What's new

Performance issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

j1mb0

Occasional Visitor
Whenever I change a setting in the router, I have to restart the router several times to get back on the Internet. Sometimes the router does not automatically assign an IP address and my RAM is always between 80%-90% occupied.
What could be the reason?

I'm thinking about changing back to Tomato, because it's more performant and I've never had as many problems as with merlin.

What router,what firmware version?

Have you reset the router as required when you changed from stock to Merlin?

ASUS RT-AC3200 and I have the latest Merlin Firmware.

Yes of course.
Skip looking at the RAM usage. This is normal and the router handles it.
For the WAN IP address, try switching 'DHCP query frequency' to normal in WAN settings.
Don't give up on Asuswrt-Merlin so quickly. This is likely the most updated and secure firmware you can get for any router firmware out there.

Skip looking at the RAM usage. This is normal and the router handles it.
For the WAN IP address, try switching 'DHCP query frequency' to normal in WAN settings.
Don't give up on Asuswrt-Merlin so quickly. This is likely the most updated and secure firmware you can get for any router firmware out there.

it is also still very annoying when the cpu is fully used, then I also have a lower bandwidth and the media server crashes, too.

once i connect to the vpn and don't have any policy rules set, it works. Once I set policy rules, the server name cannot be resolved.

It's certainly safe, but if I have Skynet installed, then I also have a lower bandwidth,

ASUS RT-AC3200 and I have the latest Merlin Firmware.

Yes of course.

What is the 'latest firmware' you have installed?

Did you use a saved backup config file after you reset it?

Did you format the jffs partition? Erase the NVRAM?

Your router is not working normally, at all. I would not say it is in a good/known state.

A full reset to factory defaults, completing an NVRAM erase, formatting the jffs partition and flashing the latest stable RMerlin firmware (currently 384.10_2) is recommended.

Followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Do not use a saved backup config file afterward.

All of the random issues you list are not normally reported. And certainly not all together.

Skynet has never caused me to have lower bandwidth, and constant CPU usage is also a sign of a router that is not properly set up either.

What is the 'latest firmware' you have installed?

RMerlin v384.10_2

Did you use a saved backup config file after you reset it?

Did you format the jffs partition? Erase the NVRAM?

Yes

Skynet has never caused me to have lower bandwidth, and constant CPU usage is also a sign of a router that is not properly set up either.

If there would be a detailed logging function, then I would like to show it to you as well

RMerlin v384.10_2

Yes

If there would be a detailed logging function, then I would like to show it to you as well

Your answer is not very communicative. :)

I am reading it as 'you used a saved backup file after you reset it'. This is more than likely the cause of your issues.

Do a proper reset to factory defaults and only minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

Please see the link in my signature for further help and details on how to do that.

Your answer is not very communicative. :)

I am reading it as 'you used a saved backup file after you reset it'. This is more than likely the cause of your issues.

Do a proper reset to factory defaults and only minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

Please see the link in my signature for further help and details on how to do that.

sorry, but I did a speedtest before installing skynet and after the installation as well. I have a bandwidth of 1000mbps and only have ~335mbps after installing skynet.

sorry, but I did a speedtest before installing skynet and after the installation as well. I have a bandwidth of 1000mbps and only have ~335mbps after installing skynet.

That by itself is why I doubt that your router is in a good/known state. :)

I don't have that issue myself and I can't think of another single post which states that either.

Get your router properly reset and minimally and manually configured and if any troubleshooting is still needed, it can then be methodical and effective. Right now? The issues you're having are not reproducible for the vast majority of members here.

That by itself is why I doubt that your router is in a good/known state. :)

I don't have that issue myself and I can't think of another single post which states that either.

Get your router properly reset and minimally and manually configured and if any troubleshooting is still needed, it can then be methodical and effective. Right now? The issues you're having are not reproducible for the vast majority of members here.

Thanks for all the tips. The bug was the unformatted jffs partition! I want to thank you again for the good support in the community, the ASUS-Merlin firmware now runs better than Freshtomato!