What's new

Replacing (or reusing?) Google Nest WiFi system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnyT

New Around Here
Hi,

I bought a Google Nest package about 3 years ago (Router and two Nest Speakers/Points). All was good until last week when I purchased another pack to add smart speakers and extend the range throughout house. Installed the new nodes on Monday and the next day the wifi network became unstable with drop-outs every 10 minutes or so. All forums suggest cutting my losses and replacing because there are no self-help fixes for google wifi. I suspect the new nodes install triggered a firmware upgrade and destablised the whole shebang - but am losing the will on this one.

Now looking to replace core mesh network with either deco 20 or deco 55 or Asus XT-8. Can i still use the Google smart speakers with a replacement?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @JohnyT.

My guess is no.

Installed the new nodes on Monday and the next day the wifi network became unstable with drop-outs every 10 minutes or so. All forums suggest cutting my losses and replacing because there are no self-help fixes for google wifi. I suspect the new nodes install triggered a firmware upgrade and destablised the whole shebang - but am losing the will on this one.

I've had a Google Nest Wifi setup for testing some time back with the Router (WiFi 5) and a couple of Nest Points, along with Nest Hub, two Cameras (Battery) and the Door Bell...

If looking for addtional audio end points, better to use Nest Mini's or Nest Audio speakers, as these are WiFi clients, but not Mesh Points/Speakers...

Like most mesh networks, one can have too many nodes hanging out there, and they do start to interfere with each other. A Router and a single Nest Point will absolutely light up around 3500 sq ft, and adding one more is around 5400 sq ft.

Adding a Nest Point to an existing mesh setup, it's best to reset and remove all the nest points, and then add them back in.

It'll take a couple of days for the mesh to settle down and start working properly...

Goes without saying that managing things needs to be in the Google Home App (android and/or ios) and only have one controller.

As a result of the whole Google-Sonos lawsuit, Google did push out updates back in mid-Oct 2023 to re-enable the speaker grouping, so yes, updates are out there for most Nest WiFi and Speakers, along with the Home Hubs...