1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Pce-86ac or 88ac adapter

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Furieus, May 20, 2019.

1. Furieus

Furieus New Around Here

So my room mate has cox gigablast, and with it the Technicolor CMG4141 modem. If I read it right it has built in 3x3 mimo antennas.

The modem is stationed at the opposite end of the house, and is a good 50ft from my PC.

Would I see any extra benefit with the 88ac adapter? I understand it's up to 2100mbps but could it theoretically be seen between the adapter and the modem? Or should I save $20 and go with the 86ac and match the 3x3 mimo antennas?

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Nothing will connect at their theoretical speeds at that distance and the expected walls and other obstructions. ;)

While matching the antennae streams will be beneficial, I would be considering something like an RT-AC56U in Media Bridge mode instead. :)

Just as stable if not more so, IME.

3. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

AFAIK mimo can work faster only on short distances, so its good whatever you take 50ft away with one ore more walls.
    2.4G w/o MiMo will probably be faster than 5G.