leave on all the time? Or does everyone turn them off once in a while?

Another question would be if there's a way to turn on/off the USB port from the admin panel. Or if Merlin has thought about building an automatic temperature feature that would turn on the USB port to allow these fans to cool the router when needed.

Cheers!

I purchased the cool master slim 2 for my AC87u. CPU temp went from the low 80' to low 60's.
No cooling needed as the chips are build for even much higher temps - discussed many times in the forum. :rolleyes:

But if you want to do it you need to leave the fan running 24x7! Or only in summer times? It's fully up to you if you want to do it or not - as it's not needed. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!