1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

PFSense - Guest Wi-Fi without VLAN's ?

Discussion in 'Routers' started by Green_Goblin, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Green_Goblin

Green_Goblin New Around Here

hhh

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. abailey

abailey Very Senior Member

Many Wifi routers that offer a guest feature actually use VLANs in the background. You just don't see it. There are some that just use isolation. There are AP's that offer similar isolation. They have nothing to do with the router you use (so nothing to do with pfSense). Anyway the only one I know of and have had experience with are the Ubiquiti AP's. They can do guest isolation without VLANs.

3. HeMaN

HeMaN Regular Contributor

what I can think of creating a guest network in pfsense without using vlans, is using an additional network interface card in the pfsense box and connect an access point to it. then you can use pfsense fw rules to allow/disallow/control what guest clients can do.

I myself use pfsense in combination with ubiquity ap's, using the multi ssid option of the ap combined with vlans, and pfsense to control what the guests vlan can (not) do

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Create a dedicated VLAN for the Guest network - and have AP's that support SSID to VLAN mapping

The consumer off the shelf routers actual set up a VLAN in the background and map the Guest WLAN SSID to that VLAN