What's new

PFSense - Guest Wi-Fi without VLAN's ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

I wonder if I can have a Guest Wi-Fi without VLAN's in PFSense ? When I was looking for a router online I came across the ones that have a guest feature which separates guests from the main network. This is usually done by few clicks in the router web interface by setting up a separate SSID for guests. Wouldn't be there AP's which offer similar functionality ? I tried to find one but I couldn't find any.

Many Wifi routers that offer a guest feature actually use VLANs in the background. You just don't see it. There are some that just use isolation. There are AP's that offer similar isolation. They have nothing to do with the router you use (so nothing to do with pfSense). Anyway the only one I know of and have had experience with are the Ubiquiti AP's. They can do guest isolation without VLANs.

what I can think of creating a guest network in pfsense without using vlans, is using an additional network interface card in the pfsense box and connect an access point to it. then you can use pfsense fw rules to allow/disallow/control what guest clients can do.

I myself use pfsense in combination with ubiquity ap's, using the multi ssid option of the ap combined with vlans, and pfsense to control what the guests vlan can (not) do

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Hi,

I wonder if I can have a Guest Wi-Fi without VLAN's in PFSense ? When I was looking for a router online I came across the ones that have a guest feature which separates guests from the main network. This is usually done by few clicks in the router web interface by setting up a separate SSID for guests. Wouldn't be there AP's which offer similar functionality ? I tried to find one but I couldn't find any.

Create a dedicated VLAN for the Guest network - and have AP's that support SSID to VLAN mapping

The consumer off the shelf routers actual set up a VLAN in the background and map the Guest WLAN SSID to that VLAN