What's new

Patch panel and nest router setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

farshadatis

New Around Here
We moved to new home and trying to add my nest wifi router here, there is a patch panel that has a switch, I am trying to use wired network in some of the rooms and as well is wireless by adding nest wifi router, but the panel is way back on corner of the house and can't put my nest router in there.

Right now I have to use another router inside patch panel and then nest router connects to one of the wired connections in our living room, it is working but basically other wired connections are in another network and can't see wireless devices.

As you can see in this picture, the white cable is coming from ONT and connected to switch.

Should I put nest router before switch here or there is another way to solve it without adding it there?

Thanks

can the nest function correctly in AP mode instead of router mode ?
That would solve the two different subnet issue.

Do you have 2 ethernet cables going to the location where you want to place the nest router ?

physically, the nest router WAN port needs to be connected to the ONT cable before the switch distributes the lan if you want all on the same subnet. So if you have two cables, just use a GHz rated ethernet coupler to connect the ont cable to one and connect the other end to the wan port. Then, connect the other cable to a lan port on the router. The other end of that cable connects to the switch.

otherwise, move the router is the simple solution.
If you had a coax run instead, you could use a pair of gocoax moca2.5 modems to extend the ont cable to the room where the router is located and use one ethernet cable as above to get back to the switch.

i have a pair of the gocoax moca modems extending the ont cable to my router in another section of the house. Works great with full GBit isp service with no bandwidth loss.

Last edited:
can the nest function correctly in AP mode instead of router mode ?
That would solve the two different subnet issue.

Do you have 2 ethernet cables going to the location where you want to place the nest router ?

physically, the nest router WAN port needs to be connected to the ONT cable before the switch distributes the lan if you want all on the same subnet. So if you have two cables, just use a GHz rated ethernet coupler to connect the ont cable to one and connect the other end to the wan port. Then, connect the other cable to a lan port on the router. The other end of that cable connects to the switch.

otherwise, move the router is the simple solution.
If you had a coax run instead, you could use a pair of gocoax moca2.5 modems to extend the ont cable to the room where the router is located and use one ethernet cable as above to get back to the switch.

i have a pair of the gocoax moca modems extending the ont cable to my router in another section of the house. Works great with full GBit isp service with no bandwidth loss.
Thanks didn't know about that, will do some research :)

We moved to new home and trying to add my nest wifi router here, there is a patch panel that has a switch, I am trying to use wired network in some of the rooms and as well is wireless by adding nest wifi router, but the panel is way back on corner of the house and can't put my nest router in there.
Is the reason you can’t put your nest router in there the size of the enclosure? If you want to keep nest, the easiest way is to replace that enclosure, assuming you have the space. I had a friend who replaced that style enclosure with a network rack cabinet. He cut away around the enclosure so he wouldn’t have to redo all of the cabling.

It was a lot of work, but the new enclosure was neater and was able to store all of his equipment using standard shelves. He had enough cable management to make it beater as well.

mid you can’t / don’t want to replace the enclosure, the next easiest thing is to replace the nest. I believe Nest Wifi in ap mode only works when it is a single node, so you couldn’t have multiple aps in the house once you make the switch. It might make sense to switch away from nest anyway as there are better systems if you have dedicated Ethernet backhaul in your house to place multiple Aps. But to me you lose a lot of the reason for having a nest of you are using just one node.

Just a small note. The "patch panel", if you want to call it that, is really only being used for your phone lines from the looks of it. The Ethernet wiring shown just routes to the sane location, but the connections are left entirely up to you, so it is very misleading unless someone actually looks at the picture.

Basically, you are starting from scratch and can connect or reroute the wires any way you want. For example, you could place your router at any endpoint and directly connect the white wire with that endpoint. Ideally, you would be able to access a second wire to connect back to the home run location, but hopefully you see my point. All you have really are a bunch of wires that terminate in one location.

If you use a Nest router in bridge mode, you can only use one unit. I would put one near your panel and then use others throughout the home where you can wire the backhaul. As stated above, you can use MoCA to put wired network in more places. I have a modem going into my Nest router, it going into a switch, MoCA coming out of switch, then two more Nest routers in home on switches connected to MoCA. They automatically switched to wired backhaul, and I pull north of 800Mbps consistently. Sometimes I’m knocking on the door of 900Mbps. I’m about to blow the whole thing up with a CAX80 in search of speeds over gigabit, but that’s a different story.