What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Finally worked it out.. Simple enough..
Just flashed this file..
RT-N56U_3.4.3.8-081.trx
From this mirror link....
Thanks for the hosting
http://198.23.248.102/N56U/

No problem, I'd rather the build server be useful to the community then just gather dust for my personal use :p

No problem, I'd rather the build server be useful to the community then just gather dust for my personal use :p

I found it useful and awesome. There are intelligent people out there. Thanx man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site-to-site VPN connection

Hello everyone,
I'm hoping someone could help me out setting up site-to-site VPN connection between my asus router with padavan firmware and OpenVPN server (pfSense firewall).
I have managed to setup VPN client so it connects to my OpenVPN server (server is on pfSense firewall). Everything appears to be working from asus routers side - i can ping VPN servers subnets. The problem is - I'm unable to reach clients network (the one with asus padavan firmware) from VPN server network. From server side I can only access router (and only using OpenVPN tunnel address). What I need is to access network behind asus router from VPN servers network. I tried to ping web server on VPN servers (pfSense) network side from my asus router network to see what IP ping is coming from and it's coming from OpenVPN tunnel address but not from asus routers local network address. It seems as if asus router is natting my OpenVPN connection. Is there a way to solve this? (I feel like i've tried everything already) :/
Basically what I need is to setup site-to-site VPN from my asus router with padavan firmware to my works network so I can reach my work network from home and vise versa. Any VPN client protocol could be used. I know my configuration on VPN server side is correct, because I have setup similar OpenVPN site-to-site connection between two pfSense firewalls and its working as expected.

EDIT: I was able to solve my problem! I needed to add client specific configuration for vpn client in my VPN server (pfSense):
pfSense --> OpenVPN --> Client Specific Override --> new --> Common name (enter common name of your VPN client) --> Advanced (iroute <network_on_asus_router_side> 255.255.255.0 route <network_on_asus_router_side> 255.255.255.0).
For people with different OpenVPN servers looking for a solution to a similar problem - check out manual for commands ccd (client-config-dir) and iroute.

Last edited:
Latest padavan firmware issue

Just for information

I upgrade to .81 , it broken everyday.

Try .79, wifi signal very weak, broken sometimes.

Downgrade to .75, wifi still weak and sometimes lost connect.

Right now used .72, it work for 2 days and strong wifi, so recommend this version.

Last advice, if your N56U works fine, then don't upgrade !!!!

Has anyone used this to setup OpenVPN with dial-in users? I had to set this up using TUN instead of TAP. If I used TAP, it wouldn't connect using a Windows 7 client. I tried to set the VPN with the same subnet as my local LAN but on a different DHCP block (ie. 192.168.1.200 ~ 192.168.1.210) but on the client side, it would say the netmask was wrong and it was supposed to be 255.255.255.252, so I swapped it back to TUN.

So far, I got the VPN connected to the router here in my test lab and I can ping the gateway IP. The only issue I have is that it won't reach my internal LAN ip with the new subnet created with the VPN. I have to manually add a route in windows by using this command: route add 192.168.168.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.169.1, to have it work.

I tried going to the advanced OPENVPN configuration, adding, push route "192.168.168.0 255.255.255.0" in the box and applying it, reconnect to the VPN but the route doesn't get added to my routing table after it connects to the VPN.

Anyone have any issues or ever encountered this? There seems to be no documentation for the OpenVPN configuration for Pavadan's firmware.

Internal LAN: 192.168.168.0/24
VPN Network: 192.168.169.0/24
Pavandan Firmware version: .80

**EDIT**

I managed to get it working. I rebooted the Asus and my computer and the route gets added to my routing table on my Windows 7 machine. I can ping to the computer and also connected by SMB! Just add the push "route subnet subnetmask gateway" to the openvpn advanced config box and your good. My log:

Tue Apr 22 11:14:30 2014 C:\Windows\system32\route.exe ADD 192.168.168.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.169.1
Tue Apr 22 11:14:30 2014 ROUTE: CreateIpForwardEntry succeeded with dwForwardMetric1=30 and dwForwardType=4

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm trying to use my n56u with VPN (client) but when I type in the adress/login/password-info and press Apply, my wifi ssid gets put in the login-box for some reason, and the VPN doesn't work??

The VPN works great directly on my computer...

Will Padavan move to N66U?

Hey guys, I've been using the padavan firmware (totally love it) on my n56u in this configuration.

ONT --> AC68U (5ghz wireless) --> N56U(5ghz client) --> wireless via 2.4ghz and wired via lan.

This has been working well although the 5ghz wireless between both routers are somewhat less than optimal when a door is closed at times. (So i attribute it to the n56u not having external antennas)

Thinking the n66u might have strong signal strength, I borrowed an unused one and was trying from ddwrt to tomato and also merlin. However, none of these other custom firmware allowed me to set up the way padavan did (selecting as client then survey and add the network (AC68u) to join). I am lost as to how to configure the N66U so that it will be able to mimic the n56u padavan configuration. WDS doesn't cut it for me because of the WPA2 requirements (ASUS only allows WEP or open), am I doing something wrong with the N66U?

Please HELP with my VPN Client Setup...

I am on ver .81 base firmware.

But I am struggling with configuring the VPN client. I want to use OpenVPN.

I know I have to paste the Root certificate from OpenVPN files but it seems like there is something else that is not correctly set which is not letting it work...

Here is what I have so far in the screenshot below:

http://imgur.com/AdXviXE

and when it connects as in the screen below, I can't browse..the browser times out..

http://imgur.com/Jt59KUK

Also what do I put under "OpenVPN Extended Configuration"

Here is what I want to use..
http://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ddwrt_openvpn

Please take a moment to check it out for me. muchly appreciated

EDIT- Problem resolved.

I changed the WAN DNS Setting

Get the DNS Server Address Automatically? to No

and keyed in the following Google DNS address - 8.8.8.8

Last edited:
Can someone recommend me script to reconnect to internet if wan is down or modem hang-up?
Using RT-N65U with USB Huawei E367 modem and sometimes it lost internet connection, but after Reconnect button click it successfully connect to internet. So, if exist some script, will be helpfull. Im using router as own cloud for data storage via internet.

I don't have a script for you, but you can write your own:
Create a cron job that runs every 5 min or so and pings google.com for example. If it fails, it restarts the router. This is as simple as it gets. I don't know what needs to be triggered to just restart wan. You would need to dig in the source code.

Hi, Im new here. I just bought N56U, probability will receive it next Monday.

I did some research by google, looks the Padavan's firmware is the best choice. so I went to RT-N56U to download the firmware. there are four versions: aria, base, dlna and trmd. Padavan gives a list for difference of these four version, but honestly, I have no idea what exactly it is :(

their "mandatory" are exactly same, and difference is in "include" and "exclude".

Mostly I do surfing internet, watching online TV from TVbox, IP phone, downloading & uploading files, will try to starting using VPN, looks like the "DLNA + Transmission build" is more suitable for me, do i have right choose?

May I ask which version you are using? Could you give me a brief what's the difference between those 4 versions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Hi, Im new here. I just bought N56U, probability will receive it next Monday.

I did some research by google, looks the Padavan's firmware is the best choice. so I went to RT-N56U to download the firmware. there are four versions: aria, base, dlna and trmd. Padavan gives a list for difference of these four version, but honestly, I have no idea what exactly it is :(

their "mandatory" are exactly same, and difference is in "include" and "exclude".

Mostly I do surfing internet, watching online TV from TVbox, IP phone, downloading & uploading files, will try to starting using VPN, looks like the "DLNA + Transmission build" is more suitable for me, do i have right choose?

May I ask which version you are using? Could you give me a brief what's the difference between those 4 versions?

Thanks very much in advance.
the difference between them is what extra features are included. There is a txt file for each build that will explain what features are included and excluded in that particular build. The "base" build is probably fine for your intended use.

the difference between them is what extra features are included. There is a txt file for each build that will explain what features are included and excluded in that particular build. The "base" build is probably fine for your intended use.

thanks for your reply, I just installed dlna version yesterday as many website talked. i can't find any one installed other verison:confused:

but now everything works fine, only thing what i noticed is the "Memory Free:" keeps going down. but CPU load is very low.

Is there a way to free the memory other than reboot? or just dont worry about it? now it's 10/123.38. is that a little bit too low?

It depends how many applications you are running and if they are memory-hungry. Also much of the used memory may be buffers and caches which can be reclaimed if one of the programs need it. Run "free" in ssh shell, it will tell how much is used for buffers and caches which speed up certain things. Either way, unless you experience problems, you shouldn't worry about it. Otherwise what is the point of having all this memory if it isn't being put to use.

thanks for your reply, I just installed dlna version yesterday as many website talked. i can't find any one installed other verison:confused:

but now everything works fine, only thing what i noticed is the "Memory Free:" keeps going down. but CPU load is very low.

Is there a way to free the memory other than reboot? or just dont worry about it? now it's 10/123.38. is that a little bit too low?

That does seem low for a fresh install. Have you added any applications?

Hi fsatsil, i did not install anything until yesterday. today I follow https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/wiki/HowToConfigureEntware to format my HDD to ext4 and configure to Entware. and after that i just noticed my memory back to 93.22 MB / 123.38 MB. so i guess it's normal now :D

Hi, moonman, you have the point! I just want to keep some deposit to spend :(

My next step is trying to find any good useful apps could be installed in my router, any suggestion?

thanks for all helps

Webinterface of version RT-N56U_3.0.3.8-081_base.trx

Hi guys

Iam very pleased with this firmware, compared with Tomato oops, AsusWrt Stock it a step forward. There is something wrong with the Webinterface that annyos. When logging in, you get an error message

System error for showing auth_mode!

This is since using WPA AUTO Enterprise (Radius) on both 2,4 and 5 Ghz. This works, got clients connected. But when you go to the Wireless General pages it shows "Open System" at Authentication Method. Everytime I see this I get nervous. Nothing about the story in the syslog.

Whats wrong? Any Idea?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!