What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I liked that before Christmas. If we're going by that calendar/lifecycle, @kvic can't delay much longer: we've gone from birth to death/resurrection/eternal life.

Interesting. You're the first reported case of crash on 64-bit ARMv8. Note that the 64-bit build is relatively new for pixelserv-tls (and I believe Entware as a whole as well).

I wonder if other RT-AC86 users experience the same. Pls all running the 64-bit version help to keep an eye on crashes and report back..

At the moment, I've no clue to what might have caused the crash. I'll see if some traces could be added later for diagnosis.

Installed the latest 64-bit Entware and the 64-bit version of pixelserv 2.1.0-test.7 on my RT-AC86U, no crashes thus far. Have only been up 20 minutes. Installing certs on devices now, really easy to do with the URI /ca.crt option.

Up for 2 days.
pixelserv-tls 2.1.0-test.7 (compiled: Mar 14 2018 21:00:59) options: 192.168.1.2
182327 uts, 1 log, 4 kcc, 32 kmx, 2.37 kvg, 2678 krq, 21183 req, 1631 avg, 30989 rmx, 23 tav, 5490 tmx, 16623 slh, 136 slm, 0 sle, 1747 slc, 2361 slu, 100 sct, 7173 sch, 65 scm, 15 scp, 1 sst, 1898 ssh, 73 ssm, 0 ssp, 13162 nfe, 90 gif, 1 ico, 606 txt, 14 jpg, 18 png, 0 swf, 16 sta, 3 stt, 158 ufe, 50 opt, 924 pst, 17 hed, 128 rdr, 0 nou, 0 pth, 0 204, 29 bad, 42 tmo, 1757 cls, 1672 cly, 0 clt, 0 err

+7 today. 33 to go. I've dm'd 7 recent posters in this thread. Sometimes ocd is a good thing.

Impressive progress :)

There are way more than 100 ppl beta testing in the Km cycle. Perhaps we shall show some love and encourage ppl to sign up SNB and cast their voices.

I liked that before Christmas. If we're going by that calendar/lifecycle, @kvic can't delay much longer: we've gone from birth to death/resurrection/eternal life.

I've already drafted up a plan before a crisis could happen. It requires a bit of time to pull it off. Hence, no commitment is made yet. The goals are:
  • fit nicely into the existing stack of software (Unbound/Dnsmasq/AB-Solution or other scripts/etc)
  • super fast and earth-shaking in adblock on this planet..
  • the plan need to be executed in an alien language. To get myself prepared to be among the first migrating to Mars.

It's a very nice reminder to serious pixelserv-tls users. There is also a sequel to the article: v2 benchmark.

For v2.1, I've only done some casual benchmark so far. The SSL cache is working well and doing its job in places as exactly designed. Some of the details is described in this post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...bserver-for-adblock.26114/page-64#post-389153

Installed the latest 64-bit Entware and the 64-bit version of pixelserv 2.1.0-test.7 on my RT-AC86U, no crashes thus far. Have only been up 20 minutes. Installing certs on devices now, really easy to do with the URI /ca.crt option.

Great! 64-bit has never been an issue on X86 but we need more RT-AC86 users to rule out any possible bugs in the new 64-bit wonderland.

Great! 64-bit has never been an issue on X86 but we need more RT-AC86 users to rule out any possible bugs in the new 64-bit wonderland.

What is the recommended method for moving from x86 to x64? Is it necessary to uninstall Pixelserv-tls first and Entware or can you run an install of Entware x64 on top of the x86 to switch followed by a switch of PS version?

What is the recommended method for moving from x86 to x64? Is it necessary to uninstall Pixelserv-tls first and Entware or can you run an install of Entware x64 on top of the x86 to switch followed by a switch of PS version?
After two monumental disastrous attempts to upgrade on my 86U, I finally did a complete new install of Entware, Pixelserv-tls, AB-Solution, Skynet and DNSCrypt. AB-Solution and Skynet have backup mechanisms in place to make it relatively easy.

@kvic AC86U running for two weeks without a whimper from Pixelserv arm8.

Regarding moving Entware from 32-bit to 64-bit, I didn't have the HW to experience it. Looking at Entware's design, I'm afraid there is no shortcut. It's way cleaner for you to reinstall from scratch.

It's possible to retain both 32-bit and 64-bit at the same time and achieve some kind of "dual boot" but let's not digress into that. Trust @Butterfly Bones ' first-hand experience :)

For ABS and SkyNet, you can keep existing versions. They don't have 32-bit/64-bit differentiation. But in case you you install all on the same thumb drive, and use ABS to mange Entware install. Easiest for you is perhaps starting from scratch and restore from ABS/SkyNet backups (if they do).

For pixelserv-tls, there is 32-bit and 64-bit binary difference. Once you have Entware 64-bit installed, "opkg install pixelserv-tls" again or use ABS to reinstall for you too.

Then if you want to try the latest pixelerv-tls beta, run the one-liner script and then pick "armv8" 64-bit binary.

@kvic AC86U running for two weeks without a whimper from Pixelserv arm8.

Sweet! I hope @esco have figured out a bit more information on the stability issue. Perhaps worth trying re-installing Entware 64-bit from scratch.

Separately..

Over the past few days, I've seen quite many servstats from you all. One number (slu) cannot put me to sleep at night (*cough*). It's unusually higher than I would expect for some ppl. And seriously..it can't be all caused by clients without the CA cert imported.

Then it must be me and broken compatibility with certain clients since one of the Km versions. The bug is hunted down and fixed in next version.

In addition, pixelserv-tls will consume less CPU for the same amount of workload. We'll also have wider compatibility with older clients that were never supported in pixelserv-tls before... at no additional expense of resource nor computation.

Next test version will be out in 10 hours if it doesn't crash on me.

I have no issue with the slu when using android browser. But in my ipad mini4 , all sites request can see increase in slu. The ca.crt already installed in profile. Wonder why...
There is no issue with the ad block just the slu..... cert are cache properly I think when using mini 4

Thank you very much kivc - for lightning speed upgrade.
MEM% is about 5.3. Also noticed sst fell from time to time.

Today I updated Asuswrt-Merlin to 384.4 and reboot router.
Noticed that one CPU swing around 1x-2x% for hours. However, it fell to near zero after another router reboot.

slu is very large compared to req though.
Good news. No folks at home felt any noticeable slowness though slu is very large :)

https://prnt.sc/isdfgs
https://prnt.sc/isdfvj

What is the recommended method for moving from x86 to x64?
After two monumental disastrous attempts to upgrade on my 86U, I finally did a complete new install of Entware
For ABS and SkyNet, you can keep existing versions. They don't have 32-bit/64-bit differentiation. But in case you you install all on the same thumb drive, and use ABS to mange Entware install. Easiest for you is perhaps starting from scratch and restore from ABS/SkyNet backups (if they do).
I'll add a selection for 32bit or 64bit Entware install for aarch64 architecture routers in a update later today in AB-Solution 3.11.
This will only be available for new installs. A migration from 32 to 64bit with an existing installation is NOT recommended.

I have no issue with the slu when using android browser. But in my ipad mini4 , all sites request can see increase in slu. The ca.crt already installed in profile. Wonder why...
There is no issue with the ad block just the slu..... cert are cache properly I think when using mini 4
I can confirm this. In my network the slu kreps increasing when a ipad mini is in use. Not to mention the device has cert installed.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

in my network there is a iphone 6, the cert is installed, but this causes me a high slu value. now 2 days after 8466

@kvic

I've solved my case by deleting everything under mnt\var\cache\pixelserv and re-generating ca.cert and of course importing the new one to my clients. Currently my adblocker is turned off and I don't think to turn it on again :)

http://prntscr.com/isfnvy

New beta version 2.1.0-rc.1

Thanks again for all the GREAT feedback. Never ignore the value of a simple drop-off of servstats. They're very inspirational to inspect how well pixelserv-tls performs and lead to discovery of new bugs!

We're going into the phase of picking a release candidate. Nevertheless, this version brings in support for a wider population of clients when needed. Now devices from the past decade shall be able to connect over HTTPS. Also, notably a bug related to slu is fixed that may contribute to large portion of counts in some situations.

As usual, you can read all the changes and details on kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls.

Entware (ARMv7, mipsel, ARMv8) users can use the one liner below as usual or otherwise to install.

Code:
sh -c "$(wget -qO - https://kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls/install-beta.sh)"
Will appreciate any feedback.