What's new

Performance of dual AX86U in AiMesh, on Merlin 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just posted this morning with a similar set of issues-- my troubleshooting not quite as beautifully documented as yours! But I noticed that after upgrading to the release (386.1_2) there was a big drop in speed on my gigabit LAN, from 900/50 at the modem to around 500/50 at the router and nodes. 384.19 firmware (which I reinstalled and then removed again, for testing purposes) does not cause these speed drops-- but for other reasons is not nearly as good!

Edit: main router RT-AC86U, nodes: RT-AC68U and RT-AC66U_B1, both wired backhaul

Thanks @shelleyevans that's really nice of you. So you're experiencing these drops on Lan only as well? In that case it may just be a software issue, that Merlin will be fixing no doubt in a future release. Do you have the same hunch?
Oh this is a tough decision on deciding whether to return the AX11000 or the two AX86Us. Especially with Merlin coming to the AX11000.

Take a look at this throughput testing I ran (didn't complete everything but it still tells a story). All wireless of course. Which isn't where the problem for the aimesh setup is.

1614532887299.png

'Exact same cables' are plausibly the issue here. Compatibility between devices built many years apart (or not) isn't a given.

I would be testing two new RT-AX86U's today. And I would be ordering a new/different brands Ethernet cable(s) to test with too (from at least two different manufacturers) that is also different from what you have already in your home.

The Wi-Fi speeds you're posting with the 2x RT-AX86U setup leave the GT-AX11000 with much to be desired. :)

Curious what you'll decide and how you'll proceed from here. Keep us posted on your progress.

I would also be testing the GT-AX11000 with the RMerlin firmware already available too.

Test builds - OneDrive (live.com)

Thanks @L&LD , it seems the lag has disappeared. I reconnected the AX86U and they are functional without noticeable lag compared to before. Must have been an external factor that coincided with my installation of the two AX86U. However, the GT was still a bit snappier and there is a bit more buffering with the AX86U, but only wired and it's not as bad as before. I also throughput tested the downstairs bathroom and the AX86U came out on top.
A weird advantage that the GT has though is right outside our home (which is becoming important since I'll be putting a ring video doorbell pro there).
GT: 2.4ghz (112/42), 5ghz (397/51)
AX86U: 2.4ghz (73/18), 5ghz (220/52)

Other than that, overall it seems like the AX86U has the advantage. Thoughts? @shelleyevans what do you think?

Also @L&LD you're saying I should exchange both AX86U and get new ones to test? I have to make a decision today in the next 3 hours lol

1614537922758.png

As I look at these numbers, I see that our issues are actually different— I experience lag at the router which then translates into lag on both the wired and wireless mesh connections/nodes. Your WIFI mesh numbers get quite high, which mine don’t. I am NOT experienced in all this, just someone with a problem in search of an explanation— for wise insights, stick with L&LD and others

And, yes, I think the mesh has huge advantages. I am keeping mine, even with the reduced speeds, as they are fast enough, given my internet service, and there is such good WiFi coverage and stability overall. I am looking for IoT devices that don’t get dropped, family that doesn’t complain, and easy management. AiMesh seems to deliver that. I only think about speed when I am setting up the network and doing speed tests.

Thanks @shelleyevans and @L&LD . Great advice from both of you. Decided to keep the dual AX86U and it came down to futureproofing and also aesthetic considerations (AX11000 has a huge footprint and would stick out like a sore thumb). If Merlin makes the GT even more of a beast, I might feel slight regret, but in the end both systems meet our needs and I'm sure the new firmware will bring improvements to the AX86U as well.