What's new

Periodic Rebooting RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Is it healthy to reboot every week or so, even given the tendency of the RT-AC86U to shut off occasionally? I searched here but didn't find anything conclusive.

It does seem to help to clean it up and start over, and sometimes is the only way to fix something.

What say ye?

As a habit? No.

As a temporary method to keep the network running? Yes.

Ideally, if it is needed, the fix is not to regularly reboot. Find the core issues instead.

Is it healthy to reboot every week or so, even given the tendency of the RT-AC86U to shut off occasionally?

If your AC86U randomly shuts down, then it sounds like there's a fault somewhere. My 2017 model has never shut down of its own accord and has always remained powered up, unless I switch it off myself or a power cut was to occur.

If your AC86U randomly shuts down, then it sounds like there's a fault somewhere. My 2017 model has never shut down of its own accord and has always remained powered up, unless I switch it off myself or a power cut was to occur.
Mine has, and I am not alone. There is a thread several pages long of others that have also, but you probably can't reply to it, they cut that out. At leaast they are there to read.
I am told it is a defect in the 86U.

It doesn't shut down randomly, just shuts off during reboot on occasion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!