What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here's the one that I own and haven't had a problem with it.....It's not self powered like the passports, so you do have the extra power jack to deal with, and its much larger in size, but it works fine with this router.

WD 2 TB Elements External Desktop Hard Disc Drive (MDL# WDBWLG0020HBK)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=983304&is=REG&A=details&Q=
I prefer the smaller, self powered drives. Mainly because I do move them around to various systems, especially for large file copies.

I created a support case with WD, the reply was to RMA it. So I'll send it in, with a note to possibly replace it with a drive that doesn't have their Smartware or SES crap. I doubt they'll do it, but worth a try.

Just thought i'd put it out there to let you and others know....
Glad that they are RMA'n the "paperweight" , haha
Good Luck and hope it works out for ya
Zainday

Cannot connect to internet using PPPoE

I installed Padavans Custom Firmware on my Asus RT-N14U.
I have a fiber optic connection that requires a username and a password.
It is Mac-Binded by the ISP.

I cannot connect to the internet even when the internet led (WAN) is on.

Log :

Jan 1 00:01:51 pppd[403]: Connected to 00:07:e9:5e:4a:13 via interface eth2.2
Jan 1 00:01:51 pppd[403]: Using interface ppp0
Jan 1 00:01:51 pppd[403]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth2.2
Jan 1 00:01:56 pppd[403]: CHAP authentication failed
Jan 1 00:01:56 pppd[403]: CHAP authentication failed
Jan 1 00:01:56 pppd[403]: Connection terminated.
Jan 1 00:01:56 pppd[403]: Sent PADT

Please help Im a noob at this :D

mihir_rocks
On Padavan's firmware your MAC was changed (it's not a bug, it's a feature)
You can set you old MAC using web-interface (WAN settings) or you can call ISP to rebind MAC.

Thank you for your reply, I shall try this out and get back to you, this means i will have to flash my router with Padavans firmware again.. :D

Edit: Can you tell me how to change my mac address?
I see no such option :O

Thank you!

OMG it worked... i was making a silly mistake.. was clicking the (+) button after inserting my original mac address... i just had to click apply..

Thank you so much MercuryV :)

I search a lot but couldn't really find anything directly related.

I have the Padavan firmware version 78.55.53.48-072

I have been trying to connect to a PPTP vpn server cause i want my router to stay connected to VPN server and all the devices that are connect to router to be on the VPN.

I tried the VPN Client, it connects but the ip address stays the same as local internet connection.

I tried changing WAN connection IPoE: Automatic to PPTP, it doesn't work.

any help??

I have the same exact issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If I understand correctly, Padavan's firmware is based on Asus firmware for N56u etc. Where is it documented which version of the Asus firmware Padavan's releases are built from? Or has the firmware diverged significantly from Asus stock?

Secondly, what is the approach to security underlying Padavan's releases - for example, what are the default settings on listening ports and how easy is it to permanently shut down all internet facing ports and services (including ots)?

Just have to report something I've seen with Padavan's firmware.

Not sure if it is the firmware or not, but it is interesting none the less.

Last week I flashed the latest Padavan (x.75 base) firmware to a customers RT-N56U.

There are no issues with it except a little bit lower performance and possibly range in the Wireless connections (both bands). I did not worry too much on this aspect; it is used almost solely as a (wired) router.

The Wired performance and Routing performance has increased tremendously and easily outweighs the (possible) small reduction in wireless performance.

My observation though is this:

On the Ookla speed tests, this connection which was showing anywhere from 5 to 20ms latency is now showing 0.00ms latency (this is a cable based connection).

Is this normal? Or is this somehow being cached by the router?

Either way, no complaints - just this one question that is intriguing to me.

Thanks to Padavan for this great firmware on the RT-N56U: the router feels brand new again!

new Firmware is online :)

3.X.3.7-079:
----------------------------------------------------------
[RT-N14U]
- Fixed MT7620 FrameEngine hungs on chip REV 0203 (MT7620 TX checksum offload bug).
- Fixed Ethernet ports link mode control for MT7620 embedded switch.
- Fixed configuring MT7620 embedded switch params at router startup.
- Fixed MT7620 USB hungs on plug USB FullSpeed (USB 1.1) devices.
- Fixed MT7620 unstable CPU_PLL clock (counter and system clock drift).
- Fixed ASUS DDNS update after account registration on ASUS-WRT firmware.
- WebUI Ethernet switch control improvements.
[RT-N56U]
- Migrate to kernel-3.0.x by default (best performance). kernel-3.4.x still supported.
[RT-N65U]
- Fixed stupid reboot system after iNIC firmware boot failed (e.g. iNIC module broken).
- Ability to complete disable iNIC module (nvram set inic_disable=1).
[Common changes]
- Enabled kernel High Resolution Timer support - boost userspace applications
using a TUN/TAP interface, such as gogoc (gw6c) client, OpenVPN and others.
- Added support IPv6 privacy extensions feature for WAN stateless mode.
- Added feature to set fixed Wireless link speed mode for Guest AP.
- Added Transmission Web Control (https://code.google.com/p/transmission-control).
- Added SSH brute-force protection and enabled by default.
- Added IPv6 firewall for FORWARD chain (drop all incoming connections).
- Fixed broken IPSec NAT-T/IKE with HW_NAT UDP offload enabled.
- Fixed PPPoE MAN ZeroConf logic on manual MAN address exist in NVRAM.
- Fixed restart firewall after Aria2 and Transmission stop.
- Updated radvd to 1.9.8.
- Updated dropbear SSH to v2013.62, enable ECDH and ZLIB support.
- Updated miniupnpd to 1.8.20140211, enable Port Control Protocol (PCP) support.
- Improved handling start Optware/Entware packets.
- Improved NTP client reliability.
- Tune LAN DHCPv6 server IRT=1800 for static modes.
- Tune some default Transmission options.

so as far as the 56u goes....looks like the kernel is the only change.

[RT-N56U]
- Migrate to kernel-3.0.x by default (best performance). kernel-3.4.x still supported.

sure wish he would get streaming working with the ps3 (dlna 2104 errors)....
wonder if it works with the ps4.....

he had it working fine with ep2 (old version).....
not sure why it's been pushed aside.
streaming works fine with stock and wrt version....
seems like it would be an easy fix if compaired....
oh well....maybe someday....lol

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, Padavan's firmware is based on Asus firmware for N56u etc. Where is it documented which version of the Asus firmware Padavan's releases are built from? Or has the firmware diverged significantly from Asus stock?

Secondly, what is the approach to security underlying Padavan's releases - for example, what are the default settings on listening ports and how easy is it to permanently shut down all internet facing ports and services (including ots)?

Padavan's firmware started with the Asus firmware back in the old days *smile*. It isn't like RMerlin's work where Padavan takes each Asus release and merges it into his work. Not too long after Padavan started, his firmware diverged from Asus, and now is on it's own path, and has been for quite a while. Padavan was the first to add features for the RT-N56U like guest network, IPv6, and so on.

So the answer to your question is that at this point, Padavan's firmware is not based on Asus firmware any more, it is on it's own development path. Works very well, but Padavan goes his own way at this point, and has been doing so for some time now.

I'm not using Padavan's firmware at the moment, but typically any service that you aren't using and haven't configured will be shut down, and any ports involved will be not be open. Of course, if you configure various services, the ports needed by those services will be opened, and if you then de-configure those services, those ports will again be closed. You can always check this by using one of the online port scanners, there are at least a couple (chappell family and grc.com are two notable ones). These scanners can tell you what the state of the ports on your router and/or computers are from the WAN side.

Seems like this is a step back from the .75 firmware for the RT-N56U?

(Firmware version is lower...).

new Firmware is online :)

3.X.3.7-079:
----------------------------------------------------------
[RT-N14U]
- Fixed MT7620 FrameEngine hungs on chip REV 0203 (MT7620 TX checksum offload bug).
- Fixed Ethernet ports link mode control for MT7620 embedded switch.
- Fixed configuring MT7620 embedded switch params at router startup.
- Fixed MT7620 USB hungs on plug USB FullSpeed (USB 1.1) devices.
- Fixed MT7620 unstable CPU_PLL clock (counter and system clock drift).
- Fixed ASUS DDNS update after account registration on ASUS-WRT firmware.
- WebUI Ethernet switch control improvements.
[RT-N56U]
[RT-N65U]
- Fixed stupid reboot system after iNIC firmware boot failed (e.g. iNIC module broken).
- Ability to complete disable iNIC module (nvram set inic_disable=1).
[Common changes]
- Enabled kernel High Resolution Timer support - boost userspace applications
using a TUN/TAP interface, such as gogoc (gw6c) client, OpenVPN and others.
- Added support IPv6 privacy extensions feature for WAN stateless mode.
- Added feature to set fixed Wireless link speed mode for Guest AP.
- Added Transmission Web Control (https://code.google.com/p/transmission-control).
- Added SSH brute-force protection and enabled by default.
- Added IPv6 firewall for FORWARD chain (drop all incoming connections).
- Fixed broken IPSec NAT-T/IKE with HW_NAT UDP offload enabled.
- Fixed PPPoE MAN ZeroConf logic on manual MAN address exist in NVRAM.
- Fixed restart firewall after Aria2 and Transmission stop.
- Updated radvd to 1.9.8.
- Updated dropbear SSH to v2013.62, enable ECDH and ZLIB support.
- Updated miniupnpd to 1.8.20140211, enable Port Control Protocol (PCP) support.
- Improved handling start Optware/Entware packets.
- Improved NTP client reliability.
- Tune LAN DHCPv6 server IRT=1800 for static modes.
- Tune some default Transmission options.

Seems like this is a step back from the .75 firmware for the RT-N56U?

(Firmware version is lower...).

3.X.3.7-079

The first two digits represent the Kernel version it was compiled with. As of today this was changed from the 3.4.x kernel to the 3.0.x kernel for performance reasons. The last three digits are the build version.

Well I went ahead and flashed .79 from wrt, to test if the usb drive would stream to the ps3....
(wrt ran my usb drive fine)
but when I tried .79, it would show the drive , but when I put the cursor over the drive icon it would always say it was unmounted....
usb/dlna was turned on etc....
looking at the logs, it look like it didn't like the ext3 format (possibly)
couldn't figure out how to get it mounted.....
tried power cycle and unplug replug drive.....
prior versions I tried of padavans, the usb drive would mount fine and show up on pc/laptop/360, but wouldn't stream to ps3 without errors....
with .79 and the drive being unmounted, it doesn't show up on anything....
don't know crap about linux coding and don't want to screw up my 1.5 tb of movies.
so back to wrt it had to go.....
if someone knows why this happened or what to do to easily get it to mount, i'd give it another shot......
I know ps3 has had some updates and got that all flash to newest firmware.....
Thanks in advance for any suggestions....
Padavans firmware runs better then wrt (seems to load faster, surfing etc)
it's just the drive issues that keep me from using it....

Hmmmm... Looks like Andy is having issues with the repository. For those who are looking for the newest firmware go here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0clSzFg6jb9ejVLX0cyR0ZpMWs&usp=sharing#list

No zip files, just the .trx files.

I updated, and it looks good. The Transmission control interface got upgraded, BIG TIME! I'm still trying to figure it out with all it's new features.

I wish I could help out with trying to find work-arounds with a PS3, but I don't have one. But... you should be trying to access your media via miniDLNA, not via a samba share.

I know that older versions of miniDLNA have issues with a PS3. Not sure which version Andy is using. Also I know that the PS3 has issues with large MP4 files. I'm sure you've tried just playing your movies directly on your PS3 and they play just fine...?

3.X.3.7-079

The first two digits represent the Kernel version it was compiled with. As of today this was changed from the 3.4.x kernel to the 3.0.x kernel for performance reasons. The last three digits are the build version.

Adamm, thank you. Being the 'faster' version, I upgraded my customer's RT-N56U to .79.

Guz, I also downloaded the .trx file directly from Google Drive for this latest version. I only use the 'base' version and the routing performance increase over the Asus v2239 was and still is phenomenal.

For my uses (basic routing/strong wireless networking), I would be one of the first to try a version of Padavan's firmware for my RT-N66U and/or the newer RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68U.

The RT-N56U is one of the best routers (still, for ~$80) for wired routing performance. The Padavan firmware takes that advantage and puts it on turbo.

If the same routing performance increase can happen on newer hardware (and hopefully keep or increase wireless performance too); I hope he's working on it as we speak. :)

Hmmmm... Looks like Andy is having issues with the repository. For those who are looking for the newest firmware go here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0clSzFg6jb9ejVLX0cyR0ZpMWs&usp=sharing#list

No zip files, just the .trx files.

I updated, and it looks good. The Transmission control interface got upgraded, BIG TIME! I'm still trying to figure it out with all it's new features.

I wish I could help out with trying to find work-arounds with a PS3, but I don't have one. But... you should be trying to access your media via miniDLNA, not via a samba share.

I know that older versions of miniDLNA have issues with a PS3. Not sure which version Andy is using. Also I know that the PS3 has issues with large MP4 files. I'm sure you've tried just playing your movies directly on your PS3 and they play just fine...?

Yes they play fine streaming from usb with 1.0.1.8e-p2 version of padavans (old gui), stock firmware and wrt versions....they all play fine on all pcs, laptops, 360 , and ps3.
Most of my files are 2 gbs roughly, have a couple 4 gbs but they all play fine, except for padavans later firmware after 1.0.1.8e-p2....
With his newer stuff, I can stream to pcs and even 360 but not my ps3 (which is what i have in my main tv area)

Im trying to stream with upnp/dlna....not samba..
Using the DLNA Full version of firmware.

I know it has to be something small and stupid cause he had it working and like i said stock and wrt work fine with all there versions.
It's just a matter of narrowing it down and since I know nothing about coding I have no clue.....
I do understand that narrowing it down isn't easy, but would be nice to be able to use his firmware since it runs smooth, but without being able to stream , kinda defeat a major issue for me and others.

Here's a link to the "issues" and you'll see others are having same problem..
https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues/detail?id=275
Thanks for your time Guz!
Appreciate it!

Last edited: