What's new

ovpn server config with diversion/skynet...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alekos

Occasional Visitor
I will make try to make this quick. My setup is anRT-AC86U running latest firmware and diversion+pixelserv/skynet. Freshly installed after a fully reset. I have a few questions:
1. What DNS Server should I use with this setup?
2. After setting up a vpn server, I cannot access any LAN devices, for example login to router, and ssh into router, settings are completely default.
3. my last issue is, when I vpn into the router, I get ads and does not seem diversion is blocking my vpn connection- how can diversion be used with my vpn server?
I am currently trying quad9 dns, and I have a simple setup. I just want to access local devices and have diversion/skynet work while I connect to vpn.
Thanks for your help/ (edit: I have tried to forward the vpn port to router ip. I can access the web just not lan devices)

I guess I'm still confused what the best setting for DNS options should be, should I use a DNS and enable "Advertise DNS to clients" - just would still like to have diversion work when I'm connected to my router's vpn...

1.JPG 2.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not the best source of help for this but I see you haven't gotten a response yet. I have an 86U with diversion, pixelserv and skynet. I also am running unbound, which complicates this. And I have both openvpn servers set up and can access local devices and go through the router to the internet with diversion, etc in the mix. Which I think is what you want to do.

1. My DNS servers are blank, and I think this is one source of your problem. You want to use the router as the dns server, I think, or diversion doesn't kick in.
2. On the VPN server general page, make sure the configuration is set to "Both", so you can access the internet and the lan. You shouldn't have to do anything else, and certainly not any port forwarding.

Last edited:
I'm not the best source of help for this but I see you haven't gotten a response yet. I have an 86U with diversion, pixelserv and skynet. I also am running unbound, which complicates this. And I have both openvpn servers set up and can access local devices and go through the router to the internet with diversion, etc in the mix. Which I think is what you want to do.
1. My DNS servers are blank, and I think this is one source of your problem. You want to use the router as the dns server, I think, or diversion doesn't kick in.
2. On the VPN server general page, make sure the configuration is set to "Both", so you can access the internet and the lan. You shouldn't have to do anything else, and certainly not any port forwarding.

I appreciate your reply!. I had a similiar setup a few months ago and it was working. This is why I was stumped. Anyhow, after a reboot of my phone and router, it actually started to work.
Are these settings correct for using No specific DNS:
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS - yes
Enable DNS Rebind protection - no
Enable DNSSEC support - no
Prevent client auto DoH - auto

I appreciate your reply!. I had a similiar setup a few months ago and it was working. This is why I was stumped. Anyhow, after a reboot of my phone and router, it actually started to work.
Are these settings correct for using No specific DNS:
My settings are the same except forwarding local domain queries is 'no'. I'm not running a Windows Server. Have a look at this thread: Forwarding local domain queries?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!