What's new

Performance issues on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Srinivasan Ramamurthy

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

Please help! I have a RT-AX88U as my main router. Using AiMesh, I have my RT-AC88U as an AiNode. Both running the latest Merlin firmware as of today (01-Apr-2021).
There are 2 issues I'm facing:
  1. OpenVPN Performance Issues:
    1. Up until now, I had a 100 MBPS connection and using ExpressVPN, I had configured my OpenVPN and was getting a very cool 90 to 95 MBPS when connected to VPN via OpenVPN.
    2. I recently changed my ISP and now I have a 300 MBPS connection. By default I can see that I'm getting anywhere between 335 to 370 MBPS (without VPN).
    3. But the moment I connect to my OpenVPN, it drops to a max of 135~ MBPS. Why isn't it giving me atleast 80% to 90% of what my original speed is?
    4. I had purchased this AX88U under the impression that when my internet speeds increase, it'll still be able to handle the higher speeds. This comes as a shocker to me.
    5. What can I do to improve this?
  2. AiNode Performance issues:
    1. My main router (AX88U) is connected via Ethernet to my AiNode (AC88U). But note that this ethernet connection is using TP-Link's Powerline Adapter (9020P model, supposed to be top of the line).
    2. Advertised speed is 2000 MPBS.
    3. But using the tplink utility I see that it hovers around 400 to 500 MBPS between my 2 routers.
    4. But when I am connected to my AiNode (AC88U) and I use speedtest to check the speeds, I only get around 135 MBPS & this is without using OpenVPN client.
Not sure what's wrong or what I can do. Tried doing a factory reset. Kept QOS disabled. None of these helped either.
Please help how I can improve my speeds, especially with Point #1 above - OpenVPN Performance issues.

FYI - Just upgraded both my routers half an hour back to Merlin firmware 386.2.

Still no luck.

Hello All,

Please help! I have a RT-AX88U as my main router. Using AiMesh, I have my RT-AC88U as an AiNode. Both running the latest Merlin firmware as of today (01-Apr-2021).
There are 2 issues I'm facing:
  1. OpenVPN Performance Issues:
    1. Up until now, I had a 100 MBPS connection and using ExpressVPN, I had configured my OpenVPN and was getting a very cool 90 to 95 MBPS when connected to VPN via OpenVPN.
    2. I recently changed my ISP and now I have a 300 MBPS connection. By default I can see that I'm getting anywhere between 335 to 370 MBPS (without VPN).
    3. But the moment I connect to my OpenVPN, it drops to a max of 135~ MBPS. Why isn't it giving me atleast 80% to 90% of what my original speed is?
    4. I had purchased this AX88U under the impression that when my internet speeds increase, it'll still be able to handle the higher speeds. This comes as a shocker to me.
    5. What can I do to improve this?
  2. AiNode Performance issues:
    1. My main router (AX88U) is connected via Ethernet to my AiNode (AC88U). But note that this ethernet connection is using TP-Link's Powerline Adapter (9020P model, supposed to be top of the line).
    2. Advertised speed is 2000 MPBS.
    3. But using the tplink utility I see that it hovers around 400 to 500 MBPS between my 2 routers.
    4. But when I am connected to my AiNode (AC88U) and I use speedtest to check the speeds, I only get around 135 MBPS & this is without using OpenVPN client.
Not sure what's wrong or what I can do. Tried doing a factory reset. Kept QOS disabled. None of these helped either.
Please help how I can improve my speeds, especially with Point #1 above - OpenVPN Performance issues.
I also have an AX88U and use OpenVPN, but my provider is Private Internet Access (PIA).

1. OpenVPN performance issues - it sounds to me that the server you are connecting to may not be able to provide anymore bandwidth past 135. Are you able to connect to a different server from Express? You can test different servers to see if they offer greater speeds. For reference, I'm on a 250MBps connection, and am able to get 250 from the PIA server I use, but other PIA servers are far slower.

2. AiNode Performance issue - your issue is using the Powerline adapter. All of them are notorious for underperforming advertised speed claims, by a lot. The 135 you are getting actually sounds pretty good. If possible, I'd do wireless backhaul before powerline, you'll get better results. Ideal would be to run a LAN cable, or use DOCSIS if you have coax cable nearby.

Good luck!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!