What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Great add-on, unless something is wrong with my setup or the add-on doesn't work right, it's amazing how many sites are still not secured by DNSSEC. None of my banks use it.

DNS in general has been working reliably well for many years. Perhaps that's why people do not see the urge adding DNSSEC.

Found another reason why I had troubles experimenting with TLS 1.3 on macOS:

If AdGuard is enabled www.cloudflare.com will communicate via TLS 1.2 instead of 1.3...

With blacklisted domains in DNS servers, you don't need that many add-ons (uBlock Origin, AdGuard and what else..?) duplicating the same effort.

I have uBlock Origin but only for cosmetic fix-up on a few sites that I visit regularly. Personally I care less about layout or even adverts on sites that I visit, say, once every few weeks or less.

With blacklisted domains in DNS servers, you don't need that many add-ons (uBlock Origin, AdGuard and what else..?) duplicating the same effort.
Yes; I started with uBlock origin (on Windows) and AdGuard (on macOS), but now that I have Diversion/pixelserv-tls I might need to reconsider my setup.

OK I have an issue with pixelserv and these forums. When installed and running these forums or slow and unresponsive. Task manager shows high CPU usage when I'm on these forums.
I installed the cert for pixelserv.
I installed AMTM added swap file then installed Diversion, Diversion installs entware and pixelserv, go back to AMTM to update Pixelserv to 2.2.0 "static" version.
I increased the pixelserv -c from 100 to 500, thinking that more cache would help. it did not.

Any ideas?

Oh i also tested diversion lite (No pixelserv) and it works fine on these forums so I'm assuming its Pixelserv that's causing my issues.

Oh thought I'd add my pixelserv stats.

Code:
pixelserv-tls 2.2.0 (compiled: Oct 9 2018 10:35:46 flags: tls1_3) options: 192.168.1.2 -c 500

uts    1d 17:39    process uptime
log    1    critical (0) error (1) warning (2) notice (3) info (4) debug (5)
kcc    21    number of active service threads
kmx    57    maximum number of service threads
kvg    8.94    average number of requests per service thread
krq    1075    max number of requests by one service thread
req    20701    total # of requests (HTTP, HTTPS, success, failure etc)
avg    1203 bytes    average size of requests
rmx    18454 bytes    largest size of request(s)
tav    2 ms    average processing time (per request)
tmx    2174 ms    longest processing time (per request)
slh    11999    # of accepted HTTPS requests
slm    351    # of rejected HTTPS requests (missing certificate)
sle    0    # of rejected HTTPS requests (certificate available but not usable)
slc    3021    # of dropped HTTPS requests (client disconnect without sending any request)
slu    5129    # of dropped HTTPS requests (other TLS handshake errors)
v13    0    slh/slc break-down: TLS 1.3
v12    12021    slh/slc break-down: TLS 1.2
v10    48    slh/slc break-down: TLS 1.0
uca    0    slu break-down: # of unknown CA reported by clients
ucb    0    slu break-down: # of bad certificate reported by clients
uce    11    slu break-down: # of unknown cert reported by clients
ush    67    slu break-down: # of shutdown by clients after ServerHello
sct    91    cert cache: # of certs in cache
sch    9220    cert cache: # of reuses of cached certs
scm    91    cert cache: # of misses to find a cert in cache
scp    0    cert cache: # of purges to give room for a new cert
sst    4    sess cache: # of cached TLS sessions (for older non-RFC5077 clients)
ssh    810    sess cache: # of reuses of cached TLS sessions
ssm    511    sess cache: # of misses to find a TLS session in cache
ssp    0    sess cache: # of purges to give room for a new TLS session
nfe    568    # of GET requests for server-side scripting
gif    7    # of GET requests for GIF
ico    1    # of GET requests for ICO
txt    6569    # of GET requests for Javascripts
jpg    0    # of GET requests for JPG
png    4    # of GET requests for PNG
swf    0    # of GET requests for SWF
sta    6    # of GET requests for HTML stats
stt    0    # of GET requests for plain text stats
ufe    75    # of GET requests /w unknown file extension
opt    185    # of OPTIONS requests
pst    1180    # of POST requests
hed    0    # of HEAD requests (HTTP 501 response)
rdr    2734    # of GET requests resulted in REDIRECT response
nou    0    # of GET requests /w empty URL
pth    2    # of GET requests /w malformed URL
204    0    # of GET requests (HTTP 204 response)
bad    48    # of unknown HTTP requests (HTTP 501 response)
tmo    90    # of timeout requests (client connect w/o sending a request in 'select_timeout' secs)
cls    3068    # of dropped requests (client disconnect without sending any request)
cly    685    # of dropped requests (client disconnect before response sent)
clt    0    # of dropped requests (reached maximum service threads)
err    0    # of dropped requests (unknown reason)

Your TLS 1.3 break down is 0

When are you going to upgrade your browser to a newer version that supports it?

Any ideas?

Oh i also tested diversion lite (No pixelserv) and it works fine on these forums so I'm assuming its Pixelserv that's causing my issues.

This issue has been raised by a few people in this and other threads. I answered a few times before. If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see the latest. If you scroll back a month or two, you should see another one.

In a nutshell, the issue is not caused by pixelserv-tls.

You've a few choices. To name two: 1) try to clear browser cache and pray for the issue goes away. 2) try to clear the browser cache and stay away from this forum for a few days. Good for mental health and it seemingly does resolve the problem on its own. :)

When are you going to upgrade your browser to a newer version that supports it?

More and more browsers support TLS 1.3 final indeed. Including today's iOS 12.1 release. Support for Safari & Chrome (v70) appear relying on iOS that requires an Apple Profile to enable unfortunately.

I have cleared cache, a few times. Upgraded Chrome to beta and enabled TLS 1.3 in it.
can't seem to get it to "fix"

I have cleared cache, a few times. Upgraded Chrome to beta and enabled TLS 1.3 in it.
can't seem to get it to "fix"

The non beta version of Chrome has support for it and no need to go with a beta release.

Last edited:
OK I have an issue with pixelserv and these forums. When installed and running these forums or slow and unresponsive. Task manager shows high CPU usage when I'm on these forums.
I installed the cert for pixelserv.
I installed AMTM added swap file then installed Diversion, Diversion installs entware and pixelserv, go back to AMTM to update Pixelserv to 2.2.0 "static" version.
I increased the pixelserv -c from 100 to 500, thinking that more cache would help. it did not.

Any ideas?

Check if you have AiCloud enabled or not. If enabled, that occupies IP 192.168.2.2. If there is a conflict in IP, then the requests are not reaching pixelserv at all. So you can try disabling AiCloud, then restart pixelserv from diversion and see if that solves your problem.

I have cleared cache, a few times. <.....> can't seem to get it to "fix"

Take a break from the forum then..it'll heal itself eventually.
Btw, your stats look far better than some as a starter that I've seen. It indicates a clean & neat LAN environment perhaps.

Take a break from the forum then..it'll heal itself eventually.
Btw, your stats look far better than some as a starter that I've seen. It indicates a clean & neat LAN environment perhaps.
I have 6 computers running on the network, wife, kids, unraid server, tablets , multi gaming systems.
And of course its mine that is having issues with Pixelserv. I started noticing that on my computer now has issues with windows updates and microsoft store when Pixelserv is active..

I may re install windows 10 this coming weekend if its dosn't heal itself by then.

I started noticing that on my computer now has issues with windows updates and microsoft store when Pixelserv is active..

Are you sure it's pixelserv-tls?

You can set log LEVEL to 4 and monitor what domains & URLs are blocked i.e. redirected to pixelserv-tls.

Code:
$ wget -qO - http://<pixelserv ip>/log=4
$ tail -f /tmp/syslog.log | grep pixelserv-tls | grep <windows pc IP>

Then try your windows update or browse windows store.

Usually when people are greedy in their blacklists, they get into weird issues. The above diagnosis could show you what domains should not have been blocked.

Are you sure it's pixelserv-tls?

You can set log LEVEL to 4 and monitor what domains & URLs are blocked i.e. redirected to pixelserv-tls.

Code:
$ wget -qO - http://<pixelserv ip>/log=4
$ tail -f /tmp/syslog.log | grep pixelserv-tls | grep <windows pc IP>

Then try your windows update or browse windows store.

Usually when people are greedy in their blacklists, they get into weird issues. The above diagnosis could show you what domains should not have been blocked.

My system runs fine when I disable Pixelserv, I didn't add anything to the blacklist, using the defaults.

I will try the set the log and see whats up.

My system runs fine when I disable Pixelserv, I didn't add anything to the blacklist, using the defaults.

Oh well..default greed, next choice more greed...then more greed. Last one is max greed. Non-trivial number of ppl on this forum don't know what they're doing or judge what they're getting.

Pls do keep me posted on the diagnosis. If it's a real issue from pixelserv-tls, it shall be an interesting one. And I can't wait to see..

Healing on its own is applicable to what you initialised reported and regarding the funky "slowness" and "window inside window" problems on SNBforum. It's based on my experience and a few suggestions in this thread after the issue being repeatedly reported here and elsewhere.

Generally it won't apply to other websites. So if you're seeing issues with Microsoft Store as well as Windows Update, the diagnosis proposed in #2578 will be able to open up the problem and bring it forward.