What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone is building pixelserv-tls for Edgerouter-X aka mipsel Debian? Would be great to hear from you..I tried to build but got stuck in the last 1% and I'm running short of time this weekend.

I believe pixelserv-tls would be very happy with 4 cores on ER-X versus 2 cores on ARM Cortext A9.

AMD64 users with 'many cores' shall see better speed than what I got with pixelserv-tls running on RT-AC56U in pixelserv-tls : More is Less.

Methodology is documented there. Encourage people to run your own tests. Would love to hear surprises, good or bad.

An experimental binary for Edgerouter X is available from the same Github release page. Note that timing related counters don't work yet. Other features seem to be fully working.

The binary shall also work on any mipsel Debian 7 systems.

ER-X vs 56U. 880Mhz 4C vs 800Mhz 2C. Quick and dirty tests show speed improvement over 56U from a few % to over 20%.

By the coming Christmas eve, if there are 100 or more pixelserv-tls users, I promise to tell the community on Boxing day.
Be prepared to be busy around Boxing day then ;).
Over any random 3 day period I count about 170 downloads of the addon file pixelserv-tls.add through wget on my server.

Over any random 3 day period I count about 170 downloads of the addon file pixelserv-tls.add through wget on my server.
Thank you for saving the day. Only 11 people have liked that post, and I was afraid kvic had set the bar too high with an impossibly underrepresented sample. I wonder how many downloads he's seen of the kl tests.

Wrong thread, but how many ab-s installs do you think are active in total, and how many pixelserv through ab-s?

No issues here after 2 days with test5

Let's make it a bit more fun..

People who are using pixelserv-tls come out and stand up. You can either reply to this thread to claim you're a user or if too lazy simply like post #608. By the coming Christmas eve, if there are 100 or more pixelserv-tls users, I promise to tell the community on Boxing day.

Liked and a reply! I'm a user of pixelserv-tls

Thank you for saving the day. Only 11 people have liked that post, and I was afraid kvic had set the bar too high with an impossibly underrepresented sample. I wonder how many downloads he's seen of the kl tests.
I doubt that useful download stats can be pried out of GitHub's statistics pages. They are making it difficult to see such numbers.
Wrong thread, but how many ab-s installs do you think are active in total, and how many pixelserv through ab-s?
OK, also off topic:
One motivation for me to code AB-Solution is to prove that such an app can be made as a simple shell script. Another motivator is: because I like what I do.

But this is all fruitless if no one is using it. Therefore, stats are also important to me to find out if I do any good with AB-Solution.
I have Piwik enabled on the website to see how widespread interest is. However, Piwik is not helpful with wget downloads through the AB UI, these stats I extract from the web server log files directly.
Without going into details, a good guess can be made from the download stats of certain files. For example, the automated update notification leaves a differing footprint than the cu function does in the log files.
From extraction and cross-comparison I can safely say that the user base of AB-Solution is well beyond 10,000 active installations, most of them have pixelserv-tls installed through it.

Liked and a reply! I'm a another user of pixelserv-tls ;)

Let's make it a bit more fun..

People who are using pixelserv-tls come out and stand up. You can either reply to this thread to claim you're a user or if too lazy simply like post #608. By the coming Christmas eve, if there are 100 or more pixelserv-tls users, I promise to tell the community on Boxing day.
@kvic Liked and replied from Spain, I'm a happy user of pixelserv-tls. Thanks

@kvic I am a GRATEFUL user of pixelserv-tls. I am also using an old opwenwrt version I found on github on my GL iNet AR300M travel router combined with a small dnsmasq ad blocker.

I would bet there are an untold amount of users like myself. I started participating on this board for just the last year or so, but I have been using the scripts and software that people make for, 10 years now that I think about it. I definitely remember @mstombs from some of those early days. (I looked it up. http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/all-u-need-ad-blocking-by-yaqui.26544/#post-124420)

There are a ton of people who silently use the things you folks make. The anonymous nature of the internet naturally leads to most of the people, especially if they don't run into problems, staying quiet about it. I found this board googling for something related to my long since retired wrt54gl, and started lurking it because of the good topics and conversation. Wasn't too long that I decided that things would be easier if I got a router with a USB port. Then I saw the ARM performance in the AC68U. So I got one. Then I discovered asuswrt. And eventually the fork. And entware-ng. etc. etc. etc.

Point is, the work that you folks here do has worth far beyond what you're aware of.

So.. check this one out. I had ~6000 requests or so sometime earlier this afternoon when I checked it. The tav was sitting at 31 ms at the time, and the krq was ~40 something. And then at some point this evening, something crushed it. kvg, tav, and krq now at silly-out-of-the-ordinary values.

gAER8cV.png

I would bet there are an untold amount of users like myself. I started participating on this board for just the last year or so, but I have been using the scripts and software that people make for, 10 years now that I think about it. I definitely remember @mstombs from some of those early days. (I looked it up. http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/all-u-need-ad-blocking-by-yaqui.26544/#post-124420)

Still here!, pixelserv.c prompted by the comment here, that it can't be done, but I had been adblocking with dnsmasq for many years before
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/pixelserv-compiled-to-run-on-router-wrt54g.30509/
took a while until real programmers picked it up!

53 alerts on my login. I've never seen that many during my years' presence on this forum.

Thank you everyone! A great pleasure to see so many users of pixelserv-tls.

And thank you @thelonelycoder, we're only less than half way through, and still plenty of time left :)

@tom-

Looking at your and jrmwvu04's servstats, i'm convinced OPTIONS and HEAD requests come up often. Btw, your 'slc' is almost twice of 'slh'. It's not convenient to install the CA cert on your devices or simply can't due to black box nature?

@jrmwvu04

7 for 'kvg' and 4ms for 'tav' show impressive performance. I hope 'tav' < tens of ms is norm for everyone with mostly LAN clients.

KL-test6 is available.

Test6 only comes with minor change not to output binary POST content to syslog as it upsets some syslog implementations.

More details are here.

Recently I'm also thrilled to learn from a gentleman that pixelserv-tls is used in a project of global scale with A LOT of users. Interested people may check out this thread on XDA.

Another good three day sample from my environment suggests these things. Updating to test6.

dBJYDTf.png
Hey there, pixelserv has a way to view stats?
I have seen the option to be viewed as text or HTML when running pixelserv-tls -h, though is there a specific port number to be placed after the router address to see this??

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk