What's new

PC with two lan ports each having specific traffic rule

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whitestar999

Occasional Visitor
I have a desktop with pci-e ethernet card so two 1gbps ethernet ports. I currently have my PC & NAS connected to wifi router & each having static ip address set in ipv4 settings. I want to connect my pc directly to NAS via second ethernet port on pcie card while 1st ethernet port will remain connected to wifi router. In this setup I want the traffic to/from NAS to go only via the second ethernet port while all other traffic(incl internet) to go via the first/primary ethernet post as it currently does. I have looked into static routes & from what I understood, I would have to manually set a different ip & gateway on second ethernet port & nas(say desktop 2nd ethernet port 10.10.1.100 & nas 10.10.1.101 with default gateway 10.10.1.0 & subnet 255.255.255.0) & then add a static route to pc windows table like this:
route add 10.10.1.101 mask 255.255.255.0 10.10.1.0

Is the above correct or the best way to achieve it or can I do better?