What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So. I've searched through this thread and can't find the right answer.

I'm upgrading my thumbdrive to run the latest Skynet. How do I restore my Pixelserv-TLS certs? Do I just copy them into the same directory on the new thumbdrive?

How do I restore my Pixelserv-TLS certs? Do I just copy them into the same directory on the new thumbdrive?

Do back up ca.crt and ca.key IF you haven't done so. And restore back on new drive. It'll save you time to import a new CA cert.

Don't worry about those auto-generated certs. They'll be generated again if purged.

You can copy to a different drive, and copy back. If you do so, *make sure* Linux file permissions are properly preserved.

OK great! In progress.

Hopefully a new rc.3 could be put up for more people to test in the coming few days.

A quick update.

All my tests so far show <10MB RAM limits. Depends on browsers (Chrome vs Safari), and tests (browsers remain open or frequently re-launched). The limits are between 5MB to 9MB. Run-time is still short so barely conclusive. Shall be able to let more people try and get feedback for the weekend.

New beta version 2.1.0-rc.3

Thanks again for all the GREAT feedback and patience.

rc.3 brings improved memory efficiency, and binary for EdgeRouter-X.

Recommended for everyone.

For ER-X users, pls follow this guide to install v2.0.1 first, and then manually download the test binary from release page.

Entware (ARMv7, ARMv8 and mipsel) users could run the one liner below or otherwise to install the test version.

Code:
sh -c "$(wget -qO - https://kazoo.ga/pixelserv-tls/install-beta.sh)"
Will appreciate any feedback.

The numbers look very nice.

I knew your router would be only using half of your RAM system wide. For pixelserv-tls process itself, how much RAM does it consume at the moment?

You can look it up in htop (column MEM% row pixelserv-tls). To install "opkg install htop"
mem is 4.6

How do I compile it exactly to install it as a .deb on ER-X? Thanks.

How do I compile it exactly to install it as a .deb on ER-X? Thanks.

That's a $10k question. I hope to release a source deb in future but that only solves 10% of the process.

If you want to run pixelserv-tls, I recommend you follow the above instructions to run the binary for now.

htop MEM% 1.2 pixelserv-tls

Thanks for posting the feedback so quickly. From your signature, I take AC86U with 500MB. 1.2% is about 5MB. This amount is about expectation on a relatively short runtime but also depends number of requests processed.

On my RT-56U it's about 5.8MB after up for 4 hrs and 750 requests.

after 4 hours RC3 mem is 2.0

this is what it looks like:
pixelserv-tls 2.1.0-rc.3 (compiled: Mar 29 2018 19:28:58) options: 192.168.1.2
15165 uts, 1 log, 8 kcc, 42 kmx, 1.86 kvg, 510 krq, 2767 req, 1844 avg, 26846 rmx, 52 tav, 4488 tmx, 2646 slh, 12 slm, 0 sle, 62 slc, 28 slu, 81 sct, 1258 sch, 6 scm, 0 scp, 4 sst, 463 ssh, 14 ssm, 0 ssp, 1431 nfe, 8 gif, 0 ico, 215 txt, 1 jpg, 4 png, 0 swf, 4 sta, 1 stt, 32 ufe, 9 opt, 307 pst, 25 hed, 42 rdr, 0 nou, 0 pth, 0 204, 8 bad, 7 tmo, 62 cls, 572 cly, 0 clt, 0 err

after 4 hours RC3 mem is 2.0

this is what it looks like:

Good to hear from a 500MB RAM router.

2% is less than half of your previous number (after a few days of runtime). Still early to judge but given you gathered number of slh that I have to spend a few days to collect. 2% looks fair so far.

rc3 - 3 hours, mixed usage between normal and aggressive browsing - 4800 requests, memory usage less than that of dnsmasq at this point at 1.8%

rc3 - 3 hours, mixed usage between normal and aggressive browsing - 4800 requests, memory usage less than that of dnsmasq at this point at 1.8%

My dnsmasq at 5.4% and pixelserv-tls at 2.4% at the moment.

dnsmasq isn't the fattest process though. That crown goes to SmokePing (a daemon written in PERL).

So imagine the very first pixelserv in 2003 (~30 lines of code written in PERL) even though simple shall be quite fat in those years.

edit:

A bit HISTORY on pixelserv-tls from the man page.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the feedback so quickly. From your signature, I take AC86U with 500MB. 1.2% is about 5MB. This amount is about expectation on a relatively short runtime but also depends number of requests processed.

On my RT-56U it's about 5.8MB after up for 4 hrs and 750 requests.

wait-- 5.8MB is what % of the router's RAM? is that a mipsel based router?
(If so, I should do the update on my n66u)

Latest memory stats for rc3 on my 68U

After 14 hrs, 2.6% for me. We're close. lol

wait-- 5.8MB is what % of the router's RAM? is that a mipsel based router?
(If so, I should do the update on my n66u)

That was from a RT-AC56U, out of total 250MB RAM.

You shall give it a try on N66. I recall I never heard feedback on the mipsel binary in this Km cycle.

If people only plan to run one instance of pixelserv-tls, then stay on your fastest router/machine. Otherwise, can setup a cluster e.g. I have a cluster of two instances - one on RT-56 one on ER-X.

After 14 hrs, 2.6% for me. We're close. lol

That was from a RT-AC56U, out of total 250MB RAM.

You shall give it a try on N66. I recall I never heard feedback on the mipsel binary in this Km cycle.

If people only plan to run one instance of pixelserv-tls, then stay on your fastest router/machine. Otherwise, can setup a cluster e.g. I have a cluster of two instances - one on RT-56 one on ER-X.
I have a 3100 & a 68u, set as an AP. Currently only running on the 3100. Can I run another instance on the AP? How would that be setup? I guess the ultimate question is how much real world noticeable diff would a home user see, given the speed of pixelserv already. I realize that is likely yet to be determined by testing.