What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed with the x.91 firmware on my N56U router that an entry in the log keeps popping up where it shows it removed xx number of rules. I see in the settings this is defaulted to 600 seconds. What exactly does this do and should it be set to longer than 600 seconds? I see it can have a max of 86400 seconds.

DHCP lease renewal

I have been running the Padavan firmware for several years on our RT-N56U, very pleased, stable and strong.

We have an occasional problem with Verizon FIOS in our apt. building, with loss of the WAN internet connection (on the Verizon end, upstream from the ONT). Verizon confirms its been their problem. When service is restored, the RT-N56U won't reconnect, needs a DHCP lease renewal. Have to wait 2 hours for the lease recycle to occur, or plug in the VZ ActionTec router (which I don't use) between the ONT and the RT-N56U (I run the RT-N56U straight off the ONT as my normal setup, works fine).

We don't have a DHCP lease renewal option in the Padavan firmware, if its there I can't find it. Would it be possible to add that in a future build?

Thanks for you consideration, Steve

I have been running the Padavan firmware for several years on our RT-N56U, very pleased, stable and strong.

We have an occasional problem with Verizon FIOS in our apt. building, with loss of the WAN internet connection (on the Verizon end, upstream from the ONT). Verizon confirms its been their problem. When service is restored, the RT-N56U won't reconnect, needs a DHCP lease renewal. Have to wait 2 hours for the lease recycle to occur, or plug in the VZ ActionTec router (which I don't use) between the ONT and the RT-N56U (I run the RT-N56U straight off the ONT as my normal setup, works fine).

We don't have a DHCP lease renewal option in the Padavan firmware, if its there I can't find it. Would it be possible to add that in a future build?

Thanks for you consideration, Steve

On the Internet Status page, there is a line called "Connection Control". And to the right of it there is an option to "Disconnect" and "Reconnect". This is where the IP address can be released and reconnected. This is what I use on FiOS if I need my IP address changed or if I were going to switch routers.

SSH Issue

I just upgraded to version 3.4.3.9-091. I can no longer login with Putty (SSH). I put in the correct username and password and then it closes the connection. Any ideas?

Edit: Turned off Telnet and SSH. Apply. Turn them back on. Apply. Reboot. Now it works again.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much more secure this firmware is over the default one offered from ASUS, or is this one just based on more options?

What do you mean by 'secure' ?

If you want to know if it is vulnerable with the recent bugs reported:

Shellshock: no bash in the firmware, no schellshock.
Heartbleed: openssl library is iupdated as soon as there is a new version available. So if you are running a recent build then no.

RT-N65U random ping issue

Hi, I recently installed Padavan's RT-N65U_3.0.3.9-091_full.trx firmware.
I'm having random high ping issue, especially while playing games such as; League of Legends.
Ping might go up to 1000+ every few minutes, and it often goes up to 200+.
When in-game ping goes up, ping 192.168.1.1 -t in cmd goes up as well.

I'm certain that it is not my cable modem's problem since I have tested the modem by connecting directly to my laptop.
It showed no problem by pinging 192.168.1.1 -t and I checked my ISP as well.

I don't know which log I need to attach in order to provide information for you guys to detect the problem.
Can you guys help me with this situation?

What is your connection capacity?
Are there any other devices on the network downloading/uploading?
Are you on wireless or wired connection?

It's cable internet, 30Mbps down, 10Mbps up.
When I switched to 5.0GHz connection, the problem disappeared.
Strange thing is, It worked correct after 1 factory reset done.
Guess 2.4 GHz have too many interference in my home.
For 2.4 GHz connection, no matter how many computers or devices connected, it was still having random ping issue.

Hi, I recently installed Padavan's RT-N65U_3.0.3.9-091_full.trx firmware.
I'm having random high ping issue, especially while playing games such as; League of Legends.
Ping might go up to 1000+ every few minutes, and it often goes up to 200+.
When in-game ping goes up, ping 192.168.1.1 -t in cmd goes up as well.

I'm certain that it is not my cable modem's problem since I have tested the modem by connecting directly to my laptop.
It showed no problem by pinging 192.168.1.1 -t and I checked my ISP as well.

I don't know which log I need to attach in order to provide information for you guys to detect the problem.
Can you guys help me with this situation?

I had similar issue, try this ( not sur eif in Padavan it's the same but you can compare settings):

'AMPDU RTS' option (set to enabled) and 'Enable WMM APSD' (set to disabled) under Wireless->Professional tab.

I haven't faced this issue for couple of days after setting it, thanks to John9527 and his fork:)

Guys, I'm trying to access shared from another computer on the internet folders but can not.
I have tried trying to activate the server wins /etc/smb.conf but I can not
some idea¿

FreeDNS

Please help. I'm trying to get freedns ddns service up and running and I feel like I've tried anything. Unfortunately, Padavan deleted my thread claiming it needed to be fixed by inadyn (the creators of the ddns plugin), but several others have claimed to have it working. I couldn't find any documentation on how to configure it using Padavan's firmware, so I'm here. Please help. I'm desperate. I've tried filling in the fields with the correct information, trying only filling in certain fields, turned https on and off, sometimes it won't try to update depending on how I've entered the data, sometimes it will. But no matter what I always get URL Query failed, even when I know my ip has changed.

EDIT: I'm running 3.0.3.9-091

Last edited:
minidlna

I just wanted to post a solution here since I have been having problems with getting the minidlna function to work in padavan's 3.4.3.9-91 for some time and I figured that at some point others might need it.

Anyways I connected a USB harddisk to my RT-N56U only with a single movie while I had the original ASUS firmware and I set up the DLNA for that firmware. Everything worked great and I was able to stream the movie to my Samsung smart tv.

I then decided to switch to Padavan's firmware. I immediately tried to set up the minidlna in order to have at least that functioning. My smart tv was not able to find the router as a DLNA device no matter what settings I tried.

The solution was to connect the USB harddisk to my computer, fix the disk (which was given as an option in Win7) and delete all files that the original ASUS firmware had installed. After this, I connected the harddisk again to the Router and suddenly I was able to see - and play the movie I had stored on that disk. Volá - problem solved. I do have NTFS on the disk btw, despite what many think, i.e that EXT3 or EXT4 should be used.

You have found a consistent issue with the MiniDLNA software. What I have found is there is a hidden directory created by the software named '.dms'. Inside that directory is all the cache information about what is being served. The problem is the software will create nested directory names that are to long for the NTFS file system.

The solution is to use a small USB thumb drive that is partitioned and formatted in EXT3. You turn off the MiniDLNA service, remove all the drives. Put the small USB EXT3 drive in first, turn on the MiniDLNA service (it will then create the '.dms' directory) and wait a bit for it to try to index nothing. Then plug in the NTFS drive, configure the MiniDLNA to point to where you store the files you want to use, and force a rescan. The service will still use the .dms directory on the EXT3 drive and all will be good, and your NTFS drive shouldn't have to be 'fixed' for a long time.

One caveats on the small EXT3 drive. Don't partition, format the drive on a computer then put it on the router. For some reason you will still get corruption on the drive. I put the thumb drive on the router, telnet into the router and partitioned and formatted the drive with the appropriate UNIX command in the router. After that, life has been good and stable with the MiniDLNA service.

Hey everyone! I have been working on this little project for almost a week now and I think I finally got it working! Basically I was connecting to a 3rd party VPN Service using Padavan's firmware to help protect all my data and packets. I have a couple of services that I still wanted to be able to connect to using my ISP's IP address and port forwarding (Like RDP For example) of course this has some complications. Basically you need to route certain traffic to not use your tun0 interface. I found this handy article for accomplishing this feat:

http://forum.hidemyass.com/index.ph...orts-protocols-ipas-websites-and-more-tomato/

But there are some differences with padavan's firmware. The first of which is $(nvram get wan_gateway) which on my 56U needed to be $(nvram get wan0_gateway) instead.

Additionally a line seemed to be missing to allow for specific port routing
Code:
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp -m multiport --dport $server_ports -j MARK --set-mark 1
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp -m multiport --sport $server_ports -j MARK --set-mark 1

The difference here is that it is needed to mark both the sending and the receiving packets to bypass the VPN otherwise you could receive the packets, but sending them to the correct location would fail. I have copied my script below. It runs after the VPN connection gets established. I also changed the IP range and Ports to random/default ones.

Code:
## CUSTOMIZE YOUR SCRIPT VARIABLES
#
## Uncomment and set value(s) as needed to customize your rules
#
# IP addresses, contiguous range AND/OR individual.
#
ip_addrs_lst="192.168.1.1-192.168.1.50"

##Server ports to bypass VPN
server_ports="3389,27,23045"

#
# Specific destination websites ip range - Spotify , Netflix...
#
#web_range_lst="72.44.32.1-72.44.63.254
#67.202.0.1-67.202.63.254
#207.223.0.1-207.223.15.254
#98.207.0.1-98.207.255.254
#208.85.40.1-208.85.47.254
#78.31.8.1-78.31.15.254
#193.182.8.1-193.182.15.254"

########################################
# NO NEED TO CHANGE BELOW THIS LINE #
########################################

# SHELL COMMANDS FOR MAINTENANCE.
# DO NOT UNCOMMENT, THESE ARE INTENDED TO BE USED IN A SHELL COMMAND LINE
#
#  List Contents by line number
# iptables -L PREROUTING -t mangle -n --line-numbers
#
#  Delete rules from mangle by line number
# iptables -D PREROUTING type-line-number-here -t mangle
#
#  To list the current rules on the router, issue the command:
#     iptables -t mangle -L PREROUTING
#
#  Flush/reset all the rules to default by issuing the command:
#     iptables -t mangle -F PREROUTING
sleep 1
#
# First it is necessary to disable Reverse Path Filtering on all
# current and future network interfaces:
#
for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter ; do
  echo 0 > $i
done

#
# Delete table 100 and flush any existing rules if they exist.
#
ip route flush table 100
ip route del default table 100
ip rule del fwmark 1 table 100
ip route flush cache
iptables -t mangle -F PREROUTING

#
# Let's find out the tunnel interface
#
iface_lst=`route | awk ' {print $8}'`
for tun_if in $iface_lst; do
    if [ $tun_if == "tun11" ] || [ $tun_if == "tun12" ] || [ $tun_if == "ppp0" ]; then
    break
  fi
done

#
# Copy all non-default and non-VPN related routes from the main table into table 100.
# Then configure table 100 to route all traffic out the WAN gateway and assign it mark "1"
#
ip route show table main | grep -Ev ^default | grep -Ev $tun_if \
  | while read ROUTE ; do
     ip route add table 100 $ROUTE
done
ip route add default table 100 via $(nvram get wan0_gateway)
ip rule add fwmark 1 table 100
ip route flush cache

# EXAMPLES:
#
#  All LAN traffic will bypass the VPN (Useful to put this rule first,
#  so all traffic bypasses the VPN and you can configure exceptions afterwards)
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -j MARK --set-mark 1
#
#  Ports 80 and 443 will bypass the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp -m multiport --dport 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark 1
#
#  All traffic from a particular computer on the LAN will use the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --src-range 192.168.1.2 -j MARK --set-mark 0
#
#  All traffic to a specific Internet IP address will use the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --dst-range 216.146.38.70 -j MARK --set-mark 0
#
#  All UDP and ICMP traffic will bypass the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp -j MARK --set-mark 1
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p icmp -j MARK --set-mark 1

# Default behavior: MARK = 1 all traffic bypasses VPN, MARK = 0 all traffic goes VPN
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -j MARK --set-mark 1

# IP_ADDRESSES - RANGE(S) AND/OR INDIVIDUAL(S)
for ip_addrs in $ip_addrs_lst ; do
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --src-range $ip_addrs -j MARK --set-mark 0
done

######Ports that bypass VPN #######

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp -m multiport --dport $server_ports -j MARK --set-mark 1
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp -m multiport --sport $server_ports -j MARK --set-mark 1

# WEBSITES_IP_RANGES -
for web_dst_range in $web_range_lst ; do
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --dst-range $web_dst_range -j MARK --set-mark 0
done

Guys, I need some help from some the more knowledgeable people here. For some reason this firmware increases my latency by almost double? Is this a normal thing?

http://i.imgur.com/roeBUA9.jpg

The only thing I've tweaked is changing the offload to TCP/UDP for both LAN/WLAN, changing the wireless channels to US, and settings the public Google DNS under WAN settings. The test was carried out both using Ethernet to a desktop PC.

Running 3.4.3.8-085 on N56U.

Please help and thanks for reading.

Edit: Just updated to 3.4.3.9-091_base.trx and still same problem.

Last edited:
That is a bit of a difference! have you tried doing a factory wipe? Or updating to the newest firmware?

Yeah, sorry I put a edit in last minute you might of not of caught. Updated to the latest 3.4.3.9-091 base from padvan and still same problem. And I just literally finished downgrading to the manufactures latest bios directly from asus website and my pings are again normal. So it was definitely padavans firmware! The odd thing is, web surfing was much faster on padavans, but I don't think I can sacrifice such huge ping difference. Is there anything that would cause such a huge difference in pings?