What's new

Ping issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rylo

New Around Here
Recently been having a lot of issues with my ax11000 pro, after I uploaded the newest firmware it seems like the router did a complete 360 went from working flawlessly to seemingly barely being able to function. I never had any sort of ping issue on any other router or even before I updated. I have Downgraded factory reset and the issue still is persistent and when I use just my isp modem it works flawlessly.

I have 2 fire sticks, 2 phones, and a ps5 connected to it.

No settings have been changed.

replaced all Ethernet cables and had a fresh fiber cable replaced as I thought that was the issue. Didn't help at all.

Gaming is practically unplayable, stutters and skips every 4-5 seconds consistently and when something is changed on the fire sticks I begin to rubber band.

I pay for 8gig up and down from bell and I get around 4 gig download and 2 gig upload on the Asus itself.

Is there any sort of fix or help or should I look into a replacement possibly?

Attachments

• IMG_8895.jpeg
    IMG_8895.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8894.jpeg
    IMG_8894.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8893.jpeg
    IMG_8893.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 32
Recently been having a lot of issues with my ax11000 pro, after I uploaded the newest firmware it seems like the router did a complete 360 went from working flawlessly to seemingly barely being able to function. I never had any sort of ping issue on any other router or even before I updated. I have Downgraded factory reset and the issue still is persistent and when I use just my isp modem it works flawlessly.

I have 2 fire sticks, 2 phones, and a ps5 connected to it.

No settings have been changed.

replaced all Ethernet cables and had a fresh fiber cable replaced as I thought that was the issue. Didn't help at all.

Gaming is practically unplayable, stutters and skips every 4-5 seconds consistently and when something is changed on the fire sticks I begin to rubber band.

I pay for 8gig up and down from bell and I get around 4 gig download and 2 gig upload on the Asus itself.

Is there any sort of fix or help or should I look into a replacement possibly?

Is the PS5 hardwired? Trying to determine if we're talking wifi issue or wired.

For factory reset did you do the "hard reset" procedure? That followed by a GUI reset with initialize settings checked can get you totally back to factory state.

However what you're describing reminds me of other similar issues where the upgrade and reset caused someone to get a new IP that had a terrible routing path through the ISP network. If you traceroute to something like Google or Microsoft, does your trace seem to go in a nonsensical place, like a city very far away and then back? What is the latency on the hops?

Easiest way to try and resolve that is clone a LAN MAC to your WAN and hope the new IP you get isn't from the same subnet. Can try several times with several MACs.

Is the PS5 hardwired? Trying to determine if we're talking wifi issue or wired.

For factory reset did you do the "hard reset" procedure? That followed by a GUI reset with initialize settings checked can get you totally back to factory state.

However what you're describing reminds me of other similar issues where the upgrade and reset caused someone to get a new IP that had a terrible routing path through the ISP network. If you traceroute to something like Google or Microsoft, does your trace seem to go in a nonsensical place, like a city very far away and then back? What is the latency on the hops?

Easiest way to try and resolve that is clone a LAN MAC to your WAN and hope the new IP you get isn't from the same subnet. Can try several times with several MACs.
PS5 is hardwired with cat 6.

It's just a very odd issue as speeds on my modem and the router itself does not seem to be changed or any sort of issue there but the quality of the internet when being used just does not match the speeds that I'm getting.

I did a factory reset by holding the button in with a paper clip for 10 seconds. I have no knowledge about how to "hard reset" or how to proceed with gui reset and initialize settings, after reading a few post about people also having the same type of issues after a upgrade and doing those 2 things that you said seemed to get their things back to normal so I might start there.

Along with ips and trace routes, with bell I have to use pppoe so I get a wan ip directly from them with locations usually around the Toronto area where I'm located. and it usually changes after a few days or a restart, I know about trace routes and what not but not to sure exactly how to run them.

Adding onto cloning Mac's and so fourth is probably far ahead of what my head could wrap around lol

But I'm going to look into the resets as you mentioned as I said I've seen a few post where those have helped others situate their issues.

PS5 is hardwired with cat 6.

It's just a very odd issue as speeds on my modem and the router itself does not seem to be changed or any sort of issue there but the quality of the internet when being used just does not match the speeds that I'm getting.

I did a factory reset by holding the button in with a paper clip for 10 seconds. I have no knowledge about how to "hard reset" or how to proceed with gui reset and initialize settings, after reading a few post about people also having the same type of issues after a upgrade and doing those 2 things that you said seemed to get their things back to normal so I might start there.

Along with ips and trace routes, with bell I have to use pppoe so I get a wan ip directly from them with locations usually around the Toronto area where I'm located. and it usually changes after a few days or a restart, I know about trace routes and what not but not to sure exactly how to run them.

Adding onto cloning Mac's and so fourth is probably far ahead of what my head could wrap around lol

But I'm going to look into the resets as you mentioned as I said I've seen a few post where those have helped others situate their issues.

Reset button with paperclip is no good. Google asus hard factory reset and it will bring up a list of routers and the procedure for each. Then there is one you can do via the GUI after that telling it to initialize all settings (you'll need to do a basic config to get in and do that).

However I'm not sure what you mean by "quality of the internet" not matching the speeds you're getting. You really need to figure out if this is a latency issue, packet loss, etc.

If you are running PPPoE, it could be as simple as you need to change your WAN MTU from 1500 to 1492 (though I think that is now the default in asus firmware for PPPoE). Worth double checking. Maybe it needs to be even lower than that, do you remember having to tweak it in the past?

Yes your ISP assigns an IP directly, but sometimes it comes from a pool of IPs that is not optimally routed or has some other issue. Cloning your MAC is easy, done right in the router GUI and you just pick any LAN device from the dropdown, apply it and restart the modem and router. But not a whole lot of sense in doing that unless you determine that it is in fact some sort of latency issue with your IP.

Traceroute you can run from network tools in the router GUI, or from a PC (PC is just "tracert google.com" from a command prompt). Mac I'm not sure, it is probably "traceroute" like linux but not positive. Usually several of the hops will have a city name or airport code on them and you can get an idea of what path your route is taking, and it will show the latency for each hop.